i bought a blues junior a few months ago but now want to sell it and purchase a fender 65 deluxe tube. is it worth it?? i play classic rock/ a lot of hendrix.. or is there a marshall equivelent of the 65 deluxe that is around the same price..
Last edited by Russian1 at Feb 12, 2008,
tube marshalls are really expensive. It's gonna run you over $1500 to get a combo. You might be able to push it down a bit further going used, but it's unlikely.

for hendrix, zeppelin, and other classic rock, I find my classic 30 does wonders, and if you need more volume, the 50-watt model is great too (but 30 tube watts can get loud, you your gonna wanna crank the thing, the natural power tube overdrive is just sexy on the thing)

I recommend looking for one used. I found one in good condition for $350, and its a sweet amp. It can also get some good hard rock and blues tones, and with a good distortion pedal, metal tones are acceptable at the least. I really recommend it. the cleans are better than a marshalls anyway

edit: heres the thing new, older models look different, but features are identical

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
im looking for about 30 watt, but i want to use the amps that some of these classic rockers used which r fenders or marshalls.
lol fenders and marshalls are great, but the prices are a LOT higher, and you'd be surprised at the great sound other amps can get you (in most cases, identical to what the fender or marshall would get you, or really damn close).

fender tube amps are a LOT cheaper than marshall ones. theres this one thats going for $1100 on musiciansfreind http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-DSL401-Combo-Amp?sku=483125

but I implore you to at least consider other amp brands first. a big name doesnt mean its the best option available to you.

either way, I think your looking more into the marshall-ish end of the spectrum if your stuck with fender/marshall. Fenders are renounded for their clean tone, not their overdrive (although the power tube overdrive is pretty damn great on most amps...)
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
How much money do you have? 'Cause if you have around $1400 you could get an Orange Rocker 30, which capture the essence of some of the best Marshalls and add some serious balls on top of that. The 65 Deluxe is essentially a clean amp, isn't it? Although at 22W if you're gigging you're not getting much clean headroom.

The Classic 30 is also another good option.
I think that a peavey classic 30 would be a good choice as it is a quite classic rock voiced. Also new fenders and marshalls will not sound like amps from the 70s just because they are made by the same brand as they have both made changes to their designs over the years. A reissue of an older amp such as a jtm45, fender bassman, marshall bluesbreaker, 1987x would be a good choice. From what I have heard from soundclips blackheart amps are quite good for rock and are cheap.
well hendrix recorded his early album with a twin fender and he got great distortion. i use a roger mayer axis pedal and tube screamer so OD isnt an issue for me
Quote by Russian1
well hendrix recorded his early album with a twin fender and he got great distortion. i use a roger mayer axis pedal and tube screamer so OD isnt an issue for me

I wasn't saying that he didn't get a good sound. what I was saying was that a modern fender will not sound like a newer fender as fenders design has changed since Hendrix used them. Also check out orange amps which sound like some of the older marshalls.