What kind of pedal do I need, what pedal do you recommend, and what am I looking to spend? :P

I basically want to be able to play chords with distortion without it sounding like an explosion, and I want to achieve tone like: listen to the solo, the whole of this and this, which may be other effects too. Thing is, though, I have a really crappy $200 Ibanez first guitar. Do you think that would make a major difference in my tone? Do you think I should wait on buying any sorts of pedals?

Also, when I got my Classic 30, what I had them do at Sam Ash was order me in a replacement one since I had to buy an in-store model for the sale and all they had was the floor model. I'm really glad I did this cause I think the tubes may actually need replacing :O any way that I can check the manufacturing date? All I see on the back is Mfg Loc 03 with lots of missing letters in-between. -- I've just noticed the serial number ends in 2007 10... Might I add... at one point I was playing and leaned it over towards me to look at the back and accidentally let it drop back down (into its normal sitting position), and it made a huge ass explosion-like sound, as if I had wind milled the open strings... you think maybe that knocked something out of whack?

Thanks guys
well for the styx one, it sounds like you could get that sound just by cranking the clean channel and adding a splash of reverb. If not, if you cranked the post and preamp gain on the dirty channel you'd prolly get pretty close. that was more overdrive than distortion... maybe a mid boost?

as for the paul gilbert one, your either gonna need to do the same as above and run a good overdrive pedal (or two) in front of the amp, or just get a good distortion pedal.
I had/have an AXL pedal that can get me some good High gain tones, and I've also heard an EHX metal Muff get good high gain tones with the amp.

for the solo in the last song, I'm going with the same advice as on #1

just be aware, the amp is really built for more of a blues/classic rock background. You can get some Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, and even AC/DC tones on the thing that are pure sex...

I don't think you should be having trouble with the the styx song. The only tone that would be borderline impossible to get with that amp and your hands alone would be the paul gilbert racer X tone. Thats just high gain shred, which is outside of the peavey's territory.

If you want that, your gonna have to deal with a (high-gain distortion pedal) and the tone will never be as good as on a high-gain amp, but you can get some pretty damn good sound out of it anyway, so dont fret too much.

after you get some tones out of it you like for low gain, and some you can work with for high gain (with a pedal) like I did, I think you'll love the amp. I know I do.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
1.) You should be able to get that Styx (shudder) solo tone very easily with the C30. Try a bit harder or visit the Settings thread, or the Classic 30 thread.

2.) If you wanted a Paul Gilbert tone, perhaps you shouldn't have got the Classic 30. It's not great for shred..

3.) The Queen tone...It's hard to get with anything. Single coils and treble booster and using coins as picks would get you closer.

4.) The explosion sound was probably you moving the amp while the reverb was on, it happens.

So all in all, yes, a new guitar will help. But the Classic 30 doesn't really do br00talz..
hummbuckers and a tube screamer is the best way to get more out of it. The Styx tone is pretty easy, just crank the clean channel. The C30 will not do Br00talz without some type of distortion pedal. Its an awesome amp for blues, classic rock, even modren rock/hardrock and power pop, but is not a high gain amp and it dosen't sounds great doing mordern metal. But with hummbuckers and a tube sceamer hard rock tones come out of this amp with ease. IMO
I understand it's not a super-mega-shred machine, I knew that when buying it. Still, I had hoped that with a pedal I might get some crazy sounds out of it... either way, that's not my main style and the Tommy Shaw tone is what I was after (you shudder at that, Don Humpador? I shudder at your name, ooh sick burn)!

Wouldn't cranking the clean channel... kill me or something? seems like it would be ear-bleedingly loud on any high notes, but that's probably something wrong with my pickups if the high notes are louder and screechier, huh?

Well, what about wah or effects pedals? Seems like a wah would be super-fun...

BTW, I'm probably going to buy an Ibanez PGM for my next guitar, will that help make me more br00tles, you think? Certainly the better stock pick-ups will help (for all sorts of music, really, my guitar is teh shizzle that fizzles), and eventually I'll probably change those one day...

