Page 1 of 3
I had a friend who used to be really into metal but then he stopped playing guitar as much and he ended up disliking guitar solos. He went so far as to say they shouldnt be in songs. I think a balance is always important. You can't shred all the time it makes it tasteless. It's like pouring too much salt on your dinner, or not enough chips for your salsa. No shred or too much shred *cough*yngwie*cough* can be bad. But if it fits it fits, I still like neoclassical shred masters just sometimes I like simpler rock. What do you guys think. TO SHred or Not to Shred?
. . . you know you get those douchebags who say "random" about everything? "Hey this place has random stuff" *enter bookstore* that sorta thing?
The word shred is the guitarists "random", spewed over EVERYTHING like it's salad cream.
Shred is technically a genre of music, music where there is a technically profficient guitarist making instrumental music, usually with difficult solos added.
However it also apparently means, doing nothing but playing fast shizz, oh wait it's also a social status, what the hell is it?

And for the record Yngwie doesn't "constantly shred" he's neoclassical. You need to check out some regular ol' classical, did Bach constantly shred!?!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
. . . you know you get those douchebags who say "random" about everything? "Hey this place has random stuff" *enter bookstore* that sorta thing?
The word shred is the guitarists "random", spewed over EVERYTHING like it's salad cream.
Shred is technically a genre of music, music where there is a technically profficient guitarist making instrumental music, usually with difficult solos added.
However it also apparently means, doing nothing but playing fast shizz, oh wait it's also a social status, what the hell is it?

And for the record Yngwie doesn't "constantly shred" he's neoclassical. You need to check out some regular ol' classical, did Bach constantly shred!?!

Bach isn't Neo-classical, as a matter of fact he isnt even classical, Bach was part of the baroque era of music.
Shredding can be the icing on the cake for a good song. However, if all you do is shred, like Dragonforce, then it becomes tasteless and boring. It's all about finding the balance. Slash and Kirk Hammett, 2 of my favorites, do a really good job of balancing shredding and souldful soloing.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
Bach isn't Neo-classical, as a matter of fact he isnt even classical, Bach was part of the baroque era of music.

I never said he's neo-classical, and touché on that one
Either way he composed music that was technically profficient, which seems to be the posh way of saying shred nowadays, cos kids these days think theory is only good if you want to be a robotic shredder.
Kids eh?
Know how to shred so when you need to, you can. But just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. Work a balance.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Not a fan of randomly fast guitar soos in songs. I personally believe the lyrics should show all emotion, and instruments are there to back the vocals.
i say...too shred, if you can make it sound good why the hell not
Sig space available, give me some praise
Shreding is sweet. Hey you should make a poll
"To shred" YES NO
"Not to shred" YES NO
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
i say to shred i love instrumental by steve vai and john satriani but yngwie i cannot stand he cant share stages and ruins songs
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Never heard it called salad cream, it's salad dressing over here.
Learn something new every day.
I agree with your friend. i used to be able to shred really well. Then for some reason I just started hating it. I guess it just wasn't my style. Then I found artist like andy mckee, john butler, justin king, don ross, and a bunch of others, and I really like that style. thats all I play now.
Without naming any names, I believe that there's certainly a point where shredding just becomes tasteless noise. I can thoroughly appreciate the technicality involved, but I'd be hard-pressed to find any real musical value.

I can also appreciate the musical value of a thought-out rhythm or melodic lead line, even though it may not be "technical" by most people's standards.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by slashrules!!!
shred is crap

You are a retard. There is nothing wrong with having superior technical ability and showing it off a little bit. (I agree the yngwie thing, but he's still cool) Why do you think Paganini and Mozart and such were respected? Because they were virtuosos (Shredders). Please think before you type something like that, it only makes me assume that you started guitar yesterday and are still amazed with power chords. (No offence power chords.)
Quote by noodlegts
Shredding can be the icing on the cake for a good song. However, if all you do is shred, like Dragonforce, then it becomes tasteless and boring. It's all about finding the balance. Slash and Kirk Hammett, 2 of my favorites, do a really good job of balancing shredding and souldful soloing.

Lool, Slash and Kirk don't shred :|
Quote by Zero_Mike
Know how to shred so when you need to, you can. But just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. Work a balance.

i agree with zero i know how to shred and i like to play blues,i know hoe to so when people say "play dragonforce"i can it really is a skill you need to be a muscian now with all these power/speed metal bands.
Quote by OneRust

Yeah Salad cream, love the stuff

And shred not being musical is something created by people who don't actually know much "shred" now dragonforce, if they're classed as anything are pretty much just noice and fast guitar playing, but shred such as Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, they all have extensive knowledge of theory, so it's going to be musical, it doesn't matter how many notes you play, it's WHAT notes you play.
Quote by rancidryan
kirk does

No, Kirk Hammett plays metal with solos. Not shredding

Paul gilbert shreds.
Youtube "Paul Gilbert Scarified" and "Paul gilbert curse of castle dragon" that's shred there.
Quote by SEALSniper1152

so's yngwie
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by noodlegts

since when are the 2 mutually exclusive?

