*Hopes that this is the right forum*
Okay...
Heres the deal

I've been playing guitar for about 1-2 years and people have told me I've progressed further then others would blah blah blah. Yet my pinky has hardly any strength.

Can someone please tell me some exercises or songs/solos/riffs to strengthen my pinky finger

Thanks in advance

- Lou The Devil
Take this progression (1-4-3-4) and play it as fast as you want for 30seconds on each string.
Funky c, Funky do
Stuff that requires wide stretches. Then you pretty much have to force yourself to use the pinky instead of trying to switch quickly to the ring finger like I used to. Learning "Bed of Razors" by Children of Bodom, for instance, helped me out.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by funky_c
Take this progression (1-4-3-4) and play it as fast as you want for 30seconds on each string.

i belive it is 0-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-0 lol

but that is a good exersize, and also, rolling your fingers back and forth on a desk is a handy way to exercize when you dont have a guitar handy
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Stuff that requires wide stretches. Then you pretty much have to force yourself to use the pinky instead of trying to switch quickly to the ring finger like I used to. Learning "Bed of Razors" by Children of Bodom, for instance, helped me out.

This man speaks truth.

Go learn "Bed of Razorz" by Children of Bodom. There's an excellent tab here on the site. Make sure you learn it cleanly. And that intro riff is the one that is gonna help you with the pinky.

In general, make sure you use the pinky when you can. Instead of stretching that ring finger the extra inch, relax the hand and make yourself use the pinky.

For some reason, I just started using the pinky naturally somewhere between 2-3 months ago or something and now it's soo much stronger/agile. Just work at it
i didn't start using my pinky till after a year

this is gonna sound stupid, but i didn't use my pinky for anything, until i started sweep picking (learning how to)

you're kinda forced to use your pinky in most situations involving sweeps, but don't jump into that if you don't want to. start slow, don't overstretch your fingers that's some risky stuff their that can accumulate and **** you over later in life

best thing to do is to start using your pinky for things like power chords and such, really get into the habit of playing power chords w/ your pinky or any kind of power chordish chord (lol)

then once ur comfortable w/ that, play wide stretch chords (usually dissonance), here's a good one (strum it, basically, you're teaching your pinky to man up):

note the drop tuning

e|----------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------|
D|--8------8------7------7-7-7-5-5--|
A|--5------5------3------3-3-3-1-1--|
D|----0000---0000---5-5--3-3-3-1-1--|

etc

once you're done that, put your pinky to use for soloing/lead work, that's the last step in kinda completing your "pinky training"

just remember, results don't appear over night, takes about 2 weeks to notice anything good (assumption made that you practice once a day/night for about 30 minutes)

take it slow, and don't overstretch your palm/fingers. remember to warm up before doing anything w/ that untrained pinky.

in the end, its all about muscle memory, now go teach that pinky a lesson.

i thought i'd throw this in here too, try learning this basic sweep shape, the easiest (and most common way) to play it involves using all of your 4 fingers and the pinky is no exception:

1=index
2=middle
3=ring finger
4=pinky

4  1  2  3  3  4  1  4  3  3  2  1  4
e|--17p12----------------------------12h17--|
B|--------13----------------------13--------|
G|-----------14----------------14-----------|
D|--------------14----------14--------------|
A|-----------------15-12h15-----------------|
E|------------------------------------------|
Last edited by cptazad at Feb 11, 2008,
Thanks for all your suggestions

I've been learning Bed of Razorz and I think it is helping already. The intro riff I know just i can't do it in time with the song so i will work on that. Is there any otehr songs you would suggest to help my pinky get invovled more that isn't to hard
do a trill with the index and pinky until you cant move your finger
rest, then repeat
do it with the middle and pinky, ring and pinky...
Solo over the pentatonic scale and use your pinky. All you have to do is use it man.
I would just do scales and force yourself to use your pinky when you play songs. That would be the simplest way to learn.
here ya go..this will exercise your fingers very nicely

E|-19p16p13-19p16----------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------13-19p16p13-------------------------19-----------------------------
G|------------------------------------------18p15p12h15p12------15-12--------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------18p15h18p12-

sorry if that is un-aligned, but it shouldn't be that awful.

Try this at 90 bpm then just speed it up by 10 every time your go back up this pattern
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Learn Master of Puppets, the riff that starts at about 30 seconds especially.