As the title implies i want to take guitar serious now... ive got about two months of messing around under my belt and i have no idea where to start. i have learned a few easy parts to some songs, and some power chord and pentatonic stuff and thats about it. any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. i have been trying to self teach myself with no real results, except some blisters and the begginings of calluses. I play an electric(copy-strat) and like all kinds of music from bluesy stuff to killswitch so im not opposed to trying different things if it means to improve. i have been "practicing" for bout 1:30 on most days.

Thanks in advance
well you sound like you're on track. just keep doing what you're doing - i bet you're better than when you started. if you can afford it, you should get some lessons, and there are hundreds of video lessons and articles on the web that can help you .

good luck
I love these threads

Haha! Blisters and calluses forming... I remember those. I was so excited when my fingers developed their manly toughness.

Ok... Here is what I think. Music Theory is important. I know it isn't really what you want to hear, but trust me. I never listened to the people on UG three years ago when I was starting and as a result, still can't instantly name the note my finger is on (but I'm working on it). So learn the notes of the fretboard. It'll take a while, and it will be boring as hell, but once you've got that down, things become a lot easier. Once you've learned the notes, you can work on some real theory. I mean intervals and the major scale. If you learn intervals you will understand the scales, and if you learn the major scale, you can build a lot off of it. If you've followed my advice up until this point, then you should have no real trouble playing the scale anywhere on the neck (obviously you aren't going to be perfect, but you get my point). You'll also want to learn the Pentatonics. Use the scale formulas! By all means, the box positions that you will encounter are helpful (its how I've played for a few years), but you don't want to be stuck in boxes. That's why I suggested you learn the note positions and scale formulas. That way, you can play 1 b3 4 5 b7 (its a scale formula for the minor pentatonic, and will become clearer if you learn that stuff) anywhere you want to without being stuck in certain boxes. It just gives you a lot more freedom. I've been a bit repetitive, but hopefully you get what I mean.

By the way, the Circle of Fifths helped me (and plenty of other people) a lot. You might want to use it. Tis good.

One more point... I know theory is boring, so don't get bogged down in it. If you do, you'll get sick of playing guitar, and we don't want that. So one thing that helped me (and still does) is improvisation. Improvising over songs. You mentioned that you play bluesy stuff. Once you've got the pentatonics down, the Blues will be a good start for improvisation. Its a load of fun, and if you know your neck well enough, you'll be moving all around in no time. It will also teach you some licks (both your own, when you go "hey, that sounds alright" and the ones on the song you are listening to).

I hope I haven't rambled on too much... I like being able to help people through my own experiences after teaching myself for a few years. Feel free to come and talk to me.

Lastly, have fun playing. Its very important.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by jp58
As the title implies i want to take guitar serious now... ive got about two months of messing around under my belt and i have no idea where to start. i have learned a few easy parts to some songs, and some power chord and pentatonic stuff and thats about it. any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. i have been trying to self teach myself with no real results, except some blisters and the begginings of calluses. I play an electric(copy-strat) and like all kinds of music from bluesy stuff to killswitch so im not opposed to trying different things if it means to improve. i have been "practicing" for bout 1:30 on most days.

Thanks in advance

If you've learned pentatonic scales and some power chords, and parts to some songs, I hardly call that "just messing around" during your first 2 months. You've learned a decent amount. Sure if you had tried harder and been more serious about it, you'd have more learned by now, but don't think for a second that those 2 months were wasted.
Quote by syk3d
I love these threads

Haha! Blisters and calluses forming... I remember those. I was so excited when my fingers developed their manly toughness.

Ok... Here is what I think. Music Theory is important. I know it isn't really what you want to hear, but trust me. I never listened to the people on UG three years ago when I was starting and as a result, still can't instantly name the note my finger is on (but I'm working on it). So learn the notes of the fretboard. It'll take a while, and it will be boring as hell, but once you've got that down, things become a lot easier. Once you've learned the notes, you can work on some real theory. I mean intervals and the major scale. If you learn intervals you will understand the scales, and if you learn the major scale, you can build a lot off of it. If you've followed my advice up until this point, then you should have no real trouble playing the scale anywhere on the neck (obviously you aren't going to be perfect, but you get my point). You'll also want to learn the Pentatonics. Use the scale formulas! By all means, the box positions that you will encounter are helpful (its how I've played for a few years), but you don't want to be stuck in boxes. That's why I suggested you learn the note positions and scale formulas. That way, you can play 1 b3 4 5 b7 (its a scale formula for the minor pentatonic, and will become clearer if you learn that stuff) anywhere you want to without being stuck in certain boxes. It just gives you a lot more freedom. I've been a bit repetitive, but hopefully you get what I mean.

By the way, the Circle of Fifths helped me (and plenty of other people) a lot. You might want to use it. Tis good.

One more point... I know theory is boring, so don't get bogged down in it. If you do, you'll get sick of playing guitar, and we don't want that. So one thing that helped me (and still does) is improvisation. Improvising over songs. You mentioned that you play bluesy stuff. Once you've got the pentatonics down, the Blues will be a good start for improvisation. Its a load of fun, and if you know your neck well enough, you'll be moving all around in no time. It will also teach you some licks (both your own, when you go "hey, that sounds alright" and the ones on the song you are listening to).

I hope I haven't rambled on too much... I like being able to help people through my own experiences after teaching myself for a few years. Feel free to come and talk to me.

Lastly, have fun playing. Its very important.

Good info
+1000 to syk3d!!! He's pretty much summed it up. Here's another point to consider: practice.

Practice is defined as "To perform or work at so as to become proficient." Once you've done that...gotten something down right and you've been playing it awhile, it's not practice anymore...it's jamming. Playing Metallica songs for an hour and a half that you know isn't practice UNLESS there's still parts that need work. So if you have a limited amount of time, try to fill it with something you don't know and have something to work toward. BUT, save yourself a little time at the end for jamming...like a reward for a job well done. That way you don't forget what you've learned before AND that day.

A well structured practice is like a proper diet...you can really grow by leaps and bounds.
Quote by jp58

Thanks in advance

go to nextlevelguitar.com
Learn all/most open chords and be able to switch freely between them and then learn the different places you can play the same chord in a barre form on different parts of the neck.

Then you can learn Major/Minor scales that will allow you to know what chords to play in what key and you run the corresponding scales along with that chord progression.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
okay... made bit of overstatement earlier... i am beggining pentatonics and still learning some power chord stuff. i can play parts of when i come around, r&r aint noise pollution, tnt, among a few others i cant think o right now. i am getting a once a week "teaching day" with a friend where he is picking chunks of songs and their teq's... any suggestions for outside of my"lessons" practice, also i got a lot of free time the flu caused our school to close until next wednesday
gear list
1 copy strat (son to be replaced)
2 pracice amp??? no idea on make model...
3 digitech rp90 multi fx(love it 4 the metronome and drum beats)
also what are some easier riffs/licks from songs i can learn?
also i generally warmup with a song part or two then the learning of a technique(curently pentatonics) and that is followed by a cooldown jam or beggining to learn a new songpart or playin with my fx pedal