Where do I start here, I need to record two guitars, a bass, vocals, and drums. What should I use? I want something moderately cheap but still good, I already have good mixing programs. I was thinking about going with Line 6 Pod, but tell me what I should use.

Thanks.
Line 6 PODs are actually pretty good for recording. I use an XT Live for recording and get compliments alot.

As far as a recording program I myself use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3. Most people don't care for it, but for what I do it works great and it's easy to use and understand. Plus it automatically recognizes the POD.

Don't take my comments as law...there are lots of options. I'm sure it won't be long until someone posts some more to shed some light on it.
LOL, funny cuz I got Cakewalk as well , yeah I was thinking of going with POD XT LIVE, but I still don't understand it, can you make your own tones, because I have a Mark IV for playing Metallica and I want to get that recorded in there, could I plus into there from the amp, or would I have to try to emulate that sound on there?
You can emulate the amps in the POD and run them direct to the computer but they're no replacement for the real thing, of course. You could also run the POD thru the Mark IV, but that's almost blasphemy! LMAO

If you're trying to mic the amp, you're talking something altogether different. Then you need something called a Firebox, and with that you can run mics from your gear to the box, then to your computer. They're a little pricey, but from what I've heard they do very well.
Ok, so what would be a good way but still not to expensive, I don't want it hooked up through MY gear because then we would need that for my other guitarist and bassist, not the mention drum mics as well. Would the amp work well through the Pod?
Wait, wait, wait....lemme see if I follow you here...you want to run the amp into the POD and try to get the Mark IV's sound from it??
Quote by DSchmitty
Where do I start here, I need to record two guitars, a bass, vocals, and drums. What should I use? I want something moderately cheap but still good, I already have good mixing programs. I was thinking about going with Line 6 Pod, but tell me what I should use.

Thanks.

R&R form:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

read the stickies and see the videos

If you want to mic drums up youll need at least two overheads and if you want the bass drum to stand out, a 3rd mic for that...
so you can record each part at a time...drums, guitar 1, guitar 2, bass, and then vocals

get an interface with at least three inputs on it or even a 2496 card which you can feed with either a Tapco mixer or Yamaha MG12/4 mixer.

if your computer is slow you can go with a DAW

I suggest reading this:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm