what are the different woods that guitars are made of eg. mahogany and what sort of sound do they produce eg. thick, weedy. Also what woods are good for what sort of music?

Cheers
2 Xmas's ago=Yamaha RGX 121Z

Last Xmas=ESP LTD EX50

Next Xmas=???
mahagony
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
mahagony

?

Anyway, you can have all sorts of wood, really;

Mahogany, Maple, Alder, Basswood (pronounced as the fishy kind of 'bass', not the low-sounding kind of 'bass') and many more.

Warmoth has a good list of available tonewoods, and their relative sound.

Last edited by Y00p at Feb 12, 2008,
Google produces a very useful tone, with many results

Search something like 'characteristics of tonewoods'
ohai little sig.
i was looking for more of a list of all of the woods, what sound they produce and what music they suit.
2 Xmas's ago=Yamaha RGX 121Z

Last Xmas=ESP LTD EX50

Next Xmas=???
Well, I know about alder being a strat owner and that's about it. It's usually bright sounding, and usually sustains very well.
Quote by liam123
i was looking for more of a list of all of the woods, what sound they produce and what music they suit.

If you need an even more specific link: here

It has all the tonewoods you can think of.

Also, IMO, tonewood won't have a lot of binding to a certain music genre. It's the combination of wood, pickup, player and amp that matters.
Any wood can be used for a guitar really (except really softwoods, avoid softwoods, however pine has been used to make guitars before) though some just sound displeasing.
The mains ones you will see are Alder, Ash, Mahogany, Basswood and maybe Korina. Maple you'll see a lot of but not as much for bodies.
For necks the most common are maple or mahogany, fretboard, rosewood maple and ebony though other woods can be used.
You probably won't need to know more than alder, ash, poplar = bright, basswood = middle, mahogany, korina - dark.
There aren't too many wood being used on the market really =/