Hi guys

I have a question
Concerining a soundhole pickup
would it really matter what guitar someone has
because the soundhole pickups really only pickup the magnetic vibrations from the strings
that means it wouldn't really matter what time of guitar you have
right?
because the soundhole pickup doesnt pick up the sound of the body of the guitar or from the vibrations of the top

so doesnt this mean that
a 100 dollar guitar would sound the same as a very expensive guitar with the same sound hole pickup, same action, playability, and intonation?

thanks for your help
Quote by nguyenandyy
so doesnt this mean that
a 100 dollar guitar would sound the same as a very expensive guitar with the same sound hole pickup, same action, playability, and intonation?

Nope.
I don't think so.
You still have to deal with the reality of necks and wood types, and hollow vs. semi-hollow, etc. Cheap guitars will almost always sound cheap regardless of pickups.
Quote by nguyenandyy
Hi guys

so doesnt this mean that

thanks for your help

You kinda answered your own question there didn't ya. Do you really think that a 2000 guitar has the same action, playability and intonation as a 100 dollar guitar? Seriously, do you REALLY think that's even a remote possiblity?
the vibreations from the strings have to resonate through the wood and the inner box of the guitar for the sound. the sound quality depends a lot on the type of wood, the wood could be denser, or have a larger elastic modulus, these things all factor in with the quality of the sound.
sustain, comfort, intonation, action, tuning stability, durability, neck feel, string balance, style.
all are important whether it has a pickup or not.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by theguitarplayin
why not?

Well thats like saying if that if a cheapo electric guitar has the same pick-up as a custom made one then they'll both sound the same.

Think about it.
It does matter some. The way that the woods in a guitar do or don't absorb vibrations from the strings will affect how the strings continue to vibrate, if that makes any sense. I have played an old Guild with a Fishman rare earth soundhole humbucker pickup, and I personally have an Alvarez professional series with a Takamine Tri-ax soundhole humbucker pickup with an internal microphone, which is the same as the L.R. Baggs M1 active, and I can tell you from personal experience that the mic'ed up sound is virtually identical to what the actual guitar sounds like. The sound of the guitar does somehow get amped up through these humbuckers. My triax is obvious, due to the internal mic that picks up soundboard vibrations, but the fishman sounds about the same.

Personally, I think the under-saddle transducers matter less than these humbuckers. I've heard crap guitars sound pretty amazing plugged up... although the amplified sound really isn't what the guitar sounds like unplugged. These soundhole humbuckers are more realistic.
ok if it was the case, why would anyone buy expensive guitars?

think about it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
I agree with what everyone else said.

There's a reason why people bother to buy expensive guitars. You get what you pay for.

Also, don't misunderstand the useage of a pickup. It does not magically make everything sound the same. A pickup is an amplification device. If what you are trying to amplify is crappy, the pickups just amplifies the loudness of that crap. There is NO substitute for good craftsmanship and never will be.
Quote by rhakiath
ok if it was the case, why would anyone buy expensive guitars?

think about it.

Have you heard many UST pickups? Most sound very similar, although all are fairly unrealistic. All I'm saying is that you can get a fairly cheap guitar with a UST pickup and play say a short G chord while plugged in... put that same UST pickup in a more expensive guitar and play a short G chord while plugged in... somebody listening to nothing but the loudspeaker's sound is not going to be able to tell much difference at all.

I had an Ibanez Artwood AW-800ECENT... actually it's boxed up in my car ready to be shipped back mostly because of the crappy way it sounds unplugged... but when I plug it in with my B-band UST pickup and A5T preamp... WOW. Doesn't sound like the guitar itself does, but WOW.

Certain pickups just do a better job of amplifying the true acoustic sound, and you can't get away with putting one of these on a cheap guitar. This Takamine Triax humbucker would sound like hell on this Ibanez. UST's don't matter as much though.
Last edited by corndogggy at Feb 12, 2008,