So I was wondering, does cold weather have much of an effect on my gear?

let me explain.

I often have to leave my bass in the car for up to 4-5 hours at a time. I can't take it into the band room when I arrive at school because other students are in class and I'm a disruption bringin in my bass during class. So I have been leaving it in the car all day, but does the temperature change hurt the bass in any way?

also, the past few days I came down with the flu and haven't had the energy to carry my amps in from my car, so they've been out in the cold for a few days.

I live in nebraska, so we see below zero temperature sometimes.

could the cold be harming my gear?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Cold no. Extreme changes in temperature definitely can. The wood in your bass naturally reacts and changes with temperature. Bringing your bass in and opening up your case right away would be bad. So, the cold shouldn't hurt anything as long as you give it time to gradually warm up before you play it.
Living where it's sub-zero 4 months out of the year, I always never open a case or turn on a tube amp until they feel room temperature to me.
cold will affect tunings greatly, (you're bass will be really out of tune, next time you use it, usually) i'm not sure if it has any long term effects however, this is if its going from a really cold place to a really hot place.

The amp, i'm not all to sure about either, but I know if you have aluminum cones (ugh, bad idea) they need some time to warm up or you can screw them up if they're cold. I'm sure someone can provide a bit more info, as i'm sure i haven't covered everything.
Quote by scawti
Cold no. Extreme changes in temperature definitely can. The wood in your bass naturally reacts and changes with temperature. Bringing your bass in and opening up your case right away would be bad. So, the cold shouldn't hurt anything as long as you give it time to gradually warm up before you play it.
Living where it's sub-zero 4 months out of the year, I always never open a case or turn on a tube amp until they feel room temperature to me.

Well, as for the amps, I'll bring em in and wait a bit before I play em. Sounds like no harm as long as I give them time to get back to room temperaature.

As for the bass, thats what I had been doing (bringin it in and opening it up right away) I'll just have to figure out a new way to get it in the school earlier.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
cold effects everything! but other than the obvious, tuning issues. its' probably not damaging the equipment. now the electronics, on the other hand, could build up some serious condensation, when brought into a warm environment. in a perfect world, you should let the instrument warm to room temp before playing, but hey, who's got that kind of time. as far as the woods, i wouldn't worry too much, after all
it did start-out, as a tree. besides, i'm from Texas, and we know cold weather. lol
now, back to Fitz, at cold control central.
As for the bass, thats what I had been doing (bringin it in and opening it up right away) I'll just have to figure out a new way to get it in the school earlier.

Yeah, I've known more than a couple guys who've needed to replace either a guitar or bass neck from doing that. As someone mentioned, a drastic change can cause condensation which can cause a neck to warp.
Cold is not great for musical instruments. And extreme jumps in cold to hot can effect your neck (truss rod), finish and the wood itself. I've seen acoustic bodies crack in your conditions.

Get yourself a good hardshell case and make sure its lined well. When bringing your instrument into the car, make sure your car is warm before you put it in. Try to see if you can store your bass somewhere instead of your car during the day, but if you have to go that route, don't remove it immediately from its case but let it get up to room temp for a bit before playing and trying to tune it.

I lived for four years in the snow belt (by Lake Erie) and I can appreciate your dilemma here. While we don't have the extremes in temp out here in California, we do have to content with the huge humidity changes, which also play havoc with intonation and wood, and guarantee my local luthier a rather thriving business.
Maybe a cloth/insulated case? The insulation/padding of the case might keep the guitar from warming up or getting cold too fast. Just an idea though not actually sure if that would work.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Hey! Question along these lines......... I live in Michigan and the last month or so hasn't seen temps above 16 degrees F. I keep my Ampeg 8x10 cab outside in an unheated pole-barn; will this affect the cab in any way? There's no moisture in there, it's totally dry so ice isn't a factor. It's just really, really cold! For example, yesterday got down to -20.

So, any harm?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I don't know what'll happen to a solid body instrument or an amp but I can tell you acoustic instruments will crack and the seams can come apart too.
Got Bass?
Quote by mountaindew88
Hey! Question along these lines......... I live in Michigan and the last month or so hasn't seen temps above 16 degrees F. I keep my Ampeg 8x10 cab outside in an unheated pole-barn; will this affect the cab in any way? There's no moisture in there, it's totally dry so ice isn't a factor. It's just really, really cold! For example, yesterday got down to -20.

So, any harm?

Why the **** would you keep THAT in a barn?!?

I don't think it can be too healthy for the cabinet. Sure it may not suffer any damage, but its criminal to keep that expensive in a barn. Give the Ampeg your bed, and you can sleep on the floor.
Yea, dont leave your gear out in the cold. If you must leave it outdoors for any extended period, bring it inside and let it warm up for at least a half hour before you play it. Me, I dont leave my Jazz outside for 10 min let alone hours. Nebraska aint sh** for cold, come on up to Minneapolis right now, friggin brutal boy.
I was hoping this would be about At The Gates, oh well!

Yeah, as has been said, cold is NOT good, at all!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410