welcome to UG Bass. we generally don't take kindly to "bashing" other bass players.
although there are exceptions to this rule. imo with-out Michael Anthony's vocals, there would be no "Van-whats-his-name". <i need more beer!! Valerie!!!>
^ I agree with this man.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
welcome to UG Bass. we generally don't take kindly to "bashing" other bass players.
although there are exceptions to this rule. imo with-out Michael Anthony's vocals, there would be no "Van-whats-his-name". <i need more beer!! Valerie!!!>

+2
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

+Fitz, once again.

Michael Anothony is the only person I've ever heard play root notes during his own bass solo. His 10 minute bass solo. I was at a show in Hamilton, and the crowd was more into Michael Anothony's bass solo than Eddie's. I cannot fathom how his quite literally root-note-quarter-note bass lines were so high up in the mix, not to mention a tone that sounds like a zipper.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think he's a sloppy player - he doesn't make many mistakes. I just wouldn't call him extremely talented.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 11, 2008,
Michael Anthony sloppy?? If I listed the top 20 'big name' sloppy bassists, he wouldn't even make the list.
Quote by thefitz
+Fitz, once again.

Michael Anothony is the only person I've ever heard play root notes during his own bass solo. His 10 minute bass solo. I was at a show in Hamilton, and the crowd was more into Michael Anothony's bass solo than Eddie's. I cannot fathom how his quite literally root-note-quarter-note bass lines were so high up in the mix, not to mention a tone that sounds like a zipper.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think he's a sloppy player - he doesn't make many mistakes. I just wouldn't call him extremely talented.

I saw them a few years back in Toronto. His bass solo was several whole notes, probably all on the E string.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I saw him in Hartford. 90 second solo, all root notes, with a jack dnaiels bass and a drunk bassist.... he's none too good imo.

EDDIE, is awesome though. lol.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I saw him in Hartford. 90 second solo, all root notes, with a jack dnaiels bass and a drunk bassist.... he's none too good imo.

EDDIE, is awesome though. lol.

Oh, yeah. Alex and Eddie were great.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Now eddi's 16 years old son,Wolfgang, plays the bass. There is a whole article about it in Guitar World Mag. Pretty cool article but I had enough of Eddie van halen, he is on it every 2 issues.
have you guys even listened to their 1984 album? his bass lines got way better in their later years (i have no idea about van hagar as i dont like that era) but yeah. Girl Gone Bad has some complicated, talent-requiring bass lines.
Its just hard to forgive him for... you know... that horrid, horrid runnin with the devil bass line. *cringe* I suppose you could say it "fit the song" but imo it did not.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Interesting you bring him up. I think I'm legally obligated to like Michael Anthony because, believe it or not, my NAME is Michael Anthony.

And I'm a bassist. Sick, no?

Although I'm quite sure my parents weren't huge Van Halen fans. My dad dislikes Led Zeppelin, for example, because "He just sings too high." /convulse

Oddly enough though, my style is quite far far away from Sobolewski's. And so is my last name. It's German. Pssh.

...Anyway, to be topical, I wouldn't call him sloppy in his playing. I'd call him sloppy in his writing. Kind of inconsistent. He's always effective though, in my opinion.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
basic yess. sloppy.. no

although he did write the worst bassline to be played at 2 in the morning. running with the devil.
I remember back in high school when my band wanted to cover "Panama."

I thrust my fists into the sky and denounced God and all who art in heaven.
Quote by anarkee
Sloppy, no. Unimaginative yes.

Not much his own choice rather than of the 80ies LA rock style production.
I bet he likes Ampeg, too.

Could a certain moddess close this? This is old and dead and dumb and needs to stay that way.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it