Hello everyone. I'm having a cabnit built for me soon (a vertical 2x12"), and I'm starting to think about speakers. I'm planning on buying from warehousespeakers.com, and I think I need a little help choosing which of their celestian clones (Classic Lead/Greenback/V30) I'd want in my cab.

I tend to like midsy and trebbly mid-gain tones, with a fairly loose breakup and lots of dynamics. Past that, I really just want a flexable setup. I tend to cycle through amps and guitars, and cycle through styles too. So, any ideas?

PS: if you have no experience with warehouse speakers, opinoins on the three Celestians they're cloned from work just as well for me. Thanks!
I don't know about the warehouse speakers, so I can only comment on what they are trying to sound like. I don't know about the classic lead, have not heard them, but I would put greenback then V30. Either one would sound fine, but I like the greenbacks better. However, keep in mind the acutal greenbacks are only 25W, so a 2X12 would be a 50W cabinet. What amp will you be using? If it's more than 50W, you would want a higher wattage speaker.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I don't know about the warehouse speakers, so I can only comment on what they are trying to sound like. I don't know about the classic lead, have not heard them, but I would put greenback then V30. Either one would sound fine, but I like the greenbacks better. However, keep in mind the acutal greenbacks are only 25W, so a 2X12 would be a 50W cabinet. What amp will you be using? If it's more than 50W, you would want a higher wattage speaker.

For now, I'd be using it with 5 and 15 watt combos. Like, I said, I trade amps around a lot, so who knows what I'll have later on. I don't necessarily plan on buying a 100 watt head, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.
(celestion) v30s sound pretty modern... that's about all i've got...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Greenbacks are mean. I have a 4X12 with Greenbacks that I use with my Mesa.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I like the greenbacks better. However, keep in mind the acutal greenbacks are only 25W, so a 2X12 would be a 50W cabinet.

^ Pretty much what I was gonna say.

The Greenbacks are much "warmer" than the V30's, and should really contribute to the flavor of your 5W and 15W amps a lot better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Alright, so I'm leaning towards the greenbacks at the moment. One thing to mention: the cab I'm having built is a 2x12" with a slanted upper speaker like the one at the bottom of the page here: http://www.gabtone.com/cabinets.htm. Any reason or taste in mixing a Classic lead on the bottom and a greenback on top, or the like?
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Feb 12, 2008,
Depends on what kind of sound you're after. I don't have any real first hand experience with the Classic Leads, so I really can't say anything about those. I could see the V30 maybe having a tigher bass response, and sounding pretty cool on the bottom with the Greenback up top. The other advantage of having two different speakers is the ability to mic one or the other depending on what sound you want at the time (particularly useful for recording).

edit: your link doesn't work

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Don't know much about the other two, but the Green Beret (Greenback clone), is pretty awesome sounding in my Blues Junior. It has a relatively chimey high end break up, nice crunchy mids, and a nice, tight bottom end. Its very "warm". It does classic rock tones just perfectly, but don't expect anything like 80's metal out of this speaker. Not much coming from the bass side of the equation. Then again... i am playing through a blues junior.

Great speaker though. And at $45... its a steal.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Fixed the link. Thanks, Slats.

So if I put a 25 watt Greenback clone witha 60 watt V30 clone, I get...42.5 watts of power handeling?

Anyone with Classic Lead experience? Or even and idea of what it's "supposed" to sound like?
I think mixing speakers in a 2X12 does not make sense. I would stick with one type. I don't think you will get the separation and tonal mix that you think you will get with 2 different speakers. Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't do it.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by the.spine.surfs
So if I put a 25 watt Greenback clone witha 60 watt V30 clone, I get...42.5 watts of power handeling?

No, you'd still have a 50W cab. The 25W Greenback would be your limiting factor. With the load split evenly across the two speakers you could only go up to 50W before you were in danger of blowing the lower rated speaker. The V30 (in this case) would be powered at less than 50% of it's capacity.

Conversely, a cab with a pair of V30's, or a V30 and a Lead, would be 120W, while a pair of Leads would be 160W.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
No, you'd still have a 50W cab. The 25W Greenback would be your limiting factor. With the load split evenly across the two speakers you could only go up to 50W before you were in danger of blowing the lower rated speaker. The V30 (in this case) would be powered at less than 50% of it's capacity.

Conversely, a cab with a pair of V30's, or a V30 and a Lead, would be 120W, while a pair of Leads would be 160W.

Oh, thanks then. I was once told that with mixed speakers, you add the power handeling, and divide by the number of speakers. I think I'll do a V30/Lead and a Greenback, then.

And zoomzilla, I'm really interested in different speakers for the sake of miked recording than stage tone.