Page 1 of 2
Well I originally had a few $15 cables, and they are slowly breaking. I thought they had a lifetime warranty but they don't, so I'm going to buy a couple new ones. I definitely want to buy cables with lifetime warranties from now on. There's this one brand, Live Wire, that has lifetime warranties, and are only about $20 for a 25-foot cable. (I want about 25 feet). There are also Monster or Mogami cables which go for about $50 because of their 24k gold plugs. (they each come with lifetime warranties)
My question is, since I'll be using the cables for life unless they're stolen, is the $50 cable really that much better? I have a good amp and a good guitar, so will a Live Wire cable really sound that much worse than the Monster or Mogami?
Thanks.
go with the monster...its amazing sound (there is a difference) and with the lifetime warranty if something happens to the cable u bring it in nd it gets replaced for free...no questions asked...definitely worth it
^ you can actually hear the difference? Wow, I never thought cable quality actually made that big of a difference
Thanks
You can use lamp wire. There will be no difference in sound. At least this is what my professor has told me. He has a PH.D in electronics engineering and he does alot of work for home theater mags and was also part of the design team for the Serius satellite radio network. He urges that cables such as monster cable are a huge gimmick.
^ I cannot ever here a sig difference. But the durability is an issue and the higher end cables are built better.
Quote by littlec
You can use lamp wire. There will be no difference in sound. At least this is what my professor has told me. He has a PH.D in electronics engineering and he does alot of work for home theater mags and was also part of the design team for the Serius satellite radio network. He urges that cables such as monster cable are a huge gimmick.

that's what I originally thought...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Cables can make a huge difference. The quality of the cable and connectors play a big role in sound.

uh oh... Who to believe?

Quote by Johnbryant
^ I cannot ever here a sig difference. But the durability is an issue and the higher end cables are built better.

Yeah, but they both come with lifetime warranties so I won't care too much about them breaking. I don't do huge gigs or travel or anything, so my cable dying all the sudden isn't a big issue.
The more expensive ones are going to give you durability (moot point with the lifetime warranty imo), but also low noise if you step on them or move them. I personally use all live wire and am satisfied. If I was gigging though I definitely upgrade though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i use monster cables because of the lifetime warrenty. its a really subtle difference between cables, but if your using huge pedal boards with 15+ pedals (or maybe even a lot more) that can be a lot of cables, and the more you have the more signal you lose ( i think) and the higher quality ones suck less signal. (i think)
Quote by littlec

That is a crock of sh!t. Except for the Monster cable part.
If this "professor" told you you can use unshielded lamp wire for a guitar cable, he needs more education. You can use lamp wire to make SPEAKER cables, yes, guitar cables, no. It will be noisy as all sh!t.
I've always used those $20-$25 lifetime cables, & they work great. Anything less than that will get noisy & unreliable with constant plugging/unplugging, twisting, bending, etc. Someone gave me a $100 cable for free to try out (made by Analysis Plus), & it made a very slight difference in signal clarity, but I have very dynamic, sensitive amps.
Monster cables are a joke, & those guys are laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know how they sleep at night charging what they do. Monsters are no better than the $20 ones. The Analysis Plus cable I got is a TINY bit better, but $80 better? F#@K, NO!
Remember, too, that your signal chain is only as good as the weakest link. If you run effects & use 5 killer cables & one crap one, the whole rig will sound like crap.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
yeah I (will) only have 2 pedals. I generally dislike effects, so I'm not one of those 2 pedalboard guys. Right now I have about $600 to spend, so money isn't the issue. I'll probably get the monster though. I just didn't want to spring for the monster only to have everyone tell me that the $20 live wire is just as good

EDIT: /\ oh no, why did you have to post that
Having used both monster and livewire I can say the difference is minimal. I'm currently using a 12-foot monster to my way and a 6" between my wah and my ds-1. 6" livewire ds-1 -> greenscreamer -> phase 90. 3' livewire to eq, 6" livewire to amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i made my own cables that i bought from canare. and used neutrik plugs for the ends.

$0.64/feet for the canare cables
$2.54 per neutrik plug.

ended up being $42ish with shipping for two 20 feet cables of top notch quality. canare is awesome.

one 20' cable sounds better than my 6' livewire.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ok now i'm leaning more towards the live wire. I'll probably see if the store will let me open it there and try it out next to the monster cables they have lying everywhere to be sure.
Thanks a lot for all the help

EDIT /\ I can't build shit Some weekend when I'm not working stupid 10 hour shifts I'll build a BYOC wah and see how it goes... I'm hesitant though because I know I'll ruin it. The last time I used a soldering iron I lit some newspaper on fire. Got it out really quick though, fortunately.
Last edited by rush5757 at Feb 11, 2008,
My main two cables together cost me a little over $100, I use gold Mogami 18-foot cables. Lifetime warranty so I can trust I'll always have working cables.

I play really gainy metal and these just seemed to give me the clearest signal and no hum whatsoever.
Quote by rwalby9
My main two cables together cost me a little over $100, I use gold Mogami 18-foot cables. Lifetime warranty so I can trust I'll always have working cables.

I play really gainy metal and these just seemed to give me the clearest signal and no hum whatsoever.

yeah I've got a tele with twangy single coils, so even a perfect cable won't get rid of my hum
I use feedback to my advantage
canare cables have one third the resistance across the conductor compared to the highest end mogamis. that's three times clearer signal to your amp.

at the fraction of the price too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
stop making me start gassing for good cables

i guess i haven't tried enough good cables, because the radio shack ones do me fine, never considered the sound, but last way longer than the livewires and monsters i've owned.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
nice question i was wondering the same thing my self and i am brand new to the guitar.

but i know that when running wire from a battery to a motor the bigger gauge wire you use the less resitance there is. so it would seem a lower resistance guitar chord would transmit the signal better.
mg10cd
Quote by UnsignedRecords
stop making me start gassing for good cables

i guess i haven't tried enough good cables, because the radio shack ones do me fine, never considered the sound, but last way longer than the livewires and monsters i've owned.