Just tried it cranked with noise canceling in-ear headphones and it doesn't get too ridiculously loud, with the volume on the guitar itself down. Problem is for my bridge pickup, my pot is broken and only works in like one place which is probably at least a 7. Gotta get that fixed. The blues tone is sweet on the clean channel.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
hummbuckers and a tube screamer is the best way to get more out of it. The Styx tone is pretty easy, just crank the clean channel. The C30 will not do Br00talz without some type of distortion pedal. Its an awesome amp for blues, classic rock, even modren rock/hardrock and power pop, but is not a high gain amp and it dosen't sounds great doing mordern metal. But with hummbuckers and a tube sceamer hard rock tones come out of this amp with ease. IMO

That's totally not true. I had the Preamp volume set a like 5 or 6 and an overdrive acting as a boost and I was busting out Metalliriffs like nobody's bidness.

I recommend getting an overdrive to boost the amplifier. Try the Fulltone OCD. If you end up not having enough gain, you could flip the thing to hard clip mode and unleash the motherfucking fury!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Habit Zero
Might I add... at one point I was playing and leaned it over towards me to look at the back and accidentally let it drop back down (into its normal sitting position), and it made a huge ass explosion-like sound, as if I had wind milled the open strings... you think maybe that knocked something out of whack?
Thanks guys

haha, reminds me of my old amp w/ spring reverb. apparently people used to push the amp over to get it to do that on stage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit Zero
Might I add... at one point I was playing and leaned it over towards me to look at the back and accidentally let it drop back down (into its normal sitting position), and it made a huge ass explosion-like sound, as if I had wind milled the open strings... you think maybe that knocked something out of whack?
Thanks guys

Same **** happened to me before, scared the hell out of me.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I can get pretty good shred tones with my C30 when I set the pregain on max and boost it with an OD pedal. Too bad I can't shred
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's totally not true. I had the Preamp volume set a like 5 or 6 and an overdrive acting as a boost and I was busting out Metalliriffs like nobody's bidness.

I recommend getting an overdrive to boost the amplifier. Try the Fulltone OCD. If you end up not having enough gain, you could flip the thing to hard clip mode and unleash the motherfucking fury!

+1 to the OCD.
Quote by patalp
I can get pretty good shred tones with my C30 when I set the pregain on max and boost it with an OD pedal. Too bad I can't shred

I will admit, I lolled.

So you guys think maybe I should buy/try an OD pedal? I'll be in Sam Ash soon getting the replacement C30, so I can probably try some pedals on it.
Quote by Habit Zero
I will admit, I lolled.

So you guys think maybe I should buy/try an OD pedal? I'll be in Sam Ash soon getting the replacement C30, so I can probably try some pedals on it.

Yeah, try some pedals with the new amp and see if you like the tone you get. Most likely you will want to keep the gain low and crank the level on the pedal and adjust tone knob to taste. I can get some pretty good earlymetal/modern tones. Just not extra heavy br00talz.

All I was saying is that the C30 is not really meant for modern metal, even with an OD and the drive pre and post gain maxed your not going to get into any thing super hardcore, thats why peavey makes the 6505. The C30 is more of a Blues-rock amp, hard rock, or classic metal at best without an OD. Can you get modern metal tones out of it?... yes you can but its going to sound as good as all the amps made for modern high gain. I agree with a nice boost it can get pretty hard not even close to what I concider br00talz, IMO.
rofl the explosion thing sounds so funny, its just so funny.

one time they were trying to clean the place where my peavey classic 30 was, i was practicing, and then like they tried to move it and omg! it felt like the house was coming down lol, then i discovered it was the reverb.
Quote by Habit Zero

Yup. I can get basically any tone I want out of my C30 with just an OD pedal. BB preamp or a Fulltone OCD, or even just a plain ol' tubescreamer will do the trick.

On top of that, if you really want to get versatile look into an MXR 10 band EQ it'll do wonders for the C30.
Nobody Listens to Me!

I have said OVER and OVER that with a bit of pre-amp gain and a good OD you can get heavier than the fat guy in Rob and Big. Ok listen
Throw an OCD or a GT-500, perhaps even a Fulldrive or in my case the Arteffects Zenith. There is also the Visual Sound Double Trouble. Just freaking TRY Some of these pedals and crank the gain.

It's GOT MORE GAIN THAN YOU NEED with an OD