Page 1 of 2
Seems like a good idea.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Good idea but its never going to work, people will still find a way round in order to not have to pay for stuff
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

i'm glad i stopped downloading like that ages ago,

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

How the heck do they think they will regulate all the data streaming at any given time to single out the people downloading illegally?
Quote by CLVPX
Nope.

Explain.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
good luck. over here in the land of the free we are always thinking of plans that might work, not this rubbish.

EDIT:also, in before zero cool hackers reference.
Quote by bendystraw
good luck. over here in the land of the free we are always thinking of plans that might work, not this rubbish.

So spending billions trying to invent a 'space' pen that will work in zero gravity while the russians just used pencils was a plan that worked? :P
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Last edited by aleb at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by bendystraw

EDIT:also, in before zero cool hackers reference.

Originally a dropped American idea actually... the British government think its possible though
This will never work.

Just like RIAA has stopped millions world-wide from downloading music, films and other copyrighted material.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Quote by aleb
So spending billions trying to invent a 'space' pen that will work in zero gravity while the russians just used pencils was a plan that worked? :P

That bit about pens is a myth. They couldn't use pencils because the leads would snap off tiny bits and would get into the air and electronics.
its the end of the internet
everyone i know has downloaded illegally at least 3 times
*hopes Government isn't watching*

thats everyone i know banned from the internet
6 people - gone!
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
Quote by filthandfury
That bit about pens is a myth. They couldn't use pencils because the leads would snap off tiny bits and would get into the air and electronics.

... yeah but...

phail
Quote by mustaineNslash
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by Donaldguitar
How will this work exactly? How can they tell that someone is downloading?

From your ISP.

What about people in homes that have wireless networks. Me and my bro occasionally download illegally but my sis dad and mum don't so how would they cancel the network for us two and keep it for the others. It's a rediculous idea which won't happen.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
It still goes out through a cable, dude.

"Film and music companies lose millions of revenue" f*ck them, as if they havn't got enough.
Communism ftw.

Quote by jambi_mantra
What about people in homes that have wireless networks. Me and my bro occasionally download illegally but my sis dad and mum don't so how would they cancel the network for us two and keep it for the others. It's a rediculous idea which won't happen.

They will ban your homes internet contract. So you would f*ck it up for your parents and sister.
Quote by jambi_mantra

They're not banning each individual person, they are banning the connection. Unless you and your brother have a seperate connection through a seperate router, then your whole family will be banned. If you don't like it, don't download illegaly.

And on the contrary, it is quite possible. If the ISP sees that your connection is being absolutely raped day in and day out, what could you possibly be doing other than downloading files. They can either get a warrant to search your computer. Or, they could look at the log (which everyone will have, unless you use a proxy or some other **** like that) to look at where you've accessed recently. So not only that, if it's peer to peer, they could see who you're downloading it from aswell.
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Quote by rabidguitarist
Explain.

Well look at every other anti-piracy scheme existing.

Also, it mentions the two most trivial; music and video.

Now trust me, I have seen first hand all of the software piracy which goes on, it shold be a priority. And to all those who say they hate pirates etc...many of you use pirate software every day, could not run without it, it is the base of your computer, without it, your computer would be a brick.

Thats right, many of you either awaringly or unawaringly use pirate windows xp/vista, there is no difference (I know, used to run on one which passed genuine etc)

So, for one, they are tackling the wrong problem, also at the wrong time, look at Qtrax (google) it's legal music downloads (free) sponsored by advertising. I mean sure, I have music I downloaded back on dial-up over 5-6 years ago, through kazaa! I'm not denying it, more or less everyone has done it, so what's going to happen, close everyone's internets? Only problem would be that if somehow the person managed to reaccess the internet, they could download and the government couldn't watch them, as their internet is "off".
I heard on the good old fashioned radio that it's only for sites though, so how would they know if it's from Limewire?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
"Do you download illegally or do you think it's right that illegal downloaders should be disconnected? Send us your comments by filling out the form below."

Subtle BBC is subtle.
I think it's a good idea, but not exactly sure how they could pull it off...
How do they tell what is legal and what is illegal downloading?

Every single one of us has a legal right to backup any and all of the media we own.

Not all torrent files are for illegal content.

It's only a green paper which means it's far from being law. Some committee or another will stamp this BS out before it becomes a reality.
Oh come on this could never be implemented, access to the internet is just too damn easy to get hold of to ever get 'banned' from it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
If it happens I recon ISPs will be very leniant. They will be told to ban people, but won't want to. They aren't exactly going to WANT to get rid of all their paying customers.
Quote by ChoPxSueY
They're not banning each individual person, they are banning the connection. Unless you and your brother have a seperate connection through a seperate router, then your whole family will be banned. If you don't like it, don't download illegaly.

And on the contrary, it is quite possible. If the ISP sees that your connection is being absolutely raped day in and day out, what could you possibly be doing other than downloading files. They can either get a warrant to search your computer. Or, they could look at the log (which everyone will have, unless you use a proxy or some other **** like that) to look at where you've accessed recently. So not only that, if it's peer to peer, they could see who you're downloading it from aswell.

you could be doing any number of things... there are such things as legal downloads. what about people with their own sites or servers? they're possibly gonna be using a lot of bandwidth as well. just because someone is using a lot doesn't mean they're illegally downloading stuff.

policing X-thousand/million people's computers if they're suspected of illegally downloading things isn't really a viable plan, is it? what if they visit an illegal torrent site but don't download anything? would they get in trouble for looking?

why don't record and film companies look into making affordable music and films for us so we don't HAVE to download them? i don't know about other students, but i can't afford £17 every time i want to see a film i missed at the cinema or buy a new album which i might like.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Sure, cause the ISP's are gonna KICK OFF someone that is PAYING them to be online. I call bull****.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Rhys90
its the end of the internet
everyone i know has downloaded illegally at least 3 times
*hopes Government isn't watching*

thats everyone i know banned from the internet
6 people - gone!

What about if we make a big .torrent of EVERYTHING?
Then that'll only be one strike for everyone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by esther_mouse
you could be doing any number of things... there are such things as legal downloads. what about people with their own sites or servers? they're possibly gonna be using a lot of bandwidth as well. just because someone is using a lot doesn't mean they're illegally downloading stuff.

policing X-thousand/million people's computers if they're suspected of illegally downloading things isn't really a viable plan, is it? what if they visit an illegal torrent site but don't download anything? would they get in trouble for looking?

why don't record and film companies look into making affordable music and films for us so we don't HAVE to download them? i don't know about other students, but i can't afford £17 every time i want to see a film i missed at the cinema or buy a new album which i might like.

+ a billion

particularly on the end bit
"ISPs are no more able to inspect and filter every single packet passing across their network than the Post Office is able to open every envelope," the association said."

The article said it itself: they can't do shit. All ISPs can do is monitor excessive bandwidth usage, but that still doesn't guarentee that illegal files are being transfered.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Feb 12, 2008,
My ISP phoned me a few weeks ago and told me to cut down, as I was using something like 1.7% of their "bandwidth" or something which was for 750,000 people. No idea how much of exactly what it was I was using (he was foreign, obviously) but I wouldn't have thought bandwidth is the correct name.
Quote by esther_mouse

I totally agree.

Also, ISPs would loose a lot of money if they banned every single one of their customers that download illegally.
Page 1 of 2