Ha, radio shack generic cables ftw
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
yesss
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I have 2 mogamis for the effects loop and a DiMarzio between my guitar and my amp. All in all about $120 in cables and I don't regret it. Cheap cables just don't last. Ive had these for a couple years now and they don't ever short out or pop or anything.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I have particularly bad luck with cables. The first cable I had that came with my beginner amp last a few months. I then bought I cheap $15 generic brand from a local shop. That broke within 6 months. The next time I went to GC I decided to just dish out the extra for a Monster. The difference in the warranties is this: for monster cables, you can bring them to any store I believe and trade it for a new cable, no questions asked. With livewire, you have to mail it in an wait for it to get there and then switch the cables and mail it back. I personally have not played a live wire, but from what I hear the clarity is a little better on the monster, but not by a lot.
My Setup
Fender Stratocaster Highway One HSS
Marshall Lead 12 Combo 5005
I use planet waves.

Tough as nails, good signal quality, stay in the jack exceptionally well, lifetime warranty.

Mogami is a new level of suck previously achieved only by Fenders California cables and monster cable prices/quality.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Erock503
^^+1, Randy knows his gear, listen to this man.

Love ya, man!
See? Even Jon (UnsignedRecords-super tone hound) uses cheap cables w/ no problems.
F#@k Monster!
Eric-please don't tell me you use $100 cables!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog

Love ya, man!
See? Even Jon (UnsignedRecords-super tone hound) uses cheap cables w/ no problems.
F#@k Monster!

haha, no way man, the most expensive cables I own are planet waves, but they've lasted me thru some abuse. Those are my only long cables at least. I'm going to get a set of nice cables though, just for piece of mind. I'm an OD junky, and like you said, it's only as good as your weakest link, so I need some good patch cables. The ones I'm currently using are absolute bargain bin no namers. Any recommendations?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Try these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IAJ56

Those are the next one's I'm getting, I love the size of the jacks.

To contribute to the thread, I see absolutely no reason to pay ****loads for cables.
I use livewire cables and they work just great. The only thing I don't like is that the jacks screw off and I have to tighten them every once in a while.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
Try these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IAJ56

Those are the next one's I'm getting, I love the size of the jacks.

To contribute to the thread, I see absolutely no reason to pay ****loads for cables.
I use livewire cables and they work just great. The only thing I don't like is that the jacks screw off and I have to tighten them every once in a while.

nice, thanks for the link
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I use Monster Cables for the copper shielding or whatever they have to keep it secure. The other cables I had were the soft ones that always got stepped on and stopped working.

But I also have this other Cable I got for free which is shielded and really nice like the Monsters, I don't know what it's called though.

Are there any other GOOD AND SHIELDED Cables that are CHEAPER? I use around 15+ Ft. Cables. Thanks!
I use Live Wire cables. Just because they are great quality. They eliminate alot of outside noise that I used to get with my old cables. And they have a lifetime guaranty on them. If they ever break at all, even if its my fault, all I have to do is take it back to GC and they replace it totally free!!
Quote by Erock503
nice, thanks for the link

You're welcome.
They come pretty highly recommended from quite a few people at HC.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by riffhog

Love ya, man!
F#@k Monster!

no way, i'm not that crazy with my tone... yet

actually, i'm using livewires right now, just started a couple weeks ago. holding up pretty nicely, since i'm not too rough with them.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

The difference is highly dependent on the length of cable you are running through. If you are plugged straight into an amp with 10 feet of cable, it won't be a big deal. However, if you have 10 effects, and you have a 10 foot cable between each of them, then you have 110 feet of cable and the effect will be far more noticeable.

Just as a note, electrical engineers don't automatically know the best about electrical instruments. If anything, they are the ones most likely to just round things and say one humbucker is basically the same as any other, since they are all basically made the same. Electrical engineers also tend to deal with smaller lengths of wire, where the differences are much more negligible anyways for most applications. Really large scale electrical applications are usually more civil engineers, if I remember correctly, those are the ones where what material you use can make a difference. Anyways, guitar cable is going to experience stresses that neither of those engineers typically deal with. Guitar cables probably can be expected to take more physical abuse than most other types of cable.
A lot of what you're paying for with stupid expensive cables is better insulation and better shielding, and therefore better noise rejection, and a longer life span before they start picking up noise.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by rush5757
^ you can actually hear the difference? Wow, I never thought cable quality actually made that big of a difference

Cables are the biggest ripoff in the electronics industry, not just in guitars. Do you really think that a $150+ HDMI cable is going to perform that much better than a $20 one? It's all marketing hype.

Once there was a guy who is well known in the hi-fi home audio world who got tired of all of that mess when he read a review about how good these $2,000 set of home audio cables were. He offered a $1,000,000 reward to anyone who could go through a scientific blind listening test and constantly choose the more expensive cables. That million bucks still sits in a bank account.
Quote by littlec

Well, I've never seen monster cables on sale so i can't comment on that. But, the lamp wire is BS...
I can't believe you guys are suggesting monster cables!!! Those are the worst cables ever made. If you love your equipment DO NOT BUY THEM. The jacks on monster cables are enlarged. This may seem like a good idea because they don't pull out as easy but... Eventually it stretches your jack making it useless. One of my friends had to replace the jacks on both his guitars and get his effects pedal and amp fixed. The bottom line is monster cabes wreck your equpment!
Page 1 of 2