Okay, I can't seem to be able to get a decide on an amp, so I'm turning to the ever-wise UG threads. I need an tube amp that has goodish cleans, awesom SRV tone, AC/DC tone, and decent Metallica/ Megadeth tone (til I get a decent pedal.) It has to be laoud enough to jam with a 5-piece metal/ classic rock/blues band. If this isn't enough, it has to be under $450.00. Now see why I'm confused. I'm also in a small town, so used amps are scarce. btw, I decided against the Palomino in my sig, so thats out. (need to change sig)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Man that's a toughie. What's more important, the blues/rock/clean tone or the metal tone?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Metal is least important, can buy pedal. I tried the palomino and was thouroghly dissapointed. Damn, fast responses.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

yeah, to meet all those requirements with a $450 budget is a pain haha. i second the palomino v32, and maybe go for a used peavey classic 30. pretty much any tube amp in the price range is gonna need a boost to do some metal.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Try a peavey classic 30, blues jr if you're willing to sacrifice od and giggable cleans, maybe a hotrod if you use a pedal for your OD.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah, I have no access to the Palomino cause I gotta trade in my Marshall and live nowhere near a Guitar Center. $450 is a pain in the ass, but I'm 14 and can't get more quick, and I need an amp now.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Why no Palomino? You can probably get the 30 watt version of it for that price. It does all of what you need pretty damn well for a budget tube amp.

+1
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by classicrocker01
Metal is least important, can buy pedal. I tried the palomino and was thouroghly dissapointed. Damn, fast responses.

You probably played a new made in Vietnam one.

You can always try a valveking, but that isn't as good as the Palomino IMO.
Yeah man, I third the V32 *glances at siggy*. Or fourth. Whatever the hell number we're on.....

Anways, if you don't have ready access, I was realy impressed with the Blues JR and Classic 30 as well. All of them will do what you're looking for.

The Valveking seemed a little harsh to me when I played it; more geared to the higher gain (of which I am not).

EDIT: And are the Viet Palos really that bad? I played one and it didn't sound that much different............. maybe a fluke?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
u look like you need a marshall Jcm .
or a Vox.
go to your store and try some voxs and marshalls!!!!!!!!
Oops... stuck that in the wrong thread somehow.

Uh... MGs suck, Spyders are one good to mess around on.

Have you looked at the B-52 AT series?
Last edited by El Tostito at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by classicrocker01
I need an tube amp that has goodish cleans, awesom SRV tone, AC/DC tone, and decent Metallica/ Megadeth tone (til I get a decent pedal.) It has to be laoud enough to jam with a 5-piece metal/ classic rock/blues band. If this isn't enough, it has to be under $450.00.

You're not confused so much as you're unrealistic. Confusion comes from too many choices, whereas you have next to none.

Your best bet is the Valveking, which hardly produces an "awesome SRV tone," IMHO.

I'd rec the Palomino over the VK, but maybe you should take a look at the new line of V series amps from Crate like the Crate V50, if you're dead set against the Palominos. I played the V18 in the shop and liked it, but I wasn't playing any metal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, it was worth a shot, I figured that if I looked hard enough something would come up. thanks anyways.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Try out a Valveking 112 combo. I get out my Strat and the SRV sounds pretty good.
Hey, tried the valveking today and liked it, gonna buy one soon. Guess I wasn't being to unrealistic!
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by classicrocker01
Hey, tried the valveking today and liked it, gonna buy one soon. Guess I wasn't being to unrealistic!

You'll need a pedal for Metallica.
^ No way, have you played a valveking? It can do alot of modern metal without a boost, metallica is no problem at all with that amp, mabe your thinking of the Classic 30 With the C30 a boost would be nice for Metallica, but with humbuckers again that amp can get close without a pedal as well.
TS I really think you should try the C30 as well, its an awsome amp that has much better tone than the VK for your style IMO. Try out a new one then look for a used one in your price range.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ No way, have you played a valveking? It can do alot of modern metal without a boost, metallica is no problem at all with that amp, mabe your thinking of the Classic 30 With the C30 a boost would be nice for Metallica, but with humbuckers again that amp can get close without a pedal as well.
TS I really think you should try the C30 as well, its an awsome amp that has much better tone than the VK for your style IMO. Try out a new one then look for a used one in your price range.

O_o
Maybe if the damn thing is cranked.
Someone who values their ears and neighbors wont crank a valveking every time they wanna play metal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If you think a valveking would be nice, check out a peavey classic.
Better all around IMO. Less gain and lower wattage though. Just depends on what sounds good to you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I tried the classic 30, liked it better. I'll trie to find a used one. Also tried a Blues Jr., wihich had no balls to it.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Yeah.
Also take a look at a blackheart little giant if you want a quieter solution.
I just posted an audio review in this forum, it's somewhere, i'm threadstarter.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
Try a peavey classic 30, blues jr if you're willing to sacrifice od and giggable cleans, maybe a hotrod if you use a pedal for your OD.

hey man, i was kinda in your situation like a couple years back. I eventually found a used, 15 year old peavey classic30, and that thing rocks. great blues/older rock tone, and i have an EHX metal muff that i use to get metal tones.

I also however, later bought a fender HRD. I like this one better, although it has volume issues, meaning it's hard to tame the beast. I never had this problem with the peavey.

What I'm trying to say is that the only bad thing to a classic30 is the fact that it doesn't have standby. I just leave the normal volume at 0, and switch to that when i gotta unplug the guitar or let the amp warm up. I have to say that this amp is the best value for your money, really no matter what you're going for tonally.
by the way,

I TRIED THE PALAMINO TOO AND I HATED IT!!!!!!
hope this helps, really your opinion is what matters.
Quote by Johnbryant

Maybe I own one, and I know that it can't do Metallica without a boost, or at least a speaker swap.