im looking at the vox valvetronix XL and i was wondering how many watts should i need to be gigging in a metal band in a good sized auditorium?

they come in 50 and 100 and i dont know which to get
I've got a 50 XL and I've compared it with my friend's 100, and its not that much quieter, so you'd be better off saving your money by getting the fifty, and if you want some extra kick, get a stomp box with the money you saved to boost your signal.
is this amp an actual tube or wat?

and if not would it b loud anough for gigs/sound good at upper volumes?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by seizetheday1103 at Feb 11, 2008,
it's not a tube amp, even with one tube in it, it's not a tube amp. i would go for the most you could get.
Ok, any other opinions would be appreciated, is this amp really as good for metal as people say it is?
Get the Regular AD 50 watter, the XL isn't as good, and you can do metal just fine on the AD50VT. I personally never have had to turn the amp up all the way to be heard at a gig.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Get the Regular AD 50 watter, the XL isn't as good, and you can do metal just fine on the AD50VT. I personally never have had to turn the amp up all the way to be heard at a gig.

Mine was perfect to crank to full with my band's drummer who was obnoxiously loud but he quit.. now i have a louder amp and possibly an even louder drummer lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by SG Man Forever

I agree with this post as well. I found the XL to have quite a muddy tone.
Quote by Blompcube
Mine was perfect to crank to full with my band's drummer who was obnoxiously loud but he quit.. now i have a louder amp and possibly an even louder drummer lol.

Wait, are you talking about the XL? My main reason for not liking it is because is had a tendency to sound rather muddy, and the bass is very flabby sounding, and the cleans sound like complete sh*t in my opinion. The Regular Vox can get extremely dirty, especially on the "UK Modern" "Numetal" and "US Highgain" models.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
AD50VT + Metal Zone = win

My amp for some reason got quieter... But I can still get it louder than a 120watt crate still.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
guys, just be men and get tube amps
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
guys, just be men and get tube amps

guys, just don't be twats and tell people constantly to get tube amps. For the tone I want, I'd need a JCM 800 Marshall, and it will be years before I can afford one. In the meantime, the Vox get the job done, and sounds good while doing it, and it only cost me $300.

Get off the tube bandwagon, not all non tube amps are sh*t, and not all tube amps are great.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
guys, just don't be twats and tell people constantly to get tube amps. For the tone I want, I'd need a JCM 800 Marshall, and it will be years before I can afford one. In the meantime, the Vox get the job done, and sounds good while doing it, and it only cost me $300.

Get off the tube bandwagon, not all non tube amps are sh*t, and not all tube amps are great.

this guy talks with wisdom
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
^ don't get me wrong, I love tube amps, but for playing neoclassical styled metal, (which is what I play) saying "Get a tube amp" is only going to pisss me off, because low priced tube amps don't get that kind of sound (think Metallica Ride the Lightning, but with mids, and very punchy), that kind of sound is pretty much exclusive to Marshalls, and not everyone can afford a Marshall. I'm having to wait a week to buy new strings because I can't afford them, I can't afford to drop $2000 on a JCM 800 and a 4x12.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^ Dude I played a peavey 5150, and yes it's great, but it's like they say every tube amp blows any SS amp away. Hell, I love my Vox amp... I wouldn't trade it for a tube... Well maybe a Mesa.

some people have small budgets... so yeah. Like getting an agile/epi instead of a gibson
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0