well guys, i feel like a project so i'm going to try and tab a song out. to be exact, this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IvVlXDNCg
this'll be my first tab ever and hopefully...it'll be accurate. now i have a question to all of you tabbing genius'. where/how do i begin tabbing something out? do i have to figure out what key it's in or some crap like that?...

anyone have any hints as to how they figure songs out themselves? any help at all will be much appreciated, even if it's the most noob-iest piece of advice ever because chances are, i need it
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Last edited by bobby_splax at Feb 11, 2008,
well... you've already got the first part down by choosing a song
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by LazySandman
well... you've already got the first part down by choosing a song

someone took the last line a 'bit seriously...

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Firstly try and find out if they use alternate tunings from other tabs, or try and work out where those harmonics could come from as that could help with figuring out the tuning.
Then you've got to think about it quite logically. It doesn't sound as though the guitarist is throwing his fingers wildly around the neck but rather sliding into positions that could provide chord shapes for the notes being picked. Then try and find what the chords are by the picking patterns.
Listen to the slides and where they're taking you.

It sounds quite a good song to start learning to tab with.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
thanks andrew...that might help for the first bit 'cuz so far i have...nothing, i'm kinda just fiddling around but this should help me get in the right direction. anyone else got any hints/pointers??

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
^ Haven't come across that software before, looks quite clever. Working out a whole song could be annoying using it, but that would help figure out positions if you get stuck somewhere. Well found.

http://www.seventhstring.com/
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
take it piece by piece
Wake up
Your hiding in your nightmares
Your screaming behind closed eyes
What the hell are you waiting for
hmm...software seems enticing...might have to check it out

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
well i just did my first tab yesterday. all i can tell you is to listen to the song a million times, and find the note in which they are playing...thats what i did, and it worked out really well...hopefully UG will accept my tab..
short update...i figured out the harmonic sounds like 5th fret harmonics across the board, there seems to be 2 guitar parts so i'm figuring out lead i guess...and it hasn't really gotten anywhere yet but...looks kinda promising..

oh and i realized i had to pay for software so i figured i'd just practice tabbing so i'll never need such software

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby