what are your guys opinions?
how many of you do it?
how many of you think its bad for you in the long run?(for playing guitar that is)

i dunno but all i know is that sometimes my fingers get all stuff but if i give them a good pull its like a whole new hand again
I do it, sometimes. When i got to play in front of people i do it. But that's one of the only times. Not good in the long run though.
If it hurts at all, even a little bit, then it's harmful and you should stop. If it doesn't cause any pain whatsoever, it's gases building up in the fluids between the joints that collect in a big bubble. The cracking sound is just that bubble popping.
Quote by ketiov
If it hurts at all, even a little bit, then it's harmful and you should stop. If it doesn't cause any pain whatsoever, it's gases building up in the fluids between the joints that collect in a big bubble. The cracking sound is just that bubble popping.

That's what I tell people!! Your'e the only other person I've ever known to say it too. We rule
if i dont do it it hurts when i crack them my finger feel free-er i do it sub concsiusly (i cant spell)
I practically do it all the time. Maybe it has more a psychological effect than a physical one, but who cares? It´s cool!
i tried to quit for a while and my fingers started to get stiff and lost freedom, felt like trying to play while my hands were really cold. i crack mine all the time without even thinking about it, it doesn't hurt a bit but its something i always felt may be harmful.. who knows.
Gear nut
I do it all the time. Considering stopping it, cause I hear it's bad for you, but it doesn't feel painful to me... moar like that "nice" pain you get from chilli and mouthwash, a kinda release sorta pain, you know?
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
I used to hear it was bad for you, now I hear that it being bad for you is a myth...

I don't think it's bad for you, or at least bad enough that you need to worry about it much. I crack mine all the time, and can crack them at will. I can crack the fingers on my left hand just by flexing them.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i crack my knuckles all the time, and when i dont they get stiff and i cant move them much.
Cracking your knuckles habitually has been seen in studies to cause soft tissue damage around the joints and weaken gripping strength. It is pretty minor damage, so if your hands do start to become really stiff if you don't do it, you probably should. If that isn't the case, I would avoid it. It is minor damage, but it is damage all the same.
Quote by Matheau
Cracking your knuckles habitually has been seen in studies to cause soft tissue damage around the joints and weaken gripping strength. It is pretty minor damage, so if your hands do start to become really stiff if you don't do it, you probably should. If that isn't the case, I would avoid it. It is minor damage, but it is damage all the same.

Let's not forget that studies aren't accurate most of the time. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if next year there was a study that said it helps your fingers.
I crack my fingers all the time. I hear it's bad, but it feels good when I do it. I'd rather have fingers that feel more free rather then them being stiff all the time.
I must say, I concur with Sevenfoldizm on his post right there. But at the same time, I try to avoid cracking my knuckles as much as possible. If I'm on a tight schedule to play in front of my mates I'll crack my knuckles and notice that it helps, but if I'm just casually playing on my own I'll use warm-up techniques to unstiffen (not even a word. couldn't think of anything else) my fingers. I don't crack my knuckles by pulling my fingers, though, because frankly it hurts and they don't even click. I get a click and a free finger feeling by bending my fingers back towards the back of my hand. I'm strange, deal with it :P
i crack my knuckles multipleee times a day, and it feels wonderfull after a long period time of not doing it

sometimes my right finger in the middle hurts but most of the time it feels good
I only do it when my hands feel stiff. When I was really young my parents told me that it would cause artheritis (who knows if that is true) so now I hardly do it. Just the way I was raised.
i crack my index and middle fingers by punching my other palm, followed by pulling them outwards. it used to hurt a little but now it doesn't... so yeah. i don't do it to play guitar though, it's just fun!
Too many people own guitars. Someone had better go play a... clarinet or something.

:stickpoke

That means you.

Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i once sneezed and a mushed up chip flew out my nose
needless to say i immediatly ate it
its NOT bad for your, trust me ive seen doctors about it. Like someone said, its gases building up. if you dont release them, your hand will stiffen.

of course if its painful, you should probably stop. but for most people its not.
I've cracked my knuckles for over 25 years. Feels good, loosens fingers, blah, blah, blah. One thing I've noticed over the years is that my knuckles have gotten fatter. Not sure if it is related to cracking them or not, but now that I've taken up guitar playing I am having a hell of a time with barre chords.
Quote by Mark-O1987666
That's what I tell people!! Your'e the only other person I've ever known to say it too. We rule

me too!
I do it ALL the time!

I've NEVER heard an expert saying that it is dangerous or anything, I've only read it in crappy newspapers...
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
I do it all the time too.. if I don't do it for a day or so my joints really start to hurt
I even crack my thumb by folding my fingers over it and squeezing my hand. I don't pull my fingers though, that hurts a bit sometimes, but I fold my hands as if I were praying and then I push my palms outwards and away from my body while stretching my arms.

When I get out of bed and stand up my feet crack too.. and I can also crack my elbows, shoulders, toes and knees
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by æTonyæ
jeez i hope this isn't an unhealthy habit...b/c not only do i crack my knuckles alot i crack my neck, back, and toes O.o

Yeah, I used to crack my lower back for many years. I would twist to the left and right while sitting and it would crack at the bottom of the spine. Now my two bottom discs (L4 and L5) are totally screwed up and I need surgery. I've been putting it off by taking ibuprofen daily. I've had cortisone injections (epidural) over the years (done by sticking a tube into your back and injecting dye while a live x-ray image helps locate where the medication will go). Long term use of cortisone is not good for you so I stopped after my 6th injection.
I also crack my neck when it gets really stiff. I've really cut back on that since having problems with my back.

I'm not saying stop it all together...just keep these stories in the back of your mind and crack less.