hey

i dunno if there are any other people having this problem that could give me sum advice. I play an Ibanez GSZ 120 through a Starfire Mega 10 with a boss metalzone. The problem is with the volume knob of my pickup closer to the bridge. I always have it on high but if sometimes I just touch the knob or try to decrease it or anything the drive just kicks out completely and although u can still hear sumthing (no drive)its reli weak and sounds weird. The way i usually correct it is by gently touching or hitting the knob as this usually brings the drive back after sum vigorous tweaking. However i don't want this problem to affect me on stage as if i just touch the knob at anytime the drive will kick out and sometimes it can be a mission to bring it back. This occurs with the drive off my amp and off my pedal. And this problem only affects this one knob, my other knob closest to the neck for my other pickup is totally fine.

please any advice will be appreciated

Ibanez dude
Last edited by Saffron_Inferno at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by Saffron_Inferno
hey

i dunno if there are any other people having this problem that could give me sum advice. I play an Ibanez GSZ 120 through a Starfire Mega 10 with a boss metalzone. The problem is with the volume knob of my pickup closer to the bridge. I always have it on high but if sometimes I just touch the knob or try to decrease it or anything the drive just kicks out completely and although u can still hear sumthing (no drive)its reli weak and sounds weird. The way i usually correct it is by gently touching or hitting the knob as this usually brings the drive back after sum vigorous tweaking. However i don't want this problem to affect me on stage as if i just touch the knob at anytime the drive will kick out and sometimes it can be a mission to bring it back. This occurs with the drive off my amp and off my pedal.

please any advice will be appreciated

Ibanez dude

maybe its were u have the master all the way up on the amp and the volume knob on your guitar is at like 2, or 3 were u dont wont it to get to loud and when you hit the knob it goes to 1 or 0 and you cant hear it so try turning the master down and the volume from your guitar all the way up
Your electronics basically blow my friend. I highl recommend getting new pots, and you are going to want to do a treble rolloff bypass mod to your volume pot. You get a .001 size capacitor NO BIGGER, solder one tip of it to left lug volume, the other one to middle lug (sweeper)volume. that hot-rod is designed to take care of that very problem, bt likely your problem is a wiring/solderissue somewhere. a cold joint, dead wire, something.
+1 for a bad pot or connection. does the amp make a crackling sound when you adjust the volume?
Two words

Contact cleaner.

Pull off the knob and spray some in as close as you can to the stem, work the knob full twist a few times and it should clean up, the pot is dirty. If it's not beyond your expertise you can also remove the pickguard or backplate (whichever way it's set up) and the pot should have a small opening. Spray contact cleaner in there and it does a great job. Do all the pots while you're at it, if they're not already dirty it will keep them from having problems for a while.

This is a very common problem, easy to fix. The pot is not bad, just dirty. I keep a can of contact cleaner handy all the time. You can get it at automotive parts stores, and some guitar stores are now starting to carry it too, but more expensive. CRC makes good stuff.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...