Page 1 of 2
Just what the title says, how much do teachers get paid?

Also, do any of you have any idea how much college professors get paid a year? I'm thinking about these as a career.

Also, when I go to college for it, will I spend more time learning to become a teacher, or learning about the subject I want to teach. (H.S. Algebra, or better yet number theory at a college).

Thanks.
What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
Not as bad as everyone thinks. Plus they get summers off. The school does remove a percentage of ever check though, so they can pay it back to you during the summer.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by HaKattack
Not enough.

+1

Number Theory is cool but I prefer Topology.
I'm sure google would yield better answers.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
not enough for what they do, if you had to sit in a room for 8 periods a day with a bunch of rowdy, disrespectful, jackasses of kids for what they get paid, i would not be suprised if you commited suicide, they work alot harder than they get paid for.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
ithink you're average middle-high school teacher gets paid around 50,000. Once they've gained some seniority and what not.

And i think college professors can make in the 6 figures.
I doubt anyone in the pit will know anything about this subject.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
i don't know how much teachers get paid... but i do know a teacher who is great in bed!!! and by great in bed i mean she's 25 and im 19... and it was awesome... like 8 times... or more... and awesome. and i just pwned everyone here

sorry... i had to tell someone, can't tell any of my friends or family because of obvious reasons
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
It depends on where you teach. In a rural area, you may not earn $30,000 in a year, but you can earn in the $50k range in an urban area. My mom was a teacher in a rural area until last year, and she had to take a second job in order to afford to support the family.

As far as professors, it all depends on whether you have tenure or not. Just know that aside from teaching you will also be expected to do research and academic papers. I can't give exact numbers, but it's not a large amount. Professors here at Mizzou don't really tell their salaries to everyone. It is better than a high school teacher will earn, though.
Last edited by ccmu at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by nasstyman
i don't know how much teachers get paid... but i do know a teacher who is great in bed!!! and by great in bed i mean she's 25 and im 19... and it was awesome... like 8 times... or more... and awesome. and i just pwned everyone here

sorry... i had to tell someone, can't tell any of my friends or family because of obvious reasons

wow no one believes you..
and in nj its about 45000 for a high school teacher
Quote by nasstyman

Like the fact that it's a dirty filthy lie?
<Han> I love Hitler
My, I'm impressed . No one here cares either, don't worry.
edit: Obviously directed at nasstyman.

And If you're seriously considering those careers, the pay should be one of the last things on your mind.
Who dat?
Both my parents are teachers, in UK they earn £30,000 as a head of department in a private school, start at around £18k though.

However, being a professor is TOTALLY different. You don't decide to be a professor then pick a subject, you pick a subject then become a professor, and probably the most important part of your job is research, not teaching. However, salaries reach £75kish in Uk which probably equates to low 6 figures in the US. On the other hand though, getting a job as a maths teacher is easy. University professorships are scarce and FIERCELY competetive. Its not an easy life and you have to be very talented and extremely passionate about your subject.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Quote by HaKattack
Like the fact that it's a dirty filthy lie?

i swear on my dead grandfathers grave(god rest his soul) and you dont' have to believe me but i know it happened. and it happened 8 times
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
Quote by Anarion614
And If you're seriously considering those careers, the pay should be one of the last things on your mind.

Are you kidding?

I like picking my arse but couldn't support a family on it's produce. If I got paid a decent wage for it then I'd definitely consider it as a career move.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by nasstyman
i swear on my dead grandfathers grave(god rest his soul) and you dont' have to believe me but i know it happened. and it happened 8 times

No it didn't.
Quote by HoldFastHope
No it didn't.

why doesn't anyone believe me. she wasn't an ex-teacher of mine. she was a teacher from another town that i met at a bar one night.
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Quote by Yakult
Are you kidding?

I like picking my arse but couldn't support a family on it's produce. If I got paid a decent wage for it then I'd definitely consider it as a career move.

If being a musician wasn't as glamorous as you see on TV (which it isn't, I know professional musicians) would you still play guitar? Not every choice you make in life should be what will pay the most. Being poor and truly happy working a job you love > being rich, miserable, and having to force yourself to work everyday because you hate it.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by nasstyman
why doesn't anyone believe me. she wasn't an ex-teacher of mine. she was a teacher from another town that i met at a bar one night.