I can give you an example of fast 'soulful' shredding and of slow mellow shred.

Quote by DrNick
Without naming any names, I believe that there's certainly a point where shredding just becomes tasteless noise. I can thoroughly appreciate the technicality involved, but I'd be hard-pressed to find any real musical value.

that point is the point where something stops being 'shred' and starts becoming 'wankage'.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
listen to MAB no boundaries then listen to dream on. shred cant be uber fast(no boundaries) or emotive(dream on)

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by OneRust

lmao right.

I think shredding sounds good sometimes, but I'm with a lot of people on this. If it fits the style of the song, and you are actually good at it and know what you're doing, then it should be added, but if it doesn't fit the song then obviously you shouldn't do it. I love shredding, but there are times when it gets kind of annoying.
I don't see the debate here...
This (like so many "arguments" on this site) is opinion based. Shredding is great if you like it or is crap is you don't like it. Personally I love it, I do it al the time. As soon as I get home from work, I'm gonna shred for a solid 2 hour just for the sake of shredding!
For those of you that don't like shredding that is absolutely wonderful, I'll come down and rock out to some non-shredding with ya anytime. There is no argument that wil ever make either of these inferior because they both are great.

And for the record:
Yngwie is baroque as is Bach
And Kirk Hammet shreds his ass of! Master of Puppets! QED!
You can't possibly debate this.

It's all opinion based.

EDIT: Guy above me pretty much summed it up
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yngwie's from the baroque period?!
. . .it explains the time machine in his studio but. . .why's he so fat?

well obviously he's not from the period but he is composer in the baroque style
Quote by ValoRhoads
And for the record:

Actually wouldn't Yngwie just have a Baroque style?
And Kirk Hammet SOLOS his ass off. Yes.
Quote by ValoRhoads

And for the record:

No. Yngwie writes music that is influenced by Baroque and Classical music, but it's not Baroque in style, not even close.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Actually wouldn't Yngwie just have a Baroque style?
And Kirk Hammet SOLOS his ass off. Yes.

you don't know what shredding is do you?

Shred guitar or shred refers to lead electric guitar playing that relies heavily on fast passages; the act of playing fast passages on an electric guitar is termed ‘shredding’. It is not a musical definition but a fairly subjective cultural term used by guitarists and enthusiasts of guitar music. It is usually used with reference to rock and metal guitar playing, more so due to various other associated techniques (such as whammy bar ‘dive-bombs’ and tapping); however, it is sometimes used with reference to playing outside this idiom, particularly country, jazz fusion and blues.

Some people mistakenly use it to mean instrumentals, that is not what shredding is. An instrumental, is just called an instrumental.
You're on about something we like to call "soloing"

There are too many uses for the word "shredding" to define anythign some people refer to soloing as shredding some people refer to playing an Ibanez through a high gain amp as shredding even if they're playing clean, some people refer to things like Racer X and Dream Theater as shredders etc etc.

I tend to avoid using the word to be honest.
Quote by ValoRhoads
you don't know what shredding is do you?

Shred guitar or shred refers to lead electric guitar playing that relies heavily on fast passages; the act of playing fast passages on an electric guitar is termed ‘shredding’. It is not a musical definition but a fairly subjective cultural term used by guitarists and enthusiasts of guitar music. It is usually used with reference to rock and metal guitar playing, more so due to various other associated techniques (such as whammy bar ‘dive-bombs’ and tapping); however, it is sometimes used with reference to playing outside this idiom, particularly country, jazz fusion and blues.

Some people mistakenly use it to mean instrumentals, that is not what shredding is. An instrumental, is just called an instrumental.

I think you'll find that most shredders consider it to be playing with a level of mastery on the guitar (or any instrument for that matter) which removes physical boundaries of expression allowing the player to put exactly what is in their heads into their songs.

IMO it's the most pure form of expression as it isn't limited by what the players hands are capable of. Kirk hammett does NOT have the level of mastery required to be considered 'shred'.

If you use 'shred' to mean fast playing then maybe he could be included but that's like using 'somebody robbed my phone' to explain that you've been pickpocketed, the common people will understand that phrase but it's an incorrect use of the term.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I think the best music (at least my opinion of it) has to be expressive and since different people express themselves in different ways, some people will use "shredding" to do it, so I definitely think it has it's place.

Even having said that though, some people just like to shred for fun, which is fine as well. There's no need for people to slate it so much. It is clear though, when people are just shredding to show off, and in those cases I find it very annoying.
what i put in there is the wikipedia deffinition of shredding and the only one I've ever known, extremely fast playing with advanced techniques

that's what it is
don't convolute it
Quote by ValoRhoads
what i put in there is the wikipedia deffinition of shredding and the only one I've ever known, extremely fast playing with advanced techniques

that's what it is
don't convolute it

wikipedia is far from the be all and end all of definitions.

most people would consider robbing to be accurate in that example I provided but it isn't.

Quote by element4433
so what is your deffinition of shred?
Page 1 of 3