Okay, I know that the original Super champ is a complete tube amp... so I am confuse as to whether it's a tube amp with DSP effects, or a hybrid with tube power amp?

If it's hybrid with tube power amp, is it good enough to compete against a complete tube amp?
It's Hybrid.

The preamp is all Digitalised, and it runs into a Tube Power amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^it also has a 12ax7 to buffer it or something
dont quote me on that though...

but it has to have a digitalized preamp, cuz it has settings like the spiders do (the champ sounds good though )

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ Yeah, it has a Phase Splitter and it'd have to have another triode to bring it up to a level so the power section could actually work on it .
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Jestersage
If it's hybrid with tube power amp, is it good enough to compete against a complete tube amp?

Theoretically, it should be as loud as a full tube amp with the same wattage and speaker, if that's what you mean by "compete."
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well the preamp is digital, but the poweramp is tube. This is a thing I love they're starting to do, because it captures the things from tubes modelers can't.

Oh and it will "compete" with a tube amp, since the poweramp is all tube (and phase inverter).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
^it also has a 12ax7 to buffer it or something
dont quote me on that though...

It's (highly likely that it's) the phase inverter, which is part of the power amp. Both triodes are.
Ah, a theoretically good hybrid. Could be a good project for modding (hopefully).

The reason I WAS confused is that Fender say they use the 12AX7 for preamp on the website, but I know that at the minimum class AB amp will need 2x 12ax7 + 2x power tube, one for preamp and one for phase inverter. So basically Fender made a false advertisement.

Since it's digital preamp, I know some people will hate it (in fact harmony-central have people saying it's digital). Going to just wait for a second hand to appear so I can buy it cheaply :P
Hmmm, I thought it was all tube on one channel, and hybrid/ss on the other (with the effects and whatnot). I'd be the first to admiy my stupidity, however.

Any chance on a schematic this soon?
That's what I thought too, but as soon as I looked at the fact that it's class AB and only have 1x 12AX7 made me wonder as to the design of this thing. Still, I guess the reason why even clean sound tubey is that it has a power tube section, where tube sound actually occur.

Have anyone actually done an A/B of this thing? I mean A/B to any tube amp, not just the actual model it is suppose to mimic. This could easily be better than Valvtronix.

P.S. I know phase inverter could be solid state; however, I do not know how it affects the sound, since in modern tube amp, except retifier, the rest must be tube based.
Last edited by Jestersage at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Jestersage
The reason I WAS confused is that Fender say they use the 12AX7 for preamp on the website, but I know that at the minimum class AB amp will need 2x 12ax7 + 2x power tube, one for preamp and one for phase inverter. So basically Fender made a false advertisement.

You can do both with just use tube. There are phase inverter designs which only use one triode. They are quite 'primitive' (inefficient, distort easily, etc) though, so I doubt they used any of those in this amp (Fender switched to the long tail phase inverter, the one which uses two triodes, in the late 50's). A single triode preamp would be quite weak, as well.
Think anyone would even try to mod this Super Champ (considering SS is nightmare for diy)? Throw in a preamp out-power amp in + a power attenuator and you have a good recording amp.
Quote by Jestersage
Think anyone would even try to mod this Super Champ (considering SS is nightmare for diy)? Throw in a preamp out-power amp in + a power attenuator and you have a good recording amp.

Throw out the entire digital part, and put it a preamp tube and a tonestack. That's a nice mod.
Quote by mr_hankey
Throw out the entire digital part, and put it a preamp tube and a tonestack. That's a nice mod.

Hah, I loled.
Sorry to reviving an old thread. Anyway, I was looking at the schematic of the OLD super champ and the pro jr, and I notice that the super champ's phase inverter only use ONE triode of the 6C10 as phase inverter.

Thus, it is possible for Fender Super Champ XD's clean channel to be tube or mostly tube, assuming it truly bypass the DSP. If this hold true, I would get this one instead of ProJr.
Well the old Super Champ and the new one have very few things in common really.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009