Because you like Blink-182 and no one would sleep with an 18 year-old who still likes Blink-182.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by nasstyman

Of all of the bullshit stories on the internet, this is near the top of the list.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Just for future reference, it's probably a bad idea to ask The Pit what you should do with the rest of your life...just saying.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Because you like Blink-182 and no one would sleep with an 18 year-old who still likes Blink-182.

I find that offensive. I am 21 and I actually like a few Blink-182 songs.

But we all know it didn't happen. If it had, you wouldn't have changed your story to "it was some girl I met at a bar" when you started it off with "I had sex with my teacher I'm so cool."
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by pumpkins_rule

ok first of all, i joined 4 years ago and i admit to liking blink 182 at the time. not so much anymore... and i was 19 and she was 24 going on 25... and well fk, just believe me! lol i know it sounds outrageous and something you'd see in a movie or something but i swear im telling the truth....
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Quote by nasstyman

Because it was your sister?
oh i just give up... it happened. i have pics but ill be damned if im showing the pit lol i have better sense than that. you're just jealous thats all lol
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Quote by nasstyman
ok first of all, i joined 4 years ago and i admit to liking blink 182 at the time. not so much anymore... and i was 19 and she was 24 going on 25... and well fk, just believe me! lol i know it sounds outrageous and something you'd see in a movie or something but i swear im telling the truth....

Wait what are you doing in high school when you're 19.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by nasstyman

i hate to say it but its probally true.

I wouldnt of believed it either but a similar situation happened to me. Though not to the extent of his.
Quote by Rambo-Conny
Because it was your sister?

eww....

why would that even come in your mind.
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Wait what are you doing in high school when you're 19.

i graduated 2 years ago
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by tands

Not much. My mom is an English teacher at the local college/university and she's been working there for about 12 years and is making about $40k a year.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
My dad is vice principal of a Special School and he gets about £47,000. In secondary education a vice would get a bit more than that but a teacher quite a bit less.
Quote by an epic mistake
not enough for what they do, if you had to sit in a room for 8 periods a day with a bunch of rowdy, disrespectful, jackasses of kids for what they get paid, i would not be suprised if you commited suicide, they work alot harder than they get paid for.

Not all teachers have such a rough time with the kids. (At my school) maybe 10% are a little rowdy, but 99% are completely respectful and don't dare argue with a teacher over something trivial. And the ones that are a little rowdy atleast know when it's appropriate and when to stop. And some teachers jobs themselves don't really take anything out of them either. I don't think being a gym teacher would be too challenging. lol.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Not all teachers have such a rough time with the kids. (At my school) maybe 10% are a little rowdy, but 99% are completely respectful

Apparently they can't teach maths though

Nah, I'm just kidding. I know what you mean
Quote by SaXXoN
Apparently they can't teach maths though

Nah, I'm just kidding. I know what you mean

If your joking about my percentages being over 100, I believe you can be rowdy but still respectful. lol.
Quote by i have to pee
If being a musician wasn't as glamorous as you see on TV (which it isn't, I know professional musicians) would you still play guitar? Not every choice you make in life should be what will pay the most. Being poor and truly happy working a job you love > being rich, miserable, and having to force yourself to work everyday because you hate it.

Get off your high horse and wait a few years. We'll see if you still feel the same way when you have to support a family.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Hah, i thought the title said "how much do teachers get laid" and the first post was not enough.

meh, about 16.50 an hour, but a chunk of that goes to student loans and such.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
not enough....same with firmen and police officers...apparently educating the future and saving lives isnt as important as football players (who have million dollar contracts)

God Bless America!
Quote by rock_and_blues
not enough....same with firmen and police officers...apparently educating the future and saving lives isnt as important as football players (who have million dollar contracts)

God Bless America!

You can only pay employees as much as you have. Schools pay teachers based on what the state gives them, and the NFL pays players based on what fans/ads give them. It just so happens more money is spent by the public to the NFL than to taxes. Nobody simply decided football players should make more than teachers.
Page 1 of 2