There are so many styles of music tht a played and heard 2day, everyone tht plays guitar are garanted to be flamilerised with a well known band. Which fair enough uve got to be inspired by someone.

But the thing is:
-Is there any room for rock music or any music from those times like punk from the 70s and 80s, to played again thru out the music business and the world.What i mean is,do people still look for bands tht play like ac/dc or led zep. Or does the music business think its be done once and thts tht.They wont get far cause its all ready been done.

-How do u create your own technique of playing if all the music tht u love and play has all bin done before?

Is there still room out there to play rock, metal, punk music or have u got to play the music like indie tht is so known thru this time. I am asking all this because rock music and things dont seem to be known as much as it did once and it doesnt seem as big and popular as it used to with teenagers. What makes it worse is all tht boom boom music tht sounds like a rewond tape puts teenagers off rock music.

What happened to the days off every1 had long hair and things. Iam only 18 meself.

Plz answer my questions.
theres always a large enough group. Pretty much everyone over 40 wants a new led zep. find your niche and rock it.
Quote by Jon Bloor
There are so many styles of music tht a played and heard 2day, everyone tht plays guitar are garanted to be flamilerised with a well known band. Which fair enough uve got to be inspired by someone.

But the thing is:
-Is there any room for rock music or any music from those times like punk from the 70s and 80s, to played again thru out the music business and the world.What i mean is,do people still look for bands tht play like ac/dc or led zep. Or does the music business think its be done once and thts tht.They wont get far cause its all ready been done.

-How do u create your own technique of playing if all the music tht u love and play has all bin done before?

Is there still room out there to play rock, metal, punk music or have u got to play the music like indie tht is so known thru this time. I am asking all this because rock music and things dont seem to be known as much as it did once and it doesnt seem as big and popular as it used to with teenagers. What makes it worse is all tht boom boom music tht sounds like a rewond tape puts teenagers off rock music.

What happened to the days off every1 had long hair and things. Iam only 18 meself.

Plz answer my questions.

Ok, I'm 41 years old and when I was a kid, I was into Motorhead, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest all that kinda stuff, but at the time, (well, where I lived anyway) you hardly ever met anyone else into the same stuff. At school, there were just a handfull of us out of 1000 students. Everyone else was into Duran Duran or Bananarama or whoever else was in the charts at the time.
Then the first issue of Kerrang hit the shelves with Angus Young on the cover, and Donington Rock Festival opened its doors to the public for the first time with Rainbow, Judas Priest, Scorpians, Saxon, April Wine, Touch and Riot on the bill. Then Motorhead hit the charts with 'Ace of Spades.' Things were getting better, but you were still an outcast unless you were at a concert with the rest of the outcasts, and because all the trendie bastards had now seen Motorhead on Top of the Pops and witnessed 'headbanging' they now had plenty of amunition to use against us.
We struggled for our love of rock music in those days, we were spat at in the streets, derided by small children, made fun of in nightclubs for asking the DJ to play Whitesnake's latest single, and quite often, beaten up outside afterwards for not conforming.
I look around me today and I see kids everywhere, great big bunches of them, all into the same music we were into.
Led Zeppelin t-shirts, Iron Maiden t-shirts, Motorhead t-shirts, long hair, leather jackets, even flaired jeans for christs sake.
We even have a pub dedicated to rock music called the Sanctuary Rock Bar in my home town now, open 7 days and nights a week with live acts three or four nights a week. When I was a kid, the only places localy for us were a club that hired a small room out to a local rock DJ one night a week (Thursdays) and a venue that put a decent band on every Sunday afternoon.
What happened to those days of long hair and things? You're living in them mate.
I would truly love to be 18 in today's music scene, because looking at it today, it seems a veritable utopia compaired to when I was a kid, you lucky, lucky person.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 12, 2008,
Ok, I'm 41 years old and when I was a kid, I was into Motorhead, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest all that kinda stuff, but at the time, (well, where I lived anyway) you hardly ever met anyone else into the same stuff. At school, there were just a handfull of us out of 1000 students. Everyone else was into Duran Duran or Bananarama or whoever else was in the charts at the time.
Then the first issue of Kerrang hit the shelves with Angus Young on the cover, and Donington Rock Festival opened its doors to the public for the first time with Rainbow, Judas Priest, Scorpians, Saxon, April Wine, Touch and Riot on the bill. Then Motorhead hit the charts with 'Ace of Spades.' Things were getting better, but you were still an outcast unless you were at a concert with the rest of the outcasts, and because all the trendie bastards had now seen Motorhead on Top of the Pops and witnessed 'headbanging' they now had plenty of amunition to use against us.
We struggled for our love of rock music in those days, we were spat at in the streets, derided by small children, made fun of in nightclubs for asking the DJ to play Whitesnake's latest single, and quite often, beaten up outside afterwards for not conforming.
I look around me today and I see kids everywhere, great big bunches of them, all into the same music we were into.
Led Zeppelin t-shirts, Iron Maiden t-shirts, Motorhead t-shirts, long hair, leather jackets, even flaired jeans for christs sake.
We even have a pub dedicated to rock music called the Sanctuary Rock Bar in my home town now, open 7 days and nights a week with live acts three or four nights a week. When I was a kid, the only places localy for us were a club that hired a small room out to a local rock DJ one night a week (Thursdays) and a venue that put a decent band on every Sunday afternoon.
What happened to those days of long hair and things? You're living in them mate.
I would truly love to be 18 in today's music scene, because looking at it today, it seems a veritable utopia compaired to when I was a kid, you lucky, lucky person.

