I got a Fender Bassman 100 from a friend and I don't have the cable that connects the head to the cabinet. Can someone tell me exactly what happens when you use a regular guitar cable to connect a head to a cab and will doing this just to test if it works ok (maybe 5 minutes max.) do any serious harm?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Guitar cables are a smaller gauge than acutal speaker cables. Meaning if you push them too hard they can start on fire . I've seen people use them before but I wouldn't recommend it. Spend some extra money on a real speaker cable.
Gear:
2006 Jackson RR3
2006 Ibanez S520EX
Peavy JSX 120W Head
Roland Cube 30
I used a spekr cable for my guitar to the amp once, caused a LOT of noise, but hey it worked...
Quote by Grimpenguin
I used a spekr cable for my guitar to the amp once, caused a LOT of noise, but hey it worked...

LOL. hey it works. but amp to cab... if you dont use speaker cable... it wont be pretty. at BEST it will only work for abit. at worst... it will litterally blow up your amp and cause a fire.
No it won't work! It will just squeel and cause harm to your head. You need an instrument cable.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
it can melt the actual wire or the shielding so it shorts to the ground. That will usually fry an output transformer or transistor even. If you've ever seen the inside of instrument cable, it's a very very thin core conductor wire for carrying a passive signal from the guitar. Most of the thickness is shielding. Speaker wire has no shielding, it's the core conductor that makes it thick. There is a lot of current getting pushed thru that cable, depending how powerful your amp is, and how hard you are driving it. Not a good idea at all.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ok well I don't have any way to get a new cable so I just wanted to check and make sure this thing still works. I guess I'll just try and get one soon or maybe eBay...
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I am currently using a guitar cable to connect my 15 watt tube amp to a cab. It will work for your test, but do not use it long term cause it sounds bad.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
I'm currently running my Epi Valve Jr. to my cab through an instrument cable. It works fine but is really not a smart move on my part. Better to bite the bullet and spend the $20 on a proper speaker cable.
Both cables just move an electric signal, speaker cable is a lower gauge cable and can handle a lot more energy than instrument cable. If you keep volume very low, and there is minimal wattage going out of the amp you shouldn't have much of a problem. Too much energy will cause the higher gauge wires to melt or more likely burn your cable or desolder from the jacks. If that happens you suddenly have no load for the channel on your amp, and boom you could blow the amp. It's risky business at best, I'd get a real speaker cable as fast as you possibly can.