If they expected you to know it and it was some sort of prequesit to getting into the school, you'd already know about it.

Chill out mate, your young and now have the perfect opportunity to learn all the stuff that fellow board members will tell you to learn.

Have fun, I wish I had that sort of opportunity at your age.
Most colleges will expect you to be able to read music but that doesn't mean you have to be able to read it well. How well you need to be able read music depends on what exactly you are going for. If you want to play guitar or be a sound tech you won't be expected to be able to read at the same level as the guy that is playing piano.
Not taking any online orders.
I think it might be a good idea to see if you can get together with someone in your music classes to act as a tutor. Reading sheet music will probably be required, and different peoples' proficiency levels vary greatly, they will already know that. Once you get there and start to develop some friendships, you should be able to find someone to help you learn to read better.

I could read music in high school, but not very well, and I really sucked out loud at sight reading. I usually just figured out the parts a note at a time at home then memorized them, same as I did guitar songs. I could play well enough to get into the jazz band and was one of the best 10 or so sax players in the state at the high school level, but couldn't read worth a flip. So I just memorized everything...except my sax solos, they were all ad lib...

You might also try to learn to write sheet music. Take a song you like and transpose it to all wind instruments, and write it out. I tried King Crimson's "Court of the Crimson King", and about 3/4 through a half gallon of iced tea was spilled on my score, ruined it and I didn't want to go through all that again so I dropped the project.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
ahh Pete, that sucks about the tea spilling. I've done that to a friend who was writing music for piano, by accident of course.

anyway TS, if you practice nearly everyday you will become proficient enough. take paleo pete's advice, and get a tutor. it'll help
lol, ive used song books by bands before and they put the music along with the tabs. Its like impossible to sight read music while playing guitar.... and im in AP music theory.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
k. thats comforting to know. and i mean, i can recognise scales and chords and all that goodness when i see it, and i know my key sigs, but im still worried. oh and i do already write music, i take songs like For the Love of God and transpose them, and have my violinist friends play them. so far im pretty good, but still...
my thinking is that you got accepted so you must be at an acceptable level. didn't you have to audition? didn't the audition have a sight-reading segment?
I'm going to SF State to be a piano performance major, and yes, I have an audition in August. I hope I do well. If I don't do as well, I get taught by a graduate student...boo..not a faculty member.
the best way to learn to be a good sight reader is get as much sheet music as possible and play it with out memorizing it
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by CorduroyEW
If you want to play guitar ... you won't be expected to be able to read at the same level as the guy that is playing piano.

Huh? Why wouldn't you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Wrathlegion
Its like impossible to sight read music while playing guitar.... and im in AP music theory.

... and these two posts are a perfect example of the thinking that keeps us guitarists down; keeps us looked down upon as monkeys, trolls, and general idiots when it comes to music.

If people thought differently, they would learn that reading isn't so bad. It's like learning to read anything else. You don't give out A Tale of Two Cities to kids in grade one. Start slow. Start simple. Develop it. Like reading text, the more you do it, the better and more fluent you get. S'all.

Relying on tabs is like a kid learning to navigate a text by looking at the pictures. It keeps guitarists down too. Literacy is power. Do it!

I, too, am surprised that there was no sight-reading component as part of the audition process, but different schools have different requirements.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 12, 2008,