Wow, that's really interesting, I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Wow, that's really interesting, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Cheers bud.
Y'know, I used to hear older folk say this when I was young, and i never thought I'd ever say it myself, but.... you young 'un's don't know you're born nowadays.
I was talking to my guitarist the other day about when we first started off playing in bands.
There was no internet then either, no websites like UG to turn to for help, no lyrics websites to find the words to that cover song that you just can't make out what they are singing.
CDs hadn't been invented so you could either release your music on a cassette tape or on vinal, which cost a fortune and was well out of the affordability of a young band.

But at least ale and ciggies were cheaper then.
wow what a speech. Seems as tho for me no1 likes the music i do where iam which is why i asked tht question. But what about my other questions?

The bands I know that play classic rock aren't trying to get anywhere with it. They play to please themselves, plus it's really good jam music that everyone knows. Also, even if you're not trying to "break through" in the business there's still plenty of money to be made.

There was a thread about originality in here a few days ago, I think this topic got pretty well covered.

I disagree, I think there's more people into metal now than ever before, and most rock has become very mainstream. Yeah, there is a huge amount of indie about at the moment, but you don't have to play anything if you don't want to. Chances are that if something stands the test of time, it's been produced with passion and it's pretty obvious that you won't get that if you're playing music you don't like. With good use of the internet there's room in the music business for people playing every type of music.
Quote by Jon Bloor

But the thing is:

Plz answer my questions.

it seems to me you are in denial, because as Eirien says before me, i also believe that people today are much more into rock then they where back in the day (not that i would know for sure seeing how i am only 18 )
and from the vibe i get off of your post with the whole, "What makes it worse is all tht boom boom music tht sounds like a rewond tape puts teenagers off rock music.",

whats wrong with boom boom music? and if you have a problem with it because people like it more then rock n roll, then you should infact hate rock and roll, because its not like rock and roll was the first music invented, im sure rock and roll stole teenagers from whatever genre of music was hot before it

you probably think that you are the only one who likes rock music so that makes you think your an outcast, and day by day you just keep convincing yourself of how much of an outcast you are and that you are rebelling by being an outcast, because it shouldnt really matter what music you, or the people around you, listen to, just do what you do and listen to what pleases your ears, not what the people around you are going to think about you listening to it.

as for "-How do u create your own technique of playing if all the music tht u love and play has all bin done before?" well thats a physical impossibility since it cant be your own technique if it has already been done before

Is there still room out there to play rock, metal, punk music or have u got to play the music like indie tht is so known thru this time.

if your trying to make music dont worry about whats going on around you, just focus on yourself and your guitar (or instrument)
Quote by Eirien
The bands I know that play classic rock aren't trying to get anywhere with it. They play to please themselves, plus it's really good jam music that everyone knows. Also, even if you're not trying to "break through" in the business there's still plenty of money to be made.

There was a thread about originality in here a few days ago, I think this topic got pretty well covered.

I disagree, I think there's more people into metal now than ever before, and most rock has become very mainstream. Yeah, there is a huge amount of indie about at the moment, but you don't have to play anything if you don't want to. Chances are that if something stands the test of time, it's been produced with passion and it's pretty obvious that you won't get that if you're playing music you don't like. With good use of the internet there's room in the music business for people playing every type of music.

Thnks for the info its realli helped me out.
Quote by LeftoverJared
it seems to me you are in denial, because as Eirien says before me, i also believe that people today are much more into rock then they where back in the day (not that i would know for sure seeing how i am only 18 )
and from the vibe i get off of your post with the whole, "What makes it worse is all tht boom boom music tht sounds like a rewond tape puts teenagers off rock music.",

whats wrong with boom boom music? and if you have a problem with it because people like it more then rock n roll, then you should infact hate rock and roll, because its not like rock and roll was the first music invented, im sure rock and roll stole teenagers from whatever genre of music was hot before it

you probably think that you are the only one who likes rock music so that makes you think your an outcast, and day by day you just keep convincing yourself of how much of an outcast you are and that you are rebelling by being an outcast, because it shouldnt really matter what music you, or the people around you, listen to, just do what you do and listen to what pleases your ears, not what the people around you are going to think about you listening to it.

as for "-How do u create your own technique of playing if all the music tht u love and play has all bin done before?" well thats a physical impossibility since it cant be your own technique if it has already been done before

Is there still room out there to play rock, metal, punk music or have u got to play the music like indie tht is so known thru this time.

if your trying to make music dont worry about whats going on around you, just focus on yourself and your guitar (or instrument)

Thnks for the info. I know everyone has different tatses in music but the dj or dance music i cant stand. Its true when u say feel like an outcast because all my m8s like all tht dance music and i get stick off thm for listening to mine. I dont realli listen to thm anyway seeing i am the only lad out of the 5 of us wiv long hair.lol, I dont realli know any1 tht plays an instrument tht much but it still doesnt stop me what i love doing.
Thnks for the heads up!!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I wish i lived where u do. In my school, there is id say, about 100 people who like 'rock' music, commonly referred to as 'Greebs'.
However, out of them about 15 like Led Zep and the oldies. Everyone else seems to like Panic at the disco and stuff like that.
Yh we get picked on by the 'chavs' but that happens less and less to me now. Probably because i've proved that im uite happy to beat everyone who insults me.
Its not so different nowadays.

However, i do agree that in live music terms, it is alot better, especially now that im 16. We have a couple of clubs around and also a good Pub about 20 miles away, that sets up a Jam Night every thursday. Its good. I call that pub my 'local' even though im about 35 miles away where i live.

Kind of a pointless post really.

db