I dont know if these had been a topic before and i would appreciate if someone could help me customize my strat like tom morello's soul power...

I already know how to install killswitch button but my problem is how to custom my volume pot in to two? its like pick up selector with 2 volume knobs. what needs to rewire.

I hope im making sense here

Thanks in advace.
in his soul power guitar he keeps the volume pots the same but the switch is geared to kill the signal entirely rather than to switch between a silent pot and a loud pot
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
Quote by axis56
in his soul power guitar he keeps the volume pots the same but the switch is geared to kill the signal entirely rather than to switch between a silent pot and a loud pot

So it's not pick-up selector with 2 volume knobs? I watched his video on youtube and he said 2 volume knobs and the toggle switch... im confused
Umm if you're talking having a volume pot for each pickup (like on a les paul or sg) I wouldn't do that, assuming you have your standard strat, three pickups, that would require three volume pots.
There's an "ultimate killswitch" thread round here somewhere, read up.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Umm if you're talking having a volume pot for each pickup (like on a les paul or sg) I wouldn't do that, assuming you have your standard strat, three pickups, that would require three volume pots.
There's an "ultimate killswitch" thread round here somewhere, read up.

yup like the les paul style... but i dont know how to rewire my strat knobs. im also upgrading my bridge and middle pickups before i install the toggle switch and i saw the installation on this site too.
which tom morello guitar are you talking about? Arm the Homeless or Soul Power?
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
which tom morello guitar are you talking about? Arm the Homeless or Soul Power?

the soul power where he rewired his strat putting 2 separate volume knob on 2 pickups and installing pickup selector toggle switch...
this doesnt have to do with electronics, but he also uses a kramer neck on that if you really want to go all out
He uses an Original Edge Trem and a Kramer type neck.

That's more all out.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by jj fad
the soul power where he rewired his strat putting 2 separate volume knob on 2 pickups and installing pickup selector toggle switch...

the soul power guitar doesnt have an extra volume control, the only electronics mods are the kill switch which completely kills the signal like mentioned above and the bridge pickup is some kind of single coil sized SD humbucker.

Quote by npaoun
this doesnt have to do with electronics, but he also uses a kramer neck on that if you really want to go all out

On his Arm the Homeless guitar he used the kramer neck. On the soul power strat it's the original neck, it's a MIJ Aerodyne Strat not sure of the year though. The pickguard was replaced as were the knobs and trem.
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
u need a volume pot for each pup then the wiring connects at the tone and the pup selector is used as a killswitch. u also need to put a EMG 81/85 set in.
for effects i know u need a 535q multi wah with a fasel inductor and a ibanez flanger on real slow
Quote by maverick_137
u need a volume pot for each pup then the wiring connects at the tone and the pup selector is used as a killswitch. u also need to put a EMG 81/85 set in.

no, thats Arm the Homeless, not Soul Power
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
can you not get a stacked pot with 2 in one? it would take up less room, unless thats not what you want.
^ It's about 10 to 30 times cheaper to get a SPST toggle switch, and wire it up as a killswitch.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
get one of these, then replace pick-ups and install toggle switch, then write soul power on it with tip ex, cheapest way to get a morrello looking strat only it doesn't have the body binding and floyd rose
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Toms soul power is completly stock. Except tom put a floyd rose knock off tremolo (ibanez edge) and he also installed a killswitch (just a normal toggle switch wired like a killswitch) which has nothing to do with the pickups it is wired to the volume pot and then the output jack, so it's like an on off switch. There is one volume knob and 2 tone knobs like any standard strat with three pickups.

His arm the homeless for these other people is completly customized, the only original thing is the body. He has installed a floyd rose, 2 emg pickups, (i think hz or h and an 81, not to sure) it has a banana headstock kramer neck, 1 25k volume for each pickup and 1 25k tone knob.

for those who are saying that he uses emg pickups and 1 volume pot for each pickup, that is his ATM guitar not soul power.

Im pretty sure thats everything
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Jul 5, 2008,
just adding tom also uses a seymour duncan single coil sized humbucker. But still has the standard strat wiring configuration!
Quote by jj fad
I dont know if these had been a topic before and i would appreciate if someone could help me customize my strat like tom morello's soul power...

I already know how to install killswitch button but my problem is how to custom my volume pot in to two? its like pick up selector with 2 volume knobs. what needs to rewire.

I hope im making sense here

Thanks in advace.

You can cut the wires on one of the pickups making it a dead one. You can now toggle between on and off. RATM rule!
Quote by guitarcam123
Toms soul power is completly stock. Except tom put a floyd rose knock off tremolo (ibanez edge) and he also installed a killswitch (just a normal toggle switch wired like a killswitch) which has nothing to do with the pickups it is wired to the volume pot and then the output jack, so it's like an on off switch. There is one volume knob and 2 tone knobs like any standard strat with three pickups.

His arm the homeless for these other people is completly customized, the only original thing is the body. He has installed a floyd rose, 2 emg pickups, (i think hz or h and an 81, not to sure) it has a banana headstock kramer neck, 1 25k volume for each pickup and 1 25k tone knob.

for those who are saying that he uses emg pickups and 1 volume pot for each pickup, that is his ATM guitar not soul power.

81/85
Contrary to popular belief, Tom uses single coils in the EMG enclosures.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
yeah there not 81/85 they are actually HAs which are the Single Coils SAs but in a humbucker housing
Quote by guitarcam123
no! wrong...
you have a killswitch:

I know thats how tom does it but if you don't want to have to do much modification my way is better
Quote by guitarcam123

I think he has two emg single-coils in humbucker housings.
Quote by jj fad
So it's not pick-up selector with 2 volume knobs? I watched his video on youtube and he said 2 volume knobs and the toggle switch... im confused

that would be the arm the homeless guitar
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by guitarcam123
yeah^ I stated that above: Post 25

soz, yh most people think he has emg 81 and an 85 like zak wylde or an h. I think with both guitar he has two volume and 1 tone like on a v or explorer. you can killswitch on any guitar that has two or more volume controls and pickups switching. You can also create a killswitch by quite simply fitting a switch with wires on one side only. Although I hv noticed that if you on-off to quicklyboth pickups go dead for a little while.
Thanks 4 reading, if u hv any questions or comments my email is rorytdwelsh@hotmail.com
well iv'e been looking around for a while but I cant find where i saw it. He said he uses SINGLE COILS emgs, And the only single coils in a humbucker housing are the HAs which is an SA in a humbucker housing

I think it was on the Tom Morello Project site
^no its frigen not!!!!!!!!
Soul Power has 3 pots: Vol, Tone, Tone.
Its is normal fender wiring with the acception for the killswitch, which is wired to the volume pot and then to the output jack.
Soul Power also does NOT have active pickups.

ON HIS SOUL POWER GUITAR THERE IS NOT A VOLUME FOR EACH PICKUP AND HE SURELY HASN'T CUT ONE OF THE WIRES, DISCONNECTING ONE OF THE PICKUPS. THERE IS 1 VOL!! AND 2 TONES

All good now
Just get it right!!
I will clear things up.
I'm member of a forum wich is completly dedicated to Tom, his music and of course his gear.
Facts for Soul Power:
-Ibanez Edge Locking Tremolo
This is a Floyd Rose knockoff that Tom loves for its imperfection and looseness.
-Toggle/kill Switch
Located on the lower horn of the guitar, this switch can turn the main signal of the guitar on and off to create a stuttering like sound
-Pickups
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails single coil size humbucker in the bridge position and two Fender Noiseless pickups in the neck and middle positions. Tom ALWAYS uses the neck pickup on this guitar.
-Neck
22 frets with a rosewood fret board and locking nut. The Headstock is painted black to match the body and has a silver Fender logo.
-Body
Flat top black body with white binding and white “Soul Power” writing. Also a mirror pickguard made from a shiny type of metal (chrome, aluminum).
-Sou Power is a Fender FSR (Factory Special Run) Stratocaster that Tom brought at Guitar Center

And for Arm The Homeless:
Original a Performance Strat (only original part is the body)
"Kramer" Banana Style Headstock
22 Frets
Ibanez Edge
2 Volume
1 Tone
EMG 81 in the bridge and H or HA in the neck
3-way Pickup selector at the lower horn

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
^ all of what he said, i just couldn't be bothered writing it out...
except the ATM: its not 81 in the bridge, its a HA or H.
And the neck is a custom peformance extra wide neck
Quote by guitarcam123
^ all of what he said, i just couldn't be bothered writing it out...
except the ATM: its not 81 in the bridge, its a HA or H.
And the neck is a custom peformance extra wide neck

No. it's most likely a 81. we've got a guy on the board who has a pretty close replica of Tom's Guitar. He has tried all the different combinations (85/81, 81/81, H/H, HA/HA, HA/81 and H/81) and the H/81 or HA/81 sounds the closest to Toms.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
cool fair enough... Is that Tyler Durden?
If your off the Tom morello Project website.. I'm also a member there and tyler seems to be the know all...
Quote by guitarcam123
cool fair enough... Is that Tyler Durden?
If your off the Tom morello Project website.. I'm also a member there and tyler seems to be the know all...

Yeah I mean the TMP forum. But the member I'm talkin about is Mike. Have you ever seen the guy? He even looks a bit like Tom.
Here are some links to some pics in his Myspace:

Before he changed the Neck:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=271011448&albumID=3603&imageID=8857000#a=3603&i=8857014

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=271011448&albumID=3603&imageID=8857014

And after at a live in Stockholm:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=271011448&albumID=824737&imageID=8856952

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2