Okay so basically I'm going to start to learn the guitar starting in Spring. I'm going to play at least an hour or two a day untill summer, from there I'll practice all day, everyday untill summer ends. Once Summer ends I'll practice about 5 hours a day untill January (sept-Jan). By January how good do think I'll be? Will I still be considered 'decent' or would I be considered good, or really good...Or...?

For a reference point, I remember my dad (a really good guitairst) calling me a natural when he was showing me some chords a few days ago.

It's not the amount of time in my opinion. How good you will be considered, will be based on how good you ARE, not how long you've been playing
Quote by Chilly Breeze
It's not the amount of time in my opinion. How good you will be considered, will be based on how good you ARE, not how long you've been playing

So more of a matter of if i can create great, original guitar riffs/solos, etc? alright then
Wait and see?

There's no real way to tell. You may not enjoy guitar as much as you think you will, and maybe only play an hour a day. You may give up entirely, You could go on vacation for a week in the summer and not a bring a guitar.. Too many variables. And alot of is not how much your playing, but what you're playing. Like, if I play Blink-182 and Green Day songs songs 12 hours a day, It doesn't mean I'll be better than the guy who does 10 minutes of Dream Theater a day.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
No one can answer your question...honestly...it depends on you as a person. Every guitarist is different, and their affinity to learn,...only way to gauge your ability is to record some of your best playing and let other people critique it.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Quote by bobsinclarfan
For a reference point, I remember my dad (a really good guitairst) calling me a natural when he was showing me some chords a few days ago.

Well...shouldn't you ask your dad then instead of anonymous internet people.

Seriously, being that he knows you, you'll probably get a much better answer because everyone learns at a different pace. And, don't hurt yourself. Not joking, I know of at least two people who practiced obsessively and got nerve damage in their wrists.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
It's how much you are determined, not how long you've been playing.

"Live to Win!'Till you Die!..."
Quote by Doodleface
Wait and see?

There's no real way to tell. You may not enjoy guitar as much as you think you will, and maybe only play an hour a day. You may give up entirely, You could go on vacation for a week in the summer and not a bring a guitar.. Too many variables. And alot of is not how much your playing, but what you're playing. Like, if I play Blink-182 and Green Day songs songs 12 hours a day, It doesn't mean I'll be better than the guy who does 10 minutes of Dream Theater a day.

That's basically what I meant. You can't say "if i practise 5 hours a day for 6 months will I be good?" and expect to get a real answer. You could be playing totally out of tune and out of time for 5 hours a day,in which case, you would just get worse....

I'd say just play when you feel like playing and see what happens. Just make sure you can play in tune and in time
Nobody can say -- there are some people that are natural, some people that are not. Most people learn best in short spurts - I wouldn't go more than a couple of hours at a time.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Doodleface
Wait and see?

Right right I see what you mean. About the giving up thing, I can't do that since in 3-5 years my goal is to be in a big huge rock band. I need to start practicing if I want to do that. About the music I'll be playing, Yeah I'll start off with greenday etc. and then work my way up. BUT I have to add that just because somebody does not write immensly complex guitar work does not make him a bad guitairst. For example I'd prepfer the guitarist in red hot chili peppers or jimi hendrix over John Petrucci.

Btw, if you're curious about my rock band idea i'll be glad to tell you
Yeah good luck mate. Maybe by the end of the summer you could save for some robots fingers because yours will have melted into the fretboard. Its incredibly hard to play and concentrate for that long. And if you dont concentrate, you get tired and you dont take things in, then you make mistakes and get annoyed at your instument and yourself. By all means practice every day, but when you feel stressed or feel like you cant progress any further that day then stop. Maybe go back to it in the evening or leave it till the next morning.
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Just pick up the guitar and learn to play, man. Hell, I knew nothing a year ago and I'm getting pretty decent now simply because I practice a lot. It helps a lot if you got someone to teach you too and you said you father can play very well so you're set, man. I practice an hour a day but I had to learn everything by myself. With your father's help you'll definitely get decent in a year, thats for sure. Anything beyond that will depend on you. I'd LOVE to be able to play like John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert, but it'll never happen if I don't keep practicing. To be a good musician it takes years of practice. There are some exception like Zakk Wylde who got really good real fast, but we're talking about a guy who dedicated his whole life to the instrument so don't expect to be a god unless you have the same kind of dedication.
guaranteed you're not going to be practicing 5 hours a day for 5 months.
your hand will turn into a claw
Quote by bobsinclarfan
Right right I see what you mean. About the giving up thing, I can't do that since in 3-5 years my goal is to be in a big huge rock band. I need to start practicing if I want to do that. About the music I'll be playing, Yeah I'll start off with greenday etc. and then work my way up. BUT I have to add that just because somebody does not write immensly complex guitar work does not make him a bad guitairst. For example I'd prepfer the guitarist in red hot chili peppers or jimi hendrix over John Petrucci.

hahah
just go with the flow dude...dont worry about progressing super fast....and its not that important....moderation is important.....dont play when your not in the mood..and dont play when your fed up with practising.
Quote by bobsinclarfan
What's so funny

I think its your enthusiasm for being in 'a huge rock band', have to admit it made me chuckle.
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Wow this is real ****** weird, whenever I try to post how i'll be in the biggest rock band on the planet, my browser freezes, too much text? wtf
Quote by bobsinclarfan

I wished the "lolwut" pear was allowed to show his glorius face...
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Play for fun. If you force yourself to practice like that you'll burn out and never want to see a guitar again.
Practice every day, by all means, but don't force it. The minute you start dreading practice is the minute you start growing apart from the instrument. Learned that the hard way, myself. Not to say the discipline isn't a good thing, but a day off now and then won't kill you. And a half-hour of hard, focused practice is better than a couple hours of wishy-washy practice. The "I'm going to practice so much and get so good!" mentality is horrible, if you ask me. Not that I blame you, I think most of us have been guilty of it! .

Just some food for thought. Good luck!
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
I don't think this is the way to go about learning guitar...

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I practiced all the time, and all I could play is Dammit by Blink 182 for years. It depends on the person, you could be shredding at this time, or you could barely be able to play a beatles song.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Amen.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by bobsinclarfan

You really haven't listened to Frusciante or Hendrix
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!