Last night I put together an Attenuator from a Radio Shack Wall Volume control and a speaker cable, and I have to say I'm impressed with the results. I'm using it on my EVJ and I can crank the amp but limit the volume down to a whisper.

I got the information on this at the follow thread
http://vj.minuteboard.com/m/b/f/showtopic.html?topicid=631&nr=72

Definitly something to try out if you really want to use your 5 watt tube amp at bedroom levels and still get the natural tube overdrive.
A detailed set of instructions for this would make a fantastic article (if you have the time). I think this would be very widely appreciated on UG, as most of us cant afford a "real" attenuator for our valve amps.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
also how to do you accommodate the transformer's impedance?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104029&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wall+volume&kw=wall+volume&parentPage=search

Thats a link to the Wall Volume Control, I think the one I got is a tiny bit different but this is the one they suggested you use. The impedance is 8 ohms, so when you've got the volume limited the volume control gives you 8 ohms and the cab I use is 16 ohms, so when you let the volume rise it can actually rise to 16 ohms.

However since you want your amp to be quieter you can use the 8 ohm setting on the amp.

All I had to do is get the volume control, and then take a speaker cable (as in the kind you would normally use from the head to the cab). I cut the cable in half, and then connected the halves to the Volume control.

So basically all I had to do was insert the volume control into the middle of my speaker cable I was currently using.
Well using that with a 5 watt amp might be fine. No way I use that with a 100W head.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Wow, I just looked at how you did this. I don't think I would do it the same way. The end result would be the same, but I would go into the cab, grab the speaker leads from the input jack and hook the attenuator at that point. I still wouldn't do it with my head and cab, but for lower wattage applications it could work.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I don't know about 40watt, but if your really cranking it and you want to have alot of difference in the output level you might need to spend more on the volume control and then your getting closer to the price range of a regular attenuator.

Personally I only own a EVJ so I don't want to give the impression that this is for everyone.

Zoomzilla, yeah I guess you could go about it that way too, and that might actually be a cleaner way to do it (you'd just have to have a volume knob visible on the back of the cab). But really I didn't want to get into actually moding any part of my gear so this solution seemed much safer, to me. I figured this way if I didn't like it I didn't loose anything but a speaker cable, and even then I kept one side long so that if I want to later I can solder the tip on and just have a slightly shorter cable.