I'm thinking of putting a few of my guitars on hangers so I can throw the cases up in to the loft and create some space.

Only problem is the only wall I can put these hangers on is a plaster board wall.

Should I trust this?

I know you can get raw plug type things that open up like umbrellas but would this be enough because guitars are pritty heavy.

What do you guys suggest?

Am I just worrying or is this a stupid idea?
You could just get some stands if you are looking for a way to store your guitars... and the guitars will hold, but you have to drill it into a stud in your wall. I have pressboard walls and they are staying up fine drilled into the studs.
I got a few of mine on hangars. They seem quite sturdy and free up a lot of space.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
well, If the walls don't have studs and you have a few guitars in a small space, not anything of an idea to try. I just use 1 wall hanger, and I made sure it had a stud for it to go into. Falling guitars is not anything that any guitarist should go through.
i say for now get normal stands or try it out. Can't hurt... actually it can. Godspeed brave soul.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
As long as you can find some studs (the wooden supports of the plasterboard wall) you should be fine.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yea, I really need the space. I have no room for stands. I will have to have a tap around tomorrow and try and find a stud.

Cheers guys!
I have tried to respond to this twice. Yes, it will work. They hold up to 10 lbs. At least the ones I have do. I will put the link of mine in here. A tip with my particular kind, don't make the pilot hole too big. The anchor is basically a big screw and only needs a medium hole like 3/16. Then you are good to go. I have 4 hanging on the wall, none of them are in studs. One is a Les Paul and it is easily 10 lbs and there is no stress on the hanger at all.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-GH1-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-103726766-i1171131.gc
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I've had 2, one worked, and is still working. One fell out, luckily there was no guitar on it at the time.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by face_the_fear
I'm thinking of putting a few of my guitars on hangers so I can throw the cases up in to the loft and create some space.

Only problem is the only wall I can put these hangers on is a plaster board wall.

Should I trust this?

I know you can get raw plug type things that open up like umbrellas but would this be enough because guitars are pritty heavy.

What do you guys suggest?

Am I just worrying or is this a stupid idea?

I would only install one of those into a stud and it better me a well sound wall if its a heavy guitar.

I personally prefer the stands...less holes in the walls
Quote by face_the_fear
Yea, I really need the space. I have no room for stands. I will have to have a tap around tomorrow and try and find a stud.

Cheers guys!

Another option is this. Not sure if you care about aesthetics or not, but you could get a 2X4, screw that into the studs, then attach the hangers to the 2X4. You could paint it to match the walls. Would actually look pretty cool!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
^Just make sure you use atleast 2 1/2" screws. That'll give you 1 inch into the stud behind. You'd be better off with 3" screws as that would go completely through both 2x4s
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Just make sure you use atleast 2 1/2" screws. That'll give you 1 inch into the stud behind. You'd be better off with 3" screws as that would go completely through both 2x4s

Good call. I would use 3 or 4 inch screws. Many wood screws come in 3 or 4 inches. With the 2X4, those guitars are going NOWHERE! No way they come down. Also, you could save a ton of money buy making your own wall hangers. He could get the 2X4 and go to the garage section and find something that would hold the guitars, put some AC pipe insulation on it and he is done!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
^Der, I forgot about the drywall. Just make sure you don't hit any electrical wiring behind the wall, not only will it ruin your day, but you'll have to call a lazy frickin electrician and watch him get paid way too much for doing way too little./rant
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ if you worked as an electrician doing that type of work for a day you would understand why we get paid that much...

running wires though a closed in wall and fishing out the old ones is no easy task and it cant be rushed...nor is any of it fun........

time and materials really add up with copper prices

if you go into the studs, (making sure you find them with a stud finder first...) you should be fine with 2 - 2 1/2 screws.

for plaster walls you may need a stud finder with deep range search like this one at the big orange: (home depot)
http://www.zircon.com/products/edge_ms_pro_sl.html

I have worked on houses where plaster walls would not work well paired with a standard stud finder but after getting this and setting it to deep scan mode I have yet to have any problem.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 12, 2008,
even if it doens't work, you can just get a big piece of 2x4 and set it parallel along the wall and scew the 2x4 into all the studs on the wall that it spans across and just screw hte hangars onto the 2x4 instead of onto the drywall
here are mine
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
I have all my guitars on hangers (StringSwing) and they work great. You don't have to be into a wall stud. You need to make sure to use wall anchors (the plastic ones work just fine) as a wood screw into drywall without one just won't work. A stud is a definite plus if you can find one where you need it, but it's not necessary.

The StringSwing hangers come with wall anchors in the package. You can check them out HERE.

Peace,
I have four and they are all very sturdy. I will be getting more soon
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...