I just acquired a peavey t-40, which im really pleased with. Since it is from 70's I have had difficulties finding information on it, the thing im most confused by is a switch my friend whom i got it from called a phase switch?

my question is what the hell does it do? All it seems to do is give it a less hollow sound.
So, goin’ down the Amazon in a light green ’57 Chevy, uh. Well, you think that’s, um, kind of heavy?
From my understanding it throws the magnets out of phase? Don't quote me on that I'm suer someone can answer more intelligently but it changes the sound as you've noticed.
the switch changes the p-ups from series to parallel. basically the same thing as the infamous "S-1" switch, that Fender is about to "phase" out of production. it will give you a choice of sound, not available on most basses. kinda neat, but meh.
btw, congrats on the new bass. the Peavey T-40 served me well, for many years. i consider it a very under-rated, intermediate, heavier than sh*t, nice bass.
that makes sense.
Also, is there a way to raise up the switch? the little thing that holds it up is missing so the switch lies halfway in the body and its pretty hard to use.

I'm not sure if i'll be able to stand and play it. The first time i stood up with it i lost my balance and almost fell into my amp.

I'll have pictures when i get done restoring it.
So, goin’ down the Amazon in a light green ’57 Chevy, uh. Well, you think that’s, um, kind of heavy?
there is a nut, that holds the switch in place, it should be relativly easy to find.
don't worry about the weight, just get used to it. because once you get used to that, everything else will be light as a feather. i recommend a good cleaning at most. restoring a bass back to original working order is fine, but don't paint it, unless it's really "dogged" out, a worn bass has more "cred" than a refinished bass.
refinishing destroys any chance of future "collectable" value. and the T-40 will be a collector one day, i'm sure. pics please!!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 12, 2008,
I'm pleased to say that there is very few cosmetic flaws, the only ones are smudges on the back of the neck, a small chip in the neck, and a huge crack in the pickguard. Mine is a really bright red with a black with white trimmed pickguard.

Ill get pictures as soon as i finish with my english project tomorrow.