I'm looking to purchase a Fender but can't decide on the upgraded Highway One or the New American Standard Strat.

I understand the Hwy One has hotter pickups. Which would you all recommend?

My style is rock and alternative (I'm not into real heavy metal).
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Id go for the HWY 1

It does have hotter pups and your playing hard/ alt rock, which is better

It has like a satin nitrocellulose finish that you really need to see to believe

Better than any gloss finish imo, plus the HWY1 is $750 over the 1 grand strat

But, try to find a store with both of them and try them out thoroughly, and who knows you might even find a different guitar!
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR

But, try to find a store with both of them and try them out thoroughly, and who knows you might even find a different guitar!

This has been my main problem. All the local shops here don't have the Hwy 1 in stock. They can all "order" it, but then I'd be expected to buy it.

This is why I thought I'd ask you guys since I figured some of you have experience with both.

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Well, if you dont care about the WHOLE guitar being made in America and couldnt care less about a glossier finish, go for the HWY 1

Like you said earlier, its got hotter pups, and like all satin finishes, they look SOOO good when worn.

And it plays very similar to an american strat

I mean after all a strat is a strat.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
I love the highway one. Check out my profile if you wanna hear mine. The new american standards do seem pretty sweet, I haven't played one yet though. You can't go wrong with a highway one though. It costs less, and it sounds great.
Quote by Teh GIR
Well, if you dont care about the WHOLE guitar being made in America and couldnt care less about a glossier finish, go for the HWY 1

Like you said earlier, its got hotter pups, and like all satin finishes, they look SOOO good when worn.

And it plays very similar to an american strat

I mean after all a strat is a strat.

I thought the Hwy1 was made in the USA?

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Quote by A-Ro
I thought the Hwy1 was made in the USA?

From what i heard, the parts are american, but its made in mexico

honestly, it doesnt matter, the quality is still there

Its a very nice guitar, the one i played was wine red, which looked INCREDIBLE
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
From what i heard, the parts are american, but its made in mexico

What?? Where'd you hear that? On the back of my highway one's headstock it says "Made In USA".
Quote by reilly91
What?? Where'd you hear that? On the back of my highway one's headstock it says "Made In USA".

Its probably the other way around then

The parts are mexican, cept for the pickups and its assembled in america
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Its probably the other way around then

The parts are mexican, cept for the pickups and its assembled in america

I dunno, I just purchased the Hwy 1 and it says Made in the USA also (as does their website).

This guitar is freakin' awesome. I thought I had a decent guitar with the PRS SE Custom but, this baby plays like butter!

Thanks for the help to all that commented.

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Quote by A-Ro
I dunno, I just purchased the Hwy 1 and it says Made in the USA also (as does their website).

This guitar is freakin' awesome. I thought I had a decent guitar with the PRS SE Custom but, this baby plays like butter!

Thanks for the help to all that commented.

Sweet, you got the highway one.

The necks and bodies of the highway one's are made in america. The only things that are from mexico are the pickups, and possibly some of the hardware. The pickups aren't the greatest. That's why most people upgrade them. Other than that, these are great guitars.
Quote by reilly91
Sweet, you got the highway one.

The necks and bodies of the highway one's are made in america. The only things that are from mexico are the pickups, and possibly some of the hardware. The pickups aren't the greatest. That's why most people upgrade them. Other than that, these are great guitars.

What do they usually upgrade them to?

The new (upgraded) Hwy 1's do have hotter pickups.

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
What do you mean the new (upgraded) ones? Fender has been slapping the "Upgraded" sticker on them since the 06 highway ones.

I've seen people upgrade the neck and middle positions to vintage noiseless and a gibson 57 (HSS highway one) in the bridge.
Last edited by reilly91 at Feb 13, 2008,
HW1 has hotter pickup? I didn't know that...
I though they modified the pickup so it can take on alots of distortion but still have some of the fender-ish sound character left.

I would go for the American Standard. It's value will hold up better than of the HW1 and I can assure you, the craftsmanship is much better.

It's my opinion... In the end what matters is what you like the most.
Quote by reilly91
What do you mean the new (upgraded) ones? Fender has been slapping the "Upgraded" sticker on them since the 06 highway ones.

LOL, I was talking about those "upgraded ones" from '06 and above. I like how mine sounds for now. If I change anything in the near future it will be to install locking tuners so I can abuse the trem.

Later on down the road I'll probably upgrade the pickups.

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Quote by hminh87
HW1 has hotter pickup? I didn't know that...
I though they modified the pickup so it can take on alots of distortion but still have some of the fender-ish sound character left.

Yeah they are hotter (alnico 3 magnets I believe). The middle pickup is reverse wound to so there's less noise. Humbucker is hotter too.

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio