Page 1 of 2
kurdtkobain57
99 IQ
whoever closed the original "is grunge really dead" thread needs to back off. im continuing this bc i felt there was some great discussions on that thread. dont close this one please. if it offends u or disturbs u, find another thread!!!
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
If you don't agree with this forum, it's rules, people or specified genre, then find a new one.
kurdtkobain57
99 IQ
why does it bother u that this thread is in this forum. if it is an arguable situation just leave it alone. its not like im bringing up brad paisly in the metal forum.
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
*reported*

Christina, I'm trying my hardest not to flame, really, I am.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
PUNKfromNORWAY
Rockstar
501 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
I'm disagreeing.

Grunge is not punk. That is the point.

Thats right
kurdtkobain57
99 IQ
where are my supporters when i need them. u guys grow up a little bit. grunge evolved from punk and therefore is a style of punk music.

Grunge (sometimes referred to as the Seattle Sound) is a subgenre of alternative rock that was created in the mid-1980s by bands from the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area. Inspired by hardcore punk,

and thats straight from wikipedia so disagree now!
Last edited by kurdtkobain57 at Feb 12, 2008,
highway62
Banned
569 IQ
you're right grunge is not punk.

Its an offshoot of punk.

Just like rock is an offshoot of the blues and bluegrass is an offshoot of country.
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
If we were to talk about every style of music that is influenced by punk here, we'd be talking about pretty much every style of music and things would get very confusing.

You need to grow up a little bit. Admit that you don't always have to be right and go post about grunge in the Modern Rock forum to your heart's content.
highway62
Banned
569 IQ
Well i agree that nirvana should probally be in the modern rock cause it is relatively modern. But im saying if nirvana was around in the 70s/early 80s it would belong here.
mike2
967 IQ
ugh...just because kurt cobain was a pistols, stooges and black flag fan doesn't mean that grunge is an offshoot of punk, especially hardcore punk.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
Modern rock???? grunge is 10 years dead. how is that modern?

It's relative.
kurdtkobain57
99 IQ
u haven't heared mollys lips or sun of a gun have u. plz listen to them before u beg to differ.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
where are my supporters when i need them. u guys grow up a little bit. grunge evolved from punk and therefore is a style of punk music.

Grunge (sometimes referred to as the Seattle Sound) is a subgenre of alternative rock that was created in the mid-1980s by bands from the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area. Inspired by hardcore punk,

and thats straight from wikipedia so disagree now!

Thrash metal also evolved from punk. You don't see us making Metallica and Megadeth threads in here, do you?
Doolittle
:liplick:
844 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890
Thrash metal also evolved from punk. You don't see us making Metallica and Megadeth threads in here, do you?

And here I was just about to go make a thread about St. Anger..

axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
Modern rock???? grunge is 10 years dead. how is that modern?

Because it is more modern than punk. Punk started over 30 years ago.

This is the punk forum. You'll be hard pressed to find any punks who place grunge with punk. Sure, grunge has punk elements. Kurt Kobain listened to awesome bands like Flipper and Void, but he's still no punk. Punk elements have permeated most forms of music that came during and after punk.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
kurdtkobain57
99 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
u haven't heared mollys lips or sun of a gun have u. plz listen to them before u beg to differ.

read this quote carefully.
BostonLacrosse
HEY SUBURBIA!!
333 IQ
even if they had punk sounding songs it doesnt make them a punk band, just because Rancid dabbled in some ska doesnt make them a ska band...
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
well fine. u guys have proved ur point.

Use proper grammar, it will help you articulate your point a lot better and people will think you're a lot smarter.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
Grammar does mean ****. It really helps people have an easier time reading and understanding what you're trying to say. Are you telling me it doesn't make him look stupid? I'm not saying he is, but it sure makes him look it.
highway62
Banned
569 IQ
its not like he used 1337 5P3AK or anything.

I dont see a problem replacing "you're" with ur and "you" with u

I dont give a **** but thats just me, i try not to be an asshole.
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
Did I insult the kid? I don't think so, and I could have. I don't think I was being an asshole. Also it's just harder to read with those grammar mistakes and word replacing, it doesn't flow well.
highway62
Banned
569 IQ
i dunno maybe im just used to it because of the countless hours i used to waste playing WoW.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I think a grunge thread would be okay here, BUT... the people in modern rock are more knowledge able about this genre
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE
1,940 IQ
Quote by kurdtkobain57
whoever closed the original "is grunge really dead" thread needs to back off. im continuing this bc i felt there was some great discussions on that thread. dont close this one please. if it offends u or disturbs u, find another thread!!!

Oh come on, you didn't even know that grunge has to come out of Seattle.
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
^Well the emo thread did work, but that was a different situation. I don't think anybody here really has a lot of knowledge about grunge.
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE
1,940 IQ
Quote by StreetLight3989
^Well the emo thread did work, but that was a different situation. I don't think anybody here really has a lot of knowledge about grunge.

Exactly.

That's why there's a grunge thread in the modern rock forum.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Quote by StreetLight3989
Except for blackflag
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
^Yeah, I know that, but not enough people. A good number of people here know and enjoy emo. I'm not saying I don't enjoy grunge, it's just that it's generally not a genre listened to by a lot of the regulars.
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE
1,940 IQ
Quote by StreetLight3989
^Yeah, I know that, but not enough people. A good number of people here know and enjoy emo. I'm not saying I don't enjoy grunge, it's just that it's generally not a genre listened to by a lot of the regulars.

That's why this thread shouldn't be here then.
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
So it's settled. No more grunge in the punk forum.

We can all go back to makin' fun of poserz and drinkin' 40's.

Oi! Oi!
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
You know, if Grunge came from punk...then by his standards we can talk about Reggae...right?
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
^Yes, but we've settled that we can't talk about grunge. Reggae would be fine, because people here actually listen to it.