Page 1 of 3
Hey everyone, I haven't seen a thread like this, or found any in search results so...

Anyone else interested in the occult? Things like magick, astrology, tarot, qabalah, etc.? I personally practice all of the above and just thought it would be a cool place for others to come in and discuss. I didn't think this should go in the religion thread because it really dosent have any religious connotations, and thought it would be instantly shot down in there.
I personally believe it to all be riffraff.

No offense to you, I just think it's all a bunch of bologna.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Nope. I'm Catholic.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
I find most of it to be quite annoying and full of itself, but that's because the majority of people I know who speak of such things tend to not know what they're talking about (ex: "studying magick has changed my life" next week, same person: "Being a Vampyre has changed my life." same person next week: "Studying the Boghadavita has changed my life, I love Hinduism [yes, they said Hinduism]". So i'm quite biased on the matter, take everything i say with a grain of salt.

Although, I am relatively interested in anything occult.
Quote by dudetheman
I personally believe it to all be riffraff.

No offense to you, I just think it's all a bunch of bologna.

Oh, by all means none taken....unless you've expereinced it, it's hard to take it seriously...just ask Jimmy Page, or Tool, or Behemoth

EDIT: I couldn't agree with you more Soopo, those people piss me off too, they bring the whole thing down. I've found most of those people are just confused teenagers who say that stuff because its Taboo, and they want the attention it gets, and to look like non conformists
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by rock_and_blues
Oh, by all means none taken....unless you've expereinced it, it's hard to take it seriously...just ask Jimmy Page, or Tool, or Behemoth

I don't really believe in much of anything I can't see, or at least see evidence of.

I believe religion is a human illusion developed to divert people's fear of death. They make up these ways that they will "live on after death", when in reality, the death they speak of isn't death at all. Death is a cease to exist. People have a hard time believing they will just cease to exist, so they conjure up false hopes to protect themselves from the truth.

As much as I hate to quote Al Gore, I'd rather be faced with an inconvenient truth than a fairy tale of lies.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by delicious
I used to, but then the people I hung out with, who got me into it, revealed how big of idiots they were.(Not because they studied the occult, they were just idiots. )

why would that keep you from your studies?
Personally I like the general concept of occult, I like it in my movies, books, pictures and games but when people say the study tarot, wicca or whatever and say it's true I can't say I believe it.

Mostly because whenever I've talked to someone about it who does "practice" they come off like such an elitist, clueless retard I wish I carried knives to disperse them into the other person's body. But I'm sure there's nice people practicing it too, I have a tendency to run into the dumbasses before the smart ones.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Personally I like the general concept of occult, I like it in my movies, books, pictures and games but when people say the study tarot, wicca or whatever and say it's true I can't say I believe it.

Mostly because whenever I've talked to someone about it who does "practice" they come off like such an elitist, clueless retard I wish I carried knives to disperse them into the other person's body. But I'm sure there's nice people practicing it too, I have a tendency to run into the dumbasses before the smart ones.

Believe me the dumbasses outweigh the smart ones...and it really sucks for legitamate practicioners...

also wicca is a joke and serves no purpose here (along with that picture of lucifer)
I'm moderately skeptic, so I don't really believe in much of it. Some of it is very interesting, though.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I don't believe in it per se, however I do find it quite interesting and I really like the art that it inspires. (Music, movies, paintings, etc.)
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
you live in a fantasy world. sorry, but i have no respect for anyone who does that kind of stuff.
Quote by rock_and_blues

EDIT: I couldn't agree with you more Soopo, those people piss me off too, they bring the whole thing down. I've found most of those people are just confused teenagers who say that stuff because its Taboo, and they want the attention it gets, and to look like non conformists

by saying that im assuming that you have experienced something that made you believe it. and if you dont mind me asking, what did you experience/see happen that made you interested in it? im just kind curious cause i find it interesting to find out why people believe what they believe.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
As a physicist I know that there's a lot out there that's just unexplainable. I think that there's definitely a grain of truth in a lot of occult stuff, even if the idea behind it is horribly surrounded by a lot of crap.

