Hey guys, all the topics about guitar care makes me want to settle some confusion that I've had for a while. My friend told me to buy a humidifier, and use it every night. I have a soft case, but the guy at the guitar store told me that I need a dehumidifier...ok...I didn't really know what he was talking about. I bought a circular thing that sets itself over the hole of the guitar at night:
I wet it to make it humid, or I leave it to dehumidify...am I right on that?

If I don't put it on my guitar every night, is it okay? I still put it in the soft case and zip it up halfway.

I live in Colorado, and it's winter here...thanks.
The humidity should be around 50%. It's probably dry in the winter there, so in your case I would get a humidifier. You can get a hygrometer to check the humidity.
Humidity also matters more for solid wood than laminate.
If you're going to use a case humidifier, then you need a case hydrometer or however you spell it. Don't start blindly humidifying your case without being able to measure it. A simple barometer should show what's going on inside your house.
how long does it generally take for humidity to affect a guitar? I got a Taylor 314ce 2 days ago, I am going on vacation for a week on saturday. I havent had time to figure out how to properly humidify the guitar, though i have a grover humidifier (the kind w. the tube that you submerge). Wondering would it be ok if i just left the guitar in its case as far away from the radiator as possible?
Can I tack a sub-question onto this thread? If I'm driving across the country with my Martin LX1 (or any acoustic guitar really) what sorts of precautions should I take regarding its humidity and storing temperature? I'm likely to encounter sub-zero temperatures and it's not uncommon for me to sleep in my car. What should I do? I have a soft case.
I had a Taylor out of the case overnight (fell asleep and forgot to put it away). The fireplace was across the room, and on auto (thermostat), so it kicks on for 5 mins or so every half hour. In the morning, the top was cracked in that 1/2 spot btw the neck and the soundhole.

Granted, it was my fault, but the dry winter air and a fireplace can suck the moisture out of the air. This "can" affect a guitar somewhat quickly too.

You definitely want to look into a humidfier and learn about how to do it properly.

Taylor guitar's site has a lot of info on humidity. Here's one of the videos they have for it...
http://taylorguitars.com/see-hear/
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Last edited by dgonz at Feb 15, 2008,