Ok, my band has been trying to record some songs here recently, and we have everything recorded but the bass. I'm currently using a laptop and Wavepad to record, and it picks everything else up nice and clear, but when my bassist records, it sounds really quiet, then all of a sudden this nasty rattling sound, then back to quiet. Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking it might be the microphone. I'm thinking of buying a USB mic at Guitar Center and trying that. But before I do, I wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas to fix it. Any ideas and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
wait, what are you recording with? are you DI'ing or using a mic?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Amp>mic>preamp>line in/usb

Line in straight will sound like compleat balls, and dead/flat.

Im not sure what it might be, but i know bass line in straight, its horrable. NO matter what amp you have.

That would be a good set up.
But probably more than you wanted.
Either you have a line in on your stock sound card
or
you are using a USB interface...which bypasses your stock sound card making it useless, (so how can you be running into the line in and USB?

a USB mic will also sound like crud on bass and wont work well, waste of money...
Try DIign your bass...read up on tweaks guide and such

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 12, 2008,
Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Gothkoss
Amp>mic>preamp>line in/usb
Im not sure what it might be, but i know bass line in straight, its horrable. NO matter what amp you have.

What the hell are you talking about, DI from a bass head is the preferred way of recording bass. Stop posting such nonsense advice.

What's your recording setup right now? what mic are you using and how close to the grill is it?
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Many people simply DI bass because they dont know how to mic it effectively. It's not preferred, its just the easy way out for less experienced engineers.

Thats not to say good engineers can't get godly DI bass tones, but they can also get godly miced ones.
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
What the hell are you talking about, DI from a bass head is the preferred way of recording bass. Stop posting such nonsense advice.

What's your recording setup right now? what mic are you using and how close to the grill is it?

its a common answer when people post recording Qs in the GG&A form...or the pit...

They think they know enough to answer the question so they post...