Hey guys, I just bought a bridge form Guitar Parts Resource (guitarpartsresource.com)

http://guitarpartsresource.com/items2/GB003.jpg This one here..

VINTAGE BLACK TREMOLO KIT USA STRAT®

Turns out that that doesn't fit my squier.. (stupid-ass mistake on my behalf)

The screw holes and holes on body don't line up. What are my options to fixing this? can i fill the old holes with putty or something and re-drill new ones? Or do I have to suck it up and buy a new one and waste this one..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Umm.... I hate to ask this, but do you have a back cavity for the springs? I don't have a squier myself to look... so I gotta ask.
i'd check all the cavities to make sure it'll fit before you start filling and drilling, but as long as it fits, there's no problem with doing that, as long as you dont mind the potential of being able to see the old filled holes after you're done. other than that, go for it!
Quote by rednwhiteblues
i'd check all the cavities to make sure it'll fit before you start filling and drilling, but as long as it fits, there's no problem with doing that, as long as you dont mind the potential of being able to see the old filled holes after you're done. other than that, go for it!

what he said... lol basicly what i was getting at, Just make sure you don't move the bridge father down, or you might have problems with intonation.
Yes, I have a back cavity for springs and whatnot. It all fits in there fine, but the holes are spread out a tiny bit wider on the bridge than the squiers are.

And if I fill the holes, how will I know if its centred and not too far left/right/up/down?

Thats what I'm worried about.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
after you fill the original holes, set the bridge down on the body and string up both e's with yarn or thread of some sort, then you can move it around until they are in the right place on the fretboard. at that point, simply measure the distance from the 12th fret to the saddles (should be 12.75"/324 mm if its a standard fender/squier scale) then mark your holes from that spot.
Make sure your body is thick enough for the trem block on your new bridge. Had a buddy of mine a few years ago do the same thing.. after he plugged and drilled new holes and got the new bridge set in there, he discovered the trem block stuck out of the back of the guitar 1/8 inch.
ughh...

This brings a new problem. The tremolo block is too long for the guitar.

Any chance i can just got thru the tremolo block to make it the same size as the old one?

talk about a quick change of bridge gone horribly wrong.

And I can't just return the bridge, because i ordered it from america, and i'm in australia.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
depending on the way the bridge is built (i cant tell from the picture alone) you can try removing the saddles, unscrewing the block, and then replacing it with the trem block from your old bridge, but that might not even fit, so who knows.