I'm really into my meditation and spiritualism, even though I haven't put much time into it for a while (for various reasons), and it's definitely opened my eyes to a whole host of things that I would probably dismiss outright otherwise.

Quote by NoLaurelTree000
by saying that im assuming that you have experienced something that made you believe it. and if you dont mind me asking, what did you experience/see happen that made you interested in it? im just kind curious cause i find it interesting to find out why people believe what they believe.

For me, personally, I've experienced consciously leaving my body and going places and seeing things that can't just be explained away as "the brain doing weird things". The fact that countless people report similar exit / entrance situations and going to similar places gives it added credibility.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Feb 11, 2008,
Yessss. Keep this thread, and I'll participate actively.
I'm a practicing pagan, and will do my best to answer any questions, so long as everyone can keep it a neutral, respecting, informative environment.

I've thought about making an "Only Paganism Thread" in the past, but lacked the motivation. xD Thanks for making it, though.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Yessss. Keep this thread, and I'll participate actively.
I'm a practicing pagan, and will do my best to answer any questions, so long as everyone can keep it a neutral, respecting, informative environment.

I've thought about making an "Only Paganism Thread" in the past, but lacked the motivation. xD Thanks for making it, though.

Care to give us a basic idea of what it means, to you, to be Pagan? What does it entail? What do you believe? Why?

I'm not asking this aggressively, I'm asking it because I'm genuinely curious
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
To NoLaurelTree000

I got interested in the occult through Jimmy Page when i was young, who was a big fan of a guy named Aleister Crowley, I reasearched him and his ideas fascinated me....so i just kept digging deeper and deeper till i got where I am today. What experiences have i had to make me believe in the validity of the occult? I've had tarot readings come true, felt the effects of magickal rituals, seen peoples personalities and habits match those attributed to their astrological sign, etc...overall there was just a "clicking"....it worked for me, which was enough for me...call it blind faith (which in reality is what it is) but it just seemed like the right path for me....it may not be for you or anyone else, but we make our own choices in life.

by the way Frottage....why post if all you have to say is negative and not constructive . Someone with a jesus avatar has alot of balls talking about fantasy worlds
Quote by rock_and_blues
Believe me the dumbasses outweigh the smart ones...and it really sucks for legitamate practicioners...

also wicca is a joke and serves no purpose here (along with that picture of lucifer)

So the other ones are... real?

Quote by Yakult
For me, personally, I've experienced consciously leaving my body and going places and seeing things that can't just be explained away as "the brain doing weird things". .

Me too!

Mostly after some marijuana.

Quote by Yakult
The fact that countless people report similar exit / entrance situations and going to similar places gives it added credibility.

"Similar places"?

Also, just because more people says it it doesn't mean it's true. Then we might just as well believe in UFOs, bigfoot, loch ness monster and that I'm not the callipygian superhero I appear to be.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by rock_and_blues
To NoLaurelTree000

I got interested in the occult through Jimmy Page when i was young, who was a big fan of a guy named Aleister Crowley, I reasearched him and his ideas fascinated me....so i just kept digging deeper and deeper till i got where I am today. What experiences have i had to make me believe in the validity of the occult? I've had tarot readings come true, felt the effects of magickal rituals, seen peoples personalities and habits match those attributed to their astrological sign, etc...overall there was just a "clicking"....it worked for me, which was enough for me...call it blind faith (which in reality is what it is) but it just seemed like the right path for me....it may not be for you or anyone else, but we make our own choices in life.

by the way Frottage....why post if all you have to say is negative and not constructive . Someone with a jesus avatar has alot of balls talking about fantasy worlds

i understand what you are saying but what makes you believe that it is just more than coincidence, like eventually someone is going to match up with thier astrological sign. i dont pretend to have a lot of expierence with this sort of thing, but most from what i have seen, when it comes to psychics, tarot cards, etc., it seems like they are just making very broad statements and then they let you choose how to apply it to your life. for example a psychic would say something like "i feel that you have experienced a great loss recently in your life", to which you could apply that to anything from your grandfather dying, to losing your job, to breaking up with a gf, etc. i realize that tv psychics are probably alot different than someone who actually practices it not for the sake of making money, but to me atleast it seems like the only reason that tarot cards work, is that you are applying the prediction to something that has already happened, like people who think that nostradomis predicted the future, when they only apply his predictions backwards in history.

but considering the fact that i have never had a tarot reading before, i cant really speak from experience, so i just kinda want to know what you think.

EDIT:
Quote by Kensai

Me too!

which brings up another point, that drugs seem to be pretty essential to the occult too. by wikipediaing alster crowley, it seems that drugs influenced him and his thinking alot. and that begs the question, do drugs just get you high, or do they open up the doors of perception as aldous huxley would assert?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Kensai
Me too!

"Similar places"?

Also, just because more people says it it doesn't mean it's true. Then we might just as well believe in UFOs, bigfoot, loch ness monster and that I'm not the callipygian superhero I appear to be.

Someone's got their cynical head on

(oh my God, could I be any more gay?)

The thing with meditation is that it's something you need to try-before-you-buy because there's definitely more to it than Western logic would imply. I'd really recommend reading a bit about it (along with OBEs and astral projection) and just giving it a go because you've got nothing to lose.

I'm not some weird crackpot with crazy half-baked ideas, I'm a normal guy who just doesn't dismiss anything on principle.

One example (it's hard to give examples that are easy to explain over the internet) is when I first started energy raising meditation. I read about these things called "chakras" which are basically where energy is believed to be stored in our bodies, and so I started to try to "energise" them (cba to go into details, because I'm aware how this sounds if you've got no experience with it). When I started working on my solar plexus I felt the sort of "pangs" (I can't explain how it feels, sort of like a throbbing) about five or six inches away from where I was concentrating on pulling energy to. After going back to my sources I discovered that where I thought the chakra was wasn't correct, and that the place that I was getting the feelings from was where it really was.

This, to my mind, is an example of how it's not all psychosomatic because if it was just my brain being a dumbass then surely I'd have got the throbbing feeling from the spot I was concentrating on.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by rock_and_blues

my beliefs can be backed up, and even without proof, they're at least the slightest bit believable.
i respect all religions, and there are a few that i believe are correct along with christianity and all that crap; all that occult stuff is the only stuff that i think is just funny, that someone would actually believe in it.
Quote by frottage
my beliefs can be backed up, and even without proof, they're at least the slightest bit believable.
i respect all religions, and there are a few that i believe are correct along with christianity and all that crap; all that occult stuff is the only stuff that i think is just funny, that someone would actually believe in it.

Christianity has a long tradition of occultism whether you want to admit it or not. , And the occult is not "religion" ....it is a supplement to your given religious path.

I can imagine the romans thought christians were some weird child sacrificing cult...isnt it funny how roles reverse after 2000 years?

also sorry about not posting as much and answering questions....my comp went on the fritz

drugs, while not an integral part of magick or the occult...can be an excellent aid when used correctly. For example haullucinogens like LSD or Peoyote can make you have much vivider vizualizations of gods/goddesses and cause OBE's and astral travel much easier....marijuana can make you find symbolism in tarot cards that you wouldn't have noticed. The drugs listed above and alcohol can make things such as sex rituals and role playing rituals much more powerful. Crowley was a big drug user and advocated their use...I'm all for them when used safely.
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by frottage

Your beliefs can be backed up without proof? That's amazing!

Oh, are you aware that King James rewrote the entire Bible? How about the fact that Christianity as you know it was set up by the Romans as a means of controlling people?

Makes you wonder, huh?...

To rock and blues: I'll agree with the whole drug thing. If nothing else they're an amazing way of making you realise that reality is meaningless, and is TOTALLY subjective.

As for the whole religion bashing thing: everyone STOP. There's a religion thread for that, and this thread'll be closed if it continues.

To frottage: you're going to have to accept that, at the end of the day, your chosen religion has absolutely no more proof behind it that any other religion (be it Islam, Catholicism and even Scientology) which is why religion requires faith and not proof. I'm not trying to belittle your beliefs because I fully respect anyone who has faith in something, so try to respect other people's
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
i have a book by aleister crowley

i dont practice or belive in the occult, though. im just interested.

