To hate using alternate tunings on my guitar... I hate having to change tunings for each time I want to learn a song... Although it seems that everything that I learn is... D#A#F#C#G#D#

Then every time I want to practice scales and stuff I have to go back to standard...
Quote by creativlogic
To hate using alternate tunings on my guitar... I hate having to change tunings for each time I want to learn a song... Although it seems that everything that I learn is... D#A#F#C#G#D#

Then every time I want to practice scales and stuff I have to go back to standard...

Why do you have to go back to standard to practise scales?

Either play them all one fret higher, or think of the open D#/Eb as an E etc. and ignore the fact it sounds like a different note...

As for 'stuff', unless you specify what the 'stuff' is it's very hard to suggest a solution (i.e a capo, or just play those songs in standard tuning, unless you're playing along to a CD)

Even if you're playing along to backing tracks, if you want them all in one particular tuning you could do what I did with a backing track so it matched two others in Eb for a performance... Download Audacity (google it, it's free to download) and open the song file in Audacity...then using the pitch shift tool, simply shift to the desired key, save and copy to CD with other tracks you need...
Last edited by last_biscuit at Feb 11, 2008,
you should get a different guitar and give them each a different tuning. I have one standard, d tuned, and a whole step down, its quite convenient this way.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
Quote by buckdich_187
you should get a different guitar and give them each a different tuning. I have one standard, d tuned, and a whole step down, its quite convenient this way.

And expensive.
i'm the same. too lazy to change the tunings so just keep it tuned in standard
You can always practice changing tuning so it doesn't take a lot of time and energy to do. I use every tuning from Standard down to C Standard (A Standard to play Korn, though this obviously doesn't hold well), every tuning from drop D down to Drop A#, plus DADGAD, and I can switch between any of those in less that a minute.
Quote by buckdich_187

HAHA yeah that would be a perfect solution if everyone had an abundance of cash. Or you could waste some extra cash on a Gibson Robot Guitar or Fender VG Strat?

Unless you are playing along to the music, you really don't need to tune down. Go with the Audacity solution above that is most sensible solution.