what do you guys think of that gibson robot
i personally dont think its necessary
its definetly coolbut im sure it costs a fortune
opinions?
sucks
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
lol, you got your ears and if you are beginner, then your tuner, that is a crap thing...
Youll loose you ear using it over time
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Take the tuning machine off and it's still just a ****ty Gibson.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Give me a break people. You can have an ear, but you can't tune it in the time it takes for it to tune AND intonate itself along with setting the action. that is freakin' cool. However, it seems ro be rather unreliable. When you say you'll loose your ear and that and its for little kids, you're being a troll. The key of it is it does what it does in seconds on its own.
I'm just surprised that it supposedly sold out immediately.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Well, it must be fun seeing Your guitar as it tunes itself, but I can live without that.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
will probably break easily also and when it breaks it'll be mad expensive to repair.
It's cool but I would never own one. The technology has been around for a long time, I wonder if this is the first self tuning guitar...
I would LOVE to have one, but for one reason, and one reason only-
I play a lot of slide in open tunings, and having a ton of guitars (One tuned in open E, one in open G, one in open A) sitting around on most stages is ridiculous, if not impossible, so I'm limited to just E for most shows.
Retuning from one open tuning to another beween songs is a huge pain in the ass, and it sucks up time you should be playing, not tuning.

Plus, I have enough crap to carry.
3 guitars for slide, plus my main, and another as a backup?
Screw THAT.

If they ever become more affordable, I'll get one, it'll make my life a lot easier.
I think it would be a killer guitar for gigs and band practice... Haven't heard one yet, but the principle sounds like it would be really useful on stage, and it looks pretty gnarly in my opinion.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Rev. V!
[words]
Here people, is a man who knows his ****.

The Robot guitar isn't meant for the majority of people on here, nor the majority of people who play guitar at all; it is not intended for new players, or for 'bedroom heroes'. It is not meant even just for garage bands.

The point of the Robot Guitar is to make the likes of professionals easier. If you're playing a sold-out stadium in front of 70,000 people, you can't start ****ing around re-tuning by ear, or go and get a tuner and re-tune with that (not that you could re-tune by ear anyway in those conditions, unless you turned your amp up loud enough that the sound of you re-tuning drowned out the crowd... but then you'll be pissing off that crowd hugely). Even if you're quick at manually re-tuning (I can re-tune to standard E tuning by ear in about twelve seconds, I'm sure some people must be able to do it quicker), it's still time taken away from the show. This isn't so bad when you just have one string that went slightly out of tune, but when you have to re-tune every string (especially from one tuning into another), this would be unacceptable for an on-stage performer.
You also of course can't bugger off off-stage to dick around with it either.

That's where the Robot comes in. It can quickly and silently re-tune all the strings at once to whatever tuning you need, without having to inflict the sound on the crowd and with minimal dead air.

Then, there is the aforementioned problem of sheer space. Even the top bands have a limit to how much gear they can realistically have carted around for them, and in the middle of a set, it's easy for the wrong guitar to be picked up or a wrong setting to be used (I've seen it happen myself many times), and the more gear you have laying around, the more likely this is.

With the Robot though, at least you can minimise the amount of guitars that need to be carted around.

And incidentally, no, the Robot doesn't cost that much. Like most Gibsons, it's out of the price reach of beginners (so it's a mystery to me why so many people are claiming the Robot guitar will stop new players from learning how to tune - they couldn't afford it anyway!), but it's a reasonable price for any professional - it's roughly the same price as a Standard in most countries.

To me, the only real downsides of the Robot is that it's limited in it's options (it's currently only made with one neck profile, with one set of pickups and apparently it's quite hard to change the pickups on these Robot guitars - not to mention it only comes in the one, hideous finish), and that it's based on the Studio models - and it's already been checked out, the body and neck woods are as low-quality as the woods used in the regular Studio. So basically the extra cost (roughly double that of a regular Studio) is just for the Robot mechanics, which if I'm honest, does seem very steep. And extra couple of hundred I could understand, but the fact is that for the price of one Robot, you could buy two regular Studios that would be the same build quality, or better yet, you could just get a Standard which is much better quality.

So you get either
Standard (higher quality) : Robot (self-tuning and intonation help) : two Studios (quantity/backup/etc) : two, maybe even three, mid-range SGs (certainly a better option than just the regular Studios at least)
Quote by coheed.666
sucks

+1
Gear:

-Epiphone SG G400

-Roland Micro Cube
You also have to consider the standpoint of technological advancement. If nobody had tried to market solid body guitars in the early 50's, then it's possible that we wouldn't have solid body guitars today. If Gibson hadn't marketed humbuckers in the late 50's, then it's possible that we wouldn't have humbuckers today. A better example would be the tremolo, if it was never introduced on production models, then companies like Floyd Rose and Kahler wouldn't exist.

My argument is not so much for a guitar that tunes itself, but for what that technology will allow us to do in the future. I'd like to have a guitar that can use Midi program change numbers to go from D standard to C standard to drop C (etc.), but that will never happen unless things like the Gibson Robot can prove that the technology is marketable.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by RandyRhoads2
I'm saving my money for the Gibson Robot Mk. II Self Playing Guitar

doesnt yamaha have one like that called the ez ag? i think

i
out here it was cheaper then a standard so
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H