Ok so i borrowed a multimeter from the science department @ school and i wanna check something. My electric guitar is kinda old and whenever im not touchin a piece of metal with my hand or skin i get a kind of ssssss sound through the amp, i think its the pots but how do i check and what do i look for?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
That's normal (that's why you ground everything), except if it's especially loud, hissy, and annoying, then it's either bad quality pickups or the pots are picking up the noise (in this case, you just need to shield the guitar). Controls pick up more noise than pickups. Pups usually just get radio interference and some noise.

If the pots actually ARE scratchy, then just get some electrical contact cleaner (carbuerator cleaner works too) and spray a quick burst into the pot, give it a few quick turns, and blow it out with a can of compressed air (or an air hose). If that doesn't work, get new pots or live with it.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 12, 2008,
If you aren't touching anything metal and you hear a hiss, but when you touch something metal the hiss goes away, then you probably don't have your bridge properly grounded.
hmmm...and how do i fix that
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660