Jack my swag
i'd argue that, and this isn't just an excuse because i have no comebacks, i just don't want to get into some big argument about religion.
with or without the bible, i believe in God.
Quote by gopherthegreat
i have a book by aleister crowley

i dont practice or belive in the occult, though. im just interested.

which book...?

also if anyone want to know more about thelema (the philosophy/religion aliester crowley put forth) i have to reccommend Liber Al Vel Legis (The Book of the Law), which is essentially like theholy book for thelemites
Quote by frottage
i'd argue that, and this isn't just an excuse because i have no comebacks, i just don't want to get into some big argument about religion.
with or without the bible, i believe in God.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I believe in some form of god (or God) too. Meditation based philosophies are in no way mutually exclusive with the Abrahmic religions! Prayer, for example, is just a watered down meditation (when I say "watered down" I don't mean that as a derogatory term, I just mean that you can take prayer one step further by meditating and praying in that state )
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by gopherthegreat
the confessions of aleister crowley: an autobiography

ahh just making sure you didnt buy one of his complex book on magickal theory or something...which would turn alot of people off to him
Quote by rock_and_blues
ahh just making sure you didnt buy one of his complex book on magickal theory or something...which would turn alot of people off to him

i found out about him from the ozzy song, actually

i dont necessarily believe what he says. im just interested.

Jack my swag
Quote by Yakult
Care to give us a basic idea of what it means, to you, to be Pagan? What does it entail? What do you believe? Why?

I'm not asking this aggressively, I'm asking it because I'm genuinely curious

Paganism is an umbrella term which encompasses many different "paths," or traditions. Some of these traditions are Wicca(which IS legitimate, though it seems to be the tradition of choice for teenage rebels), Druidism, Celtic Witchraft, and Native American Spiritualism, just to name a few. Others, like myself, called "eclectics," form their ethical/belief system from a combination of these, sometimes even including aspects of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or Buddism. In simplest terms, a tradition is similar to the Christian concept of the denomination. Depending on the tradition, one's concept of deity varies, sometimes comprising of a god, goddess, one of each, or any assortment of the aforementioned. Some choose not to believe in/worship any deity at all.

Paganism, to me, is an earth-based religion in which the entire earth is held sacred. I believe everything contains a bit of intelligence, and deserves to be treated with respect. I believe that, if at all possible, nature should be allowed to run its course with as little outside(human) influence as possible. My concept of deity is not yet defined, I consider myself a bit of an "agnostic" in that area, seeing as I believe in something, but haven't found the deity that reflects my feeling/experience.

I'm big on intuition, I believe that if people would listen to their "gut feelings" more often, they'd tend to be happier, less stressed individuals.

Astrology also plays a part in my life. Not strictly, but I believe that the sun and moon especially influence one.

If your question is not adequately answered, please tell me what I need to clarify and I'll be glad to do it. Thanks for asking!
oh, that's how i do it. i think praying is kind of dumb. i can't really get into my relationship with God, which already sounds gay, but in sunday school (which i'm forced to attend), when we had a prayer at the end, i tried to actually, idk, like communicate it to God? or whatever, i seriously don't know how to say it. but idk. every night when i go to bed i suppose it's meditation, i just say "talking", to God, and during some days i'll just randomly do it whenever i feel like it. lots of the time it's not even meditating, i like talk to him in my head. even though it's not like he talks back or you can hear him directly, but i just believe. it's weird. my family and the people at my church don't believe i'm christian, and no one else knows unless they're like best friends with me or read my myspace or something, because i hate going to church, and i'm not trying to sound all unique or anything, but i guess i'm kind of a non-conformist within christianity, or something like that. it's not like i'm all SCREW ORGANIZED RELIGION, because i'm not, i just formed my own beliefs on my own, and i really believe in them. i didn't become christian just by always going to church. i don't believe you can be actually consider yourself a christian, or anything else, unless you actually fully grasp what you're believing in, not just by going to sunday school every week and memorizing bible verses and crap. i was alway pretty impressionable, especially seventh through ninth grade, so for like a couple years, i wasn't christian, but it was during my emo/retard phase. end of ninth grade, i started believing in God, and i've only gotten more confident in it since. so yeah. sorry to go on for a while about that, didn't mean to tell my life story. i've never tried explaining that to anyone ever before either, so if that makes no sense at all, oh well. BUT. back to teh occultz.
Quote by frottage

Wouldn't you know it that some of the most infamous cult rituals are derived of Lovercraft's fiction. Indeed.

