So I've had this volume pedal for a while and I was pretty disappointed, since it seemed to mainly "clean up" my sound rather than act as a master volume control. That was when it was in my pedal chain going directly from the guitar into my amp. However, yesterday I "discovered" my effect loop at the back of my amp which has a plug for "send" and a plug for "receive". I plugged my volume pedal into that and it worked more like a master volume, which is what I'd intended it for in the first place.

So.. what should I use for the rest of my pedals? What are the advantages of a loop as compared to direct input? (I don't know if there's a proper name for that method) And what's the main difference between the two... (as in, where does the signal go in each method and would the signal survive better in loop or not?). I'm kind of new to the whole pedal scene so I've just started dicking around with these types of things. Thanks in advance!
Direct input would put the effects before any modulation in the amp while effect loop puts it after. When you had the volume before the amp it would lessen the input into the amp and change the amount of distortion if you had it on that channel while in the effects loop it will bring down the overall volume.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Last edited by Mettliccaa at Feb 11, 2008,
Right now I just have a wah, eq, and a digital effects pedal (which I don't use much anymore). I've also ordered a whammy from my guitar store. My amp is a Valvetronix AD100VT so it actually has a bunch of effects on it already.
My amp is a modelling amp (Valvetronix as I said above)... and I've heard that pedals sometimes don't work well with modelling amps. Would putting it through the effects loop lessen or compound whatever problem exists between pedals and modelling amps?
I don't really see it causing any problems, but depending on the effect type it's possible it would interact differently I think.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
You'll probably want to put the EQ in the effects loop . . . the whammy, I think it would go in the loop as well, but I'm not sure. If you move on to a bigger amp someday and have any delay, reverb, chorus, flange, anything that fluctuates pitch, that kind of stuff *generally* goes into the loop. But experiment with it.
+1^ The way it was explained to me, the only things that go well in the effects loop are time-based effects such as reverb, delay, & chorus. Throw the flanger & phaser in there, too. Wahs always come before the amp, as do overdrives & distortions since they color your signal before they hit the amp.

Try experimenting with the EQ placement...it will most likely produce different outcomes based on where it's at. If you put it before the amp, the signal will be altered before it hits the amp and you'll have to adjust your amp knobs to compensate. Some people like it this way. In the loop, it'll be working off the way the amp is already set. I might suggest that if you use it in the loop you save it until the end of the chain.