I have an ovation 1861 --- I went to a pawn shop and plugged it into a fender bassman 100 -- it sounded SWEEEEEEET, but is there something specific I should be looking for, in terms of effects, sound, brands, etc??? I'd love a sort of "primer" on this ... thanks!!!
It depends.

1) What is yor budget? $200-$300 $1000-$2000?
2) What will be its primary use (bedroom practice, band practice, gigging?)
3) What sort of music do you play / styles?
Maybe I'm totally wrong on this but the ovation is an acoustic-electric and the bassman is a bass amp, correct? First thing you might want to look for is an acoustic-electric amp instead of a bass amp (although I have heard of people using bass amps with standard guitars, no experience myself however).
Dont buy the bassman. You will look rediculous playing a guitar through a bass amp.

i would suggest a Vox Valvetronix
lol -- I hear ya, but it sounded SO good and crisp ... really high highs and fat lows -- a friend was with me and agreed ... I'll check out vox though!
Quote by FRDesign
The Bassman is a Bass amp.

Regardless of this, these amps have been used by guitarists like Buddy Holly, Hendrix and Clapton, and are marketed more these days for guitarists.

Also Josh Homme from QOTSA has been known to play through an Ampeg bass amp.

Quote by austinarcadium
Dont buy the bassman. You will look rediculous playing a guitar through a bass amp.

i would suggest a Vox Valvetronix

Same to you buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6NYBwgjBXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5o74Lodmpg
Last edited by greggybhoy at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by ericuf
lol -- I hear ya, but it sounded SO good and crisp ... really high highs and fat lows -- a friend was with me and agreed ... I'll check out vox though!

honestly, i guess if you really like the sound of it, go for it.
Fender Bassmans are great amps, in both the tweed and silver variations. Go for it!
Quote by mattvl
Maybe I'm totally wrong on this but the ovation is an acoustic-electric and the bassman is a bass amp, correct? First thing you might want to look for is an acoustic-electric amp instead of a bass amp (although I have heard of people using bass amps with standard guitars, no experience myself however).

I use an old Yamaha bass amp and just got myself the half stack Bassman 100. Both haven't let me down sound-wise and I love the low end. I'm not much into treble and "twangy" sounds so this is just my opinion but bass amps are perfect for guitar.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
thanks for the thoughts everyone ---

One of the reasons I was looking at the bassman is that it is in really nice condition at a pawn shop ... they have it listed for $300. If I could talk them to $150,175, I think it would be a steal ... what do you think??