Of course, these are also the Church of Satan and Temple of Set-- which are really just atheist organizations and do not actually partake in the belief of Satan or any entity as more than an image through which to gain a more violent reaction to.

* Yes, they are in fact atheist organizations, for those of you who will be so ignorant as to flame before looking it up. Though, I will save you the trouble and provide a quote from High Priest Peter H. Gilmore. Also, this organizations sister, or brother cult would be that of Luciferianism-- which is slightly different, in that, Satan is worshipped as a being, or the never ending quest for wisdom.

"Satanism begins with atheism. We begin with the universe and say, 'It’s indifferent. There’s no God, there’s no Devil. No one cares!"

But, there are Cthulhu driven cults that believe and respect the power of magic, that respect the 'powers' of the fictional Necronomicon-- and that is where I say someone has gone quite loopy.

That said, there are many legitimate practitioners of magic, whether white or black, and I do not aim to discredit their faith, only to expose the fake orgy that is about 90% of occultists.

So to conclude, essentially I agree with you, but I don't just find the occult 'funny' I find it to be built up of falsehoods, and excess-- which I guess for your Satanic stuff is okay, seeing as excess is their business.

As far as such things as astrology, tarot, etc. I think it's cool to do/ look at, but when you simply say that "Today you'll meet someone who teaches you something and changes your opinions." My actual Yahoo horoscope. I think you can determine the certain fundamental bull behind it all, for unless I hid under a rock all day-- chances are I'm going to end up through human interaction hearing something that changes my opinion on something. Or, and most commonly done, you will simply pick apart your day in order to find out where that horoscope might just fit into your day. But if you go to another site, or to the news paper, you generally end up with a completely different reading. Indeed, this is about as much bull as the people who tell you the world shall end in 2012. For 5 minutes on the web, I found two sites dismissing the 2 most well known theories for the 2012 cataclysm as pure LIE.

As for refutation:
Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[12]

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[13]
---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar

This is on the matter of Niburu, the 'planet' said to exist that will cause the cataclysm:
Is there a planet Nibiru that will pretty much destroy earth in 2012? I watched a video about it last night and I freaked out so bad i was shaking and crying. Is our world coming to an end in 2012? If so... why cant we just blow the thing up and call it a day?

Answer:
I am really sorry that these crazy Nibiru claims have upset you. I don't want to keep answering these questions about Nibiru, but let me say once more as clearly as I can, for you and the other questioners: Nibiru does not exist. NASA has never discovered or detected Nibiru or anything remotely like it. The handful of dwarf planets that astronomers have discovered beyond Neptune are on stable orbits that will never come into the inner solar system, let alone threaten Earth. Nothing will happen in 2012. Nibiru is simply a fake, a hoax, the result of a small religious cult that is unfortunately scaring lots of people with totally false stories.
David Morrison
NAI Senior Scientist
31 January 2008
---- http://nai.nasa.gov/astrobio/astrobio_detail.cfm?ID=2744

May you rest easier tonight.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
Wouldn't you know it that some of the most infamous cult rituals are derived of Lovercraft's fiction. Indeed.

Of course, these are also the Church of Satan and Temple of Set-- which are really just atheist organizations and do not actually partake in the belief of Satan or any entity as more than an image through which to gain a more violent reaction to.

* Yes, they are in fact atheist organizations, for those of you who will be so ignorant as to flame before looking it up. Though, I will save you the trouble and provide a quote from High Priest Peter H. Gilmore. Also, this organizations sister, or brother cult would be that of Luciferianism-- which is slightly different, in that, Satan is worshipped as a being, or the never...*intellectual jibberish*

where in ohio, nig?
so what really is the "occult"? Are there actual "spells" people can do? i've heard of it, but never witnessed it.

edit: yeah where in ohio?
Page 1 of 3