Yes, I know there is the band name thread, but I'm not totally sure if their pertains much as this isn't, "l0l gimme a k001 nam3 4 a 5ka bandd d00d", but more of a decision to whether or not keep the name we have.

I have some backstory for you all.

As you would read on our MySpace, my current band, 'Kill Trip', was formed a little after Christmastime of last year. We (who was, at the time, just me and Brian) chose our name out of complete randomness. Ryan, Brent, and Brady all eventually joined, and never had a problem with the name, until after the first full practice.

Brent told Ryan that 'Kill Trip' sounds too much like 'Killswitch' in 'Killswitch Engage'. Also, he did make a point that it's a bit unfair that the whole band (the five of us now, as opposed to just me and Brian) didn't get to decide on the name, but rather just joined without question.

When I go about telling him and everyone else that I thought we should talk about it at the next practice in a 'band meeting', something goes misinterpreted, and Brian gets the wrong idea: thinking we were changing the name without consulting him.

While I still straightened things out with him, it seems like we still can't talk about it without, well, conflict. Brent is the only one to have a real problem with the name, yet he insists that we don't "force" the name, or in other words, don't just sit down and think of cool band names and don't put too much emphasis on the name, because it's just a name. Do any of you find this a bit hypocritical?

One more thing I should add is that right near us down in Mankato, there is a band called "Kill Switch", who is locally known and has an album out. I believe in courtesy 110% in music, so when a band has had the same name or a very similar name as you and has had it longer than you, and if they especially have albums out, you should change it to avoid confusion and an awkward confrontation. This is really the only reason I would want to change the name, personally.

While I know the name isn't a big issue, I'm feeling like not everyone is being heard equally and that there are some people that have been stubborn.
I say just have the full meeting with everyone and the first thing you do is cast an anonymous vote of whether each person wants to keep the name or not. Having five people eliminates the possibility of a tie so thats no problem. If theres a majority yes, then you keep the name. If the vote is predominantly no, then tell everyone to be on the lookout for any sort of inspiration for an interesting name. That should keep things civil.
(Also I think the band with the name "Kill Switch" is a complete ripoff from Killswitch Engage. I wouldn't worry about being second to them in terms of integrity.)
Man I hope you guys are all around 12 years old because otherwise this wouldnt make any sense at all.

And I understand that your just stuck in the middle.

One practice in and your bands ready to throw down over a name? I personally dont think youll be together long enough for it to matter. But if you must name yourself how about the Squabbling Mollies?

Best of luck man.

Brent is the only one to have a real problem with the name, yet he insists that we don't "force" the name, or in other words, don't just sit down and think of cool band names and don't put too much emphasis on the name, because it's just a name. Do any of you find this a bit hypocritical?

Yeah thats to funny BTW......
Quote by v8ko
Man I hope you guys are all around 12 years old because otherwise this wouldnt make any sense at all.

Haha, actually no. We're all 16, 16, 16, 17 (me) and 18.

Quote by v8ko
One practice in and your bands ready to throw down over a name? I personally dont think youll be together long enough for it to matter.

Yeah it's really frustrating because everyone agrees that it's not the most important thing when it comes to a band. It's all for, well, it's just a name. Plus, there's been worse names.

Quote by v8ko
But if you must name yourself how about the Squabbling Mollies?

Best of luck man.

Ew. We'd NEED luck with THAT name.

Thanks dude.

-----

And djostreet, I think I'll propose that this Friday (next practice). Thanks for the idea.
Hey Im just glad you knew I was being lighthearted about it. Trully best of luck!
Well it doesn't seem like any of you guys are particularly against changing the name. With all those new guys it's practically a clean slate, and makes sense. I do agree with Brent that you shouldn't force a name. You guys will probably come up with something meaningful to your members spontaneously. It looks a lot better in interviews when they ask you how you got the name, and you're not saying "Oh, random emo band name generator I found on the internet."
^Agreed.

At this early stage, you're right, the name isn't that important, but later on down the line when you start gigging, then the name, in my opinion, becomes very important. It's the first thing the public knows about you, and as we all know, most people go off first impressions.
Your name should give a general idea of what you are about, so if you call yourself something like 'Speed Demons' no one's gonna be expecting a set load of ballads, and similarly, if you call yourselves 'Tranquil Summers' no one's expecting doom laden death metal.
It's that name that attracts the type of crowd that would like your music without actualy hearing you first. So for your first few gigs, before you have any kind of reputation, the name is very important, because if you attract the wrong crowd for your music, they'll just tell everyone else you were crap and you'll have gained a bad rep without actualy doing a bad job of the gig.

That said, yeah, 'Kill Trip' is a cool name for a metal band but it is a bit too similar to 'Kill Switch' which would be bad enough if you're not a tribute to 'Killswitch Engage' but is made even worse if their is already a well established band called 'Kill Switch' in your area.
Find a new name, but as your mate says, don't force it, don't all sit around trying to come to a decision, just don't worry about it until you are getting closer to playing your first gig. The best names just come to you in a flash of inspiration, it could be part of a quote you just heard, or something you see written on the side of a van as it passes you or anything at all, but when you see it, you go 'Wow, that would make a great name for a band'

True story.
I recorded a couple of solo albums about 10 or 11 years ago, and after the first one was in the bag, I wanted to come up with a name to release it under that suited the music.
The music itself was kinda trippy, with touches of Floyd, Eels and other stuff mixed in with the odd loud guitar track.
I'd kinda decided on 'Orpheus,' so me and the sound engineer from the studio were looking through different fonts on his computer, trying to come up with some stylised way of writing it, like a logo. So first we looked for a font that had a great looking letter 'O' and when we found one, my mate quickly typed in 'Orpheus' to see how the entire word looked like in this font, but mistyped it 'Orpheix'
This gave me an idea, drop the 'e' and we had 'Orphix' which as far as I knew, didn't actualy mean anything, but I thought the word had a nice ring to it, but I wasn't too happy yet with the font so we tried it in a different font, again chosen because it had an impressive looking letter 'O' that'd look good on an album cover, but once again, my mate mistyped it and it came out like 'Mrphix' and that's when it hit me, that little touch of inspiration.
'Of course, ''Mr. Phix''...... I like it!'
It just leaped out at me, It was perfect for the kind of music I'd recorded because it had connotations of some kinda drug dealer (Mr. Fix) without making it too obvious and like I said, the music was trippy.
So I'd gone from 'Orpheus' to 'Mr. Phix' by way of looking for a font with a cool looking 'O' in it and two spelling mistakes.

Just concentrate on the music for now, the name will come if you allow it to, trust me.

Hey, that sounds like a Zen Buddhism thing.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 12, 2008,
As the local band "Kill Switch" mentioned before, I just want to thank the poster for being so thoughtful when it comes to band naming. I know that doesn't sound like much from a band who it looks like is just riding on the coat tails of Killswitch Engage. but we do really mean it. As for our name, we formed in 1998 roughly the same time (if not before) KSE did, we do realize that one day a name change will be in order, its just too damn confusing. However as of right now, its like you said, a name is just a name after a while.

Thanks guys, if there is ever anything we can do to help out, let us know.

-Kill Switch