Well, this sunday, my band and I are gonna get together and record some stuff. I can sing in front of them fine, but I fear that when I get in front of the mic, I'm gonna screw up. So I have a few questions:

How loud should I be? Like, can i actually yell for scream-ish parts?

Should I record like the chorus, then verse, then bridge, or do it all at once? (i might run outta breath)

How do I control my nerves? Seriously, I get really short of breath when I get nervous...
It doesn't make sense to be nervous, it's a recording, not a live perf. If you mess up, you can delete your mistakes. You can't do that in real life.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
^ dead on, i have the same problem but only cuz i think to myself "i dont wanna spend the next 2 weeks trying to get the perfect vocals" also, this belongs in riffs and recording really.
Quote by TwilightX
Well, this sunday, my band and I are gonna get together and record some stuff. I can sing in front of them fine, but I fear that when I get in front of the mic, I'm gonna screw up. So I have a few questions:

Should I record like the chorus, then verse, then bridge, or do it all at once? (i might run outta breath)

How do I control my nerves? Seriously, I get really short of breath when I get nervous...

Yes. Scream your ****ing lungs out!

If you want. Generally you'd do it in peices, just to get the best possible sound out of it. But if you want a more live sounding recording, do it all in one.

Controlled breathing, meditation beforehand, and just remember that it's a studio, you can always go back and ProTools out any mistakes.
i think its better to do all screamin one day then clean the next. other wise your clean might sound like garbage.
If you worry about it too much the stress will get in the way of your singing and will make you sound a lot worse. Instead just try and have fun singing, get into the emotions and feelings of the song and let it flow out of you.

Because no matter how good you are, if you care too much you will limit yourself. The only way to be the best that you can be is to relax..so there is absolutely no valid reason for worrying.
Let it hang out man. You have to learn that with vocals if you hold back even 1% it will come out on the recording. SO be 100% confident remember the basics and youll do fine.

IF things are going bad just give yourself a minute. The glorious thing about recording is you can do it till you think its right.
Make sure the headphones are loud enough that it won't feel weird to scream... make it as much like a live setting as you can. Also, make sure your bandmates aren't around. It's hard to scream convincingly if everyone else is giggling cause they can't hear the music with it.

Also, if you're legal, drink.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by TwilightX

Get drunk snort some coke. you'll be fine
^ im preferential of coffee but definately do not drink alcohol (it screws up your vocal chords whether you wanna believe it or not) and NO DRUGS!!!! jesus, how many times we gotta tell the kids in here. drugs screw up your perception so you might THINK it sounds good when you do it but when you go back and listen to it, it'll be friggin awful.
^
Well no **** you're not gonna dump something scalding hot down your throat.

Anyway, DO NOT ACTUALLY SCREAM DURING THESE RECORDINGS! There is actually a technique to it, and if you just "go out and scream your arse off," you're risking completely destroying your voice. Would you enjoy never being able to do something like this again because you thought screaming might sound good on one of your recordings? Go listen to z4twenny's guide on it in his profile. He has an excellent audio-tutorial that I highly recommend.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)