I just now tried to plug in two effects pedals at the same time (MXR Bass Blowtorch and a Digitech BP80) to see if I could get some distortion and chorus at the same time. I've never tried this before and probably hooked something up wrong. When I turned my amp on, everything was okay until I turned up the volume on my bass. Then an extremely loud squealing noise came out. I hurried up and turned the amp off.

I figured I just hooked something up wrong so I just plugged my bass straight into the amp (no effects). It still made the noise when I turned the volume up.

I have no idea what it did! Has this ever happened to anyone?

P.S. I'm afraid to play my bass .
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Have you got a different bass to try? not sure what kind of in-bass damage can cause something akin to feedback, but best to eliminate the possibility if possible.

sure you're not just stood too close to the amp and the amp/pedals are on full pelt?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I think my first bass is somewhere in storage (as we are in the process of moving). I could try and dig it up.

I know it isn't an issue of standing to close as I was as close as I normally am. Nothing was on full pelt either. =/
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Hmm. the usual thing to do is try different everythings and then stuff on its own with the amp. could be anything, sorry.

Quote by metaldud536

Well I think my other bass is at our other house. All I have is a pos electric guitar...Would that be a bad idea to plug that in?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Nah, you could plug an electric violin into it and the amp wouldn't care.

Quote by metaldud536

Alright, so no squealing if I plug the guitar in. Does that mean there's probably something effed up with my bass?

As a side note, could it have anything to do with it being an active bass?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Have you tried just the bass on its own? No pedals with it?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It looks like Zakk Wylde has invaded your bass.

But seriously if it didn't do it with your guitar then your bass has something wrong with it. I doubt its the active thing, because even if I plug my bass into the passive jack it doesn't make the sound you refer to. Something with your electronics.
I've had problems with my electronics before but different ones. I had it fixed months ago and everything was alright until now. I'm assuming I screwed something up with the two effect pedal thing. Not sure how though. Ugh...brb going to house to get other bass.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by Nutter_101
Have you tried just the bass on its own? No pedals with it?

Yeah, the problem first occurred when I had it plugged in with two pedals (which I'm now regretting ever trying to do).

After that I tried three times with the bass plugged in by itself. Same result.

Has to one of the loudest noises, short of a rock concert, I've ever heard.

Going to contact a guitar store that does repairs. See if they've ever heard of this. They fixed my electronics problems last time (something wrong with my input jack on my bass).
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

I did change the battery but I'm afraid to plug it in for two reasons:

1. Further damage to bass.
2. Further damage to hearing.

Oh and I retrieved my old Squier Jazz Bass (god these strings need to be changed) and no buzzing so definitely the bass is the problem.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by Deliriumbassist
so you replaced the batteries but haven't plugged it in?

Just plug it in, you pansy The bass won't get damaged, and if you're really concerned about your hearing, turn the master volume of your amp right down, and slowly increase the volume.

Goin' for the tough love approach eh mate?

Dude, just plug it in! Do it! DOOO IIIIIT!!!!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ugh, well I plugged it in (after changing the battery) and worked fine for a minute. I turned my amp off came back in another minute. IT DID IT AGAIN!

The thing was, it wouldn't make the noise until it hit a certain volume. So I couldn't really control the volume of the squealing. I either couldn't hear it or it was piercing my ears.

So I dunno what to do short of dropping it off at a shop (which there are none in town).
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Drop it off at a shop?

No, seriously.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Drop it off at a shop?

No, seriously.

A guitar shop/repair place? I wasn't going to drop it off at my local Wal-Mart or anything
xD
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

isn't that stuff called feedback?

xD
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Bad screening is typically the cause for high pitched squeels.

It happens with poor quality cables a lot.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
It was horrible feedback if that's what you want to call it. It hurt my ears.

and to Jon: I tried it with two different cables. One is a thin POS but I tried it with my better, newer, thicker one. It still did it. =/ At least I think I tried it with two different ones. Eh, I suppose it doesn't matter as it doesn't do it with my other bass. My bass is definitely messed up...and it could be awhile before I can get it fixed/get it back.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

This happend to me, my lil bro tripped on it and its squeeling (the lead and him [after i hit him] lol)