I played guitar for six years when I was in middle and high schoool on a fender squire strat and squire 15 amp. I have taken a long five year break from playing and am now returning. The squire gear just doesn't cut it anymore. I would like to get a new guitar and amp setup for $500-$600 combined. Can I even get a decent setup for this price range? I play rock, classic rock, metal, punk, and i like a deep tone for blues. Bands to mention are Muse, NOFX, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, old Metallica. One problem I have been having lately is my meaty fret fingers accidently muting strings. So a wider neck might be nice. I won't be doing fretboard shredding lead but more of a technical rythm style. For the amp, I live in an apartment so loud isn't necessary. I know people will tell me to just goto the store but I would like to have a few things on the list to look at so I won't get lost in the vast sea of guitars and amps. Thanks for your input.
Well $600 isn't much in this field
For $300 you may be able to get a used Dean Cadillac or Epiphone Les Paul, those will have the beefy neck and deep tone you are looking for
Take the other $300 and invest in a 112 or 212 amp. Peavey makes some good ones with a wide array of tones and distortions. I used to have an Peavey 212 special that was tight but wieghed a ton! I'd still have it if it hadn't been stolen
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
an Epi SG has a fat neck

vox valvetronix as for the amp. along with:
Peavey Rage or
Roland Cube

i havent tryed the Peavey or roland amp, but from what i've heard (literally, and from reviews), they're good for the money.

although, i have played the epiphone SG and vox valvetronix as i own them o.0

some epiphone les pauls might have fat necks
or a fender fat strat (stratocaster with a fat neck), you'd probs have to go second hand with that

no personal opinion on either i'm afraid.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
What is the difference between a tube and solid state amp besides the obvious. Which makes more sense in my situation. Cost difference?
Quote by engineered044
What is the difference between a tube and solid state amp besides the obvious. Which makes more sense in my situation. Cost difference?

Well if your current equipment isn't cutting it a tube amp would definitely be a good idea, especially if you're willing to go used. A crappy guitar is going to sound better through a good amp than a good guitar will through a crap amp.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Main difference is tone. Cost difference can be huge. Given your budget you might consider a modeling amp like a Vox. Modeling amps try to emulate tube tones. Some of the Vox amps actually sound pretty cool. I have tried some and I had a lot of fun with them. I may pick one up in the future to have some fun with.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
A tube amp will almost always sound a lot better than solid state amps and are generally better at the classic rock sound as many players of that style just drove tube amps hard to make them overdrive. Also they are great for blues and with a booster/overdrive/distortion pedal you could get some more high gain stuff if you get a less gain amp. From what I have heard the peavey valveking is pretty versatile and can go up to metal sounds also they are fairly reasonably priced.
Quote by SG-Jack

some epiphone les pauls might have fat necks
or a fender fat strat (stratocaster with a fat neck), you'd probs have to go second hand with that.

Not at all! It's a strat with a 'humbucker at the bridge, and it's very, very versatile.
+1 To all the Epi -> Vox reccomendations.

Also Epi Valve Junior combo is worth a look if you picked up an OD pedal. Digitech Bad Monkey for example. Valve sexyness. But it isnt quite as versatile as the Vox.

Also for guitars... Squier '51, Squier affinity tele, Squier Jagmaster (Dont stray away from Squiers just because of your strat. ) used fender MIM strat, Ibanez RG321/RG120/RG2EX1, Schecter Omen 6, Dean EVO Noir, Ibanez Jet King and more...
So I bought my new rig. I sat down and played alot of guitars. Ibanez, schecter, laguna, and epiphones. I also played on three different amps, VOX, crate, line 6. I fell in love with the VOX AD30VT before I was even close to choosing a guitar. The other amps were nice but were nowhere near the vox when it came to sound. As for guitars I found an Ibanez to play the easiest for me, but the whole time I was playing it I couldn't stop thinking about the Epiphone sg400. So I bought it. What an amazing combination this is. Not to mention a tremendous upgrade from what I had before. Thanks for the input. Now it's practice practice practice. I'll post pictures If I can get the guitar out of my hands.