Sup yall, Wondering what dictates standard major scale fingerings? I know major scale for each key can be played in many positions but which ones are worth learning first?? I know the 8 10, 7 8 10, 7 9 10, 7 9 10, 8 10, 7 ,8 fingering is c major and the same shape played one fret down is B maj etc.. (i think this is true at least..) but im given 8 10 12, 8 10 12, 8 10 12, 9 10 12, 10 11 12, 10 12 13 as fingering for c maj (Mix) in a column on UG... Surely this is harder/ slower to use?? So what im saying is why use this c major scale 8 10 12 etc rather than 8 10 one (sorry id tab but not sure how on this!)

I understand where and why major scales and i know why second version works--but why use each fingering? Which should i learn?

Cheers for any GOOD advice!
Quote by addthelad28
I understand where and why major scales and i know why second version works--

If you know that then you've just answered your own question mate.

There is no 'right or wrong' way. So long as you're playing the notes in the scale then it doesn't matter if you play it on one string or all six, whatever sounds good.

If your playing the scale as a warm up or fingering exercise then two or three notes per string is good. Just hit the right notes
Yeah but my question is which are the most commonly learnt/ used versions of major scale? Some must be easier to jam with etc and it would be most usefull for me to learn the fingerings most good guitarists use so i can recognise them quickly etc..
Anyone?!
The major scale is the major scale - 7 notes following the WWHWWWH pattern of intervals from the root note. Where your fingers go is irrelevant.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 12, 2008,
It doesn't matter, they're interchangeable. If you're in a position where it's easier to hit the next note on the same string, then do it. If it's easier to hit it on a different string then hit it on a different string. The point is to know the scale well enough that you can play the same note all over the neck.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
not really, scales aren't about fingerings. You just use them in a way that fits with what you've already been playing, for example if you're working around an A major barre chord then there's little point using the major scale along the full length of the open A string when you've already got all the notes under your fingers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok guys, cheers for input.. Think im grasping this.. So i should learn all positions of major scale in every key over whole fretboard. In many different fingering patterns.. Any pointers guys? I mean Whoooo