When playing lead, my pinky seems to go really high off the fretboard when I play with my other fingers.

I hear that this can majorly hurt my speed. How can I stop myself from doing this.

I can force myself to not do it at ridiculously low speeds like... 40 bpm eighth notes.

But when I get up to real speeds, It just goes flyin up there again.

Help?
Gibson Zoot Suit in Rainbow
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

Where are the ladies, man?
I saw John Petrucci doing this the other day on a youtube vid, so it really can't be THAT bad.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Play scales where your pinkie is used on every sweep. We all need to get over actions that we think are right, but are not right for the sound of a guitar. It is a case of re-training your brain until you are automatic. This may take time - but once you have it cracked you have it cracked for life.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Peter Hayes
We all need to get over actions that we think are right, but are not right for the sound of a guitar. It is a case of re-training your brain until you are automatic.

Indeed.

However, the only way to do this is to slowly and systematically do it. You say you can do it at 40 bpm. Good. Now make sure you can do it at 50 bpm, etc...

omarrodrigez: John Petrucci isn't exactly the role-model someone aspiring to have good technique should look up to.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Indeed.

However, the only way to do this is to slowly and systematically do it. You say you can do it at 40 bpm. Good. Now make sure you can do it at 50 bpm, etc...

omarrodrigez: John Petrucci isn't exactly the role-model someone aspiring to have good technique should look up to.

John Gets the Job done. what's with everyone ragging on his technique?
Quote by Manjinken
John Gets the Job done. what's with everyone ragging on his technique?

You shouldn't necessarily copy high end guitarists if they can get away with stuff like that. Most of them are at the point where they have such an easy time playing things that faulty technique isn't a huge concern. I never really watched him play that much, so I can hardly say if that is an isolated thing or something he does consistently.

I've seen a video of Steve Vai doing a vibrato and his thumb actually came off the back of the guitar neck, it still sounded fine. That doesn't mean you should tell people they don't need to put the thumb on the back of the neck, it just means that an extremely experienced virtuosic guitarist can make a slip up like that and not have it effect the sound.
Vai actually does his vibrato pretty much completely differently than what is expected. He lets go of the neck and moves his hand in a circular motion. I don't think that that is an example of a slip-up or poor technique at all, it's simply part of Vai's style. There's a fine line.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Vai actually does his vibrato pretty much completely differently than what is expected. He lets go of the neck and moves his hand in a circular motion. I don't think that that is an example of a slip-up or poor technique at all, it's simply part of Vai's style. There's a fine line.

Wait...I actually do that to...How am I supposed to do it??
start at those ridiculously slow speeds... and then start building speed slowly...

eventually, you'll be able to play like you want and do it fast
Quote by F1rst_T
Wait...I actually do that to...How am I supposed to do it??

Finger on string, bend string slightly left and right with the finger at a reasonable vibrato speed.
Yeah Vai kindof circles his finger on the fret when he's vibrato-ing, I always thought it looks awesome.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook