http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7205093.stm

For those disinclined to read...

Essentially shopkeepers of Carlisle are installing 'Mosquito' devices outside shops.

These emit a high-frequency noise that only teenagers can hear.

The idea being that this will move youths away from outside shops where they will cause trouble. Obviously.

Now personally I think this is a dreadful idea - it does not solve the problem of anti-social behaviour, it just moves it along away from one shop and onto another.

Furthermore, the frequency is not guaranteed to only be heard by youths - in a radio debate on the issue, many teens said they couldn't hear anything, while several adults phoned in saying they could hear it clearly.

Also, anti-social behaviour is a problem caused by a very small minority - so how is it fair to punish all youths with this annoying whistle every time they go near a shop at the expense of a minority of offenders?

This in my opinion sums up the 'out of sight, out of mind' philosophy many adults take on youth culture. Obviously of they aren;t hanging outside my shop window, there's no problem.

In reality all these do-gooders are doing is moving the problem along to someone else rather than addressing the root cause.

It reminded me of something raised in my History lecture the other week - in the 60s Black Americans experienced racism in the North, even though 'the liberal north' had been in favour of the abolition of slavery.

"Let Blacks have equal rights, but Goddamn it, don't let them move in next door to me" Seemed to be the notion of the day.

It seems the same is true here - people saying - "Yes, we should address the root causes of antisocial behaviour, and not just pass the buck along... but Goddamn it, I won't have any youths outside my shop"

So, Pit - who I imagine mainly fall into this 'youths' category- discuss.

Oh, and just for the record - I'm 16.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
i'd go to my govenor to complain but there is always the sound of misquitos...odd that i've never seen any though...
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
Saw this on the news like 5 mins ago haha. Lame idea though. Affects the innocent kids who don't vandalise
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
um, shop owners have the right to tell people they cant just stand around in front of their establishment. its called loitering, and at least here in the US there are often times signs posted that say "No Loitering."

i cant blame them honestly. if i owned a shop i wouldnt want a group of people just standing around in front of it for no reason. now if they are patrons of my establishment, thats fine, but if they are just standing around blocking the front of my shop, i dont want them there.

not to say that the mosquito thing is the proper solution, but i think the goal they are trying to achieve is perfectly fine.
lower the smoking age to 10 so all the chavs can smoke themselves to death before the age of 20, we shall feed their bodies to third world countries.
Thus, ending world overpopulation and starvation whilst lowering our crime and teenage pregnancy rates.
Problem solved
Quote by tymatt67
kinky = using a feather , perverted = using whole chicken.

Unfair targeting of the youth. I'm against it 100%. If they did this to get rid of old people or people of a certain race etc. there'd be uproar, but because it's teenagers nobody gives a ****.

If I were a yob or an ASBO kid i'd go and smash the things.
Quote by del monte
lower the smoking age to 10 so all the chavs can smoke themselves to death before the age of 20, we shall feed their bodies to third world countries.
Thus, ending world overpopulation and starvation whilst lowering our crime and teenage pregnancy rates.
Problem solved

Chavs smoke at 10 anyway.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
u can get a ringtone of that frequency so teachers cant hear it
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by del monte
Problem solved

NO!!!!

for lung cancer to take fuller affect make them start at 5 so then their lungs are weakened and they die quicker for a faster effect on the world
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL

T_T
They should be placed into areas where there really is serious anti-social behaviour. But still, most gangs will just move a few metres down the road without the 'mosquito' and linger there.
NOPE.
Quote by Eggmond

Wow, welcome to 2004.

~
And back on track, I think it's a pretty good idea.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Skullbolt
NO!!!!

for lung cancer to take fuller affect make them start at 5 so then their lungs are weakened and they die quicker for a faster effect on the world

Good man
Quote by tymatt67
kinky = using a feather , perverted = using whole chicken.

These things are arse annoying. Sure, if it's in a sensible place, I'm all for it. But when they're placed at parks and playing fields, it's a nuciance.
Saw this on the news today, if I get one in my town God help me I will destroy it.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by daytripper75
um, shop owners have the right to tell people they cant just stand around in front of their establishment. its called loitering, and at least here in the US there are often times signs posted that say "No Loitering."

i cant blame them honestly. if i owned a shop i wouldnt want a group of people just standing around in front of it for no reason. now if they are patrons of my establishment, thats fine, but if they are just standing around blocking the front of my shop, i dont want them there.

not to say that the mosquito thing is the proper solution, but i think the goal they are trying to achieve is perfectly fine.

The problem with that is neds can't read.
My band played a gig in a small, posh village in the summer. We were walking from the big playing field where we were playing down to the shop to get something to drink. Almost every house we walked past had those stupid beep noises. It's really annoying and unfair on the people who aren't doing anything.

Plus, the vandals will want to cause trouble just to get back at the people who install the stupid noises.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Remember chavs are only a product of their enviroment, thats why you don't see chavs in affluent areas. They reside in council estates and their future there is bleak. The youth problems involving youth in this country (UK) are all down to neglect from the goverment, until now, but its too late.
Also: If they don't cause trouble near the shop with the device, they'll move on to somewhere without a device. This is not a solution.
that's got to piss off dogs
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL

T_T
Originally Posted by Skullbolt
that's got to piss off dogs

haha
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by meh17
Remember chavs are only a product of their enviroment, thats why you don't see chavs in affluent areas. They reside in council estates and their future there is bleak. The youth problems involving youth in this country (UK) are all down to neglect from the goverment, until now, but its too late.

Affluence doesn't preclude neds/chavs/w/e. It just means there are slighlty less assholes with more money to spend on cheap drink, and they tend to drink away from home, because they're relaly just pretend neds who are scared Mama and Papa will take away their car and driver if they get into trouble.
Quote by filthandfury
If we want to scare off chavs, why not just play some good music?

that's so simple why did no one think of that before?
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL

T_T
Quote by Eggmond

I used to have it but unfortunately half of my teachers could still hear it. Good thing though is that they just told me to turn it off.
Quote by MightyAl
Affluence doesn't preclude neds/chavs/w/e. It just means there are slighlty less assholes with more money to spend on cheap drink, and they tend to drink away from home, because they're relaly just pretend neds who are scared Mama and Papa will take away their car and driver if they get into trouble.

There aren't many rich chavs about. And the minority that do exist don't end up with four ASBOs and three GCSEs. It's not their fault, it's where they were brought up.
I only read the first few posts, but I heard on the radio that someone somewhere managed to get some of them turned off in his area. Go him.

I think the whole thing is daft really, although there haven't been any in our town... I haven't heard any, anyway.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

We have them in the town next to mine and I can hear them clearly all the time.
I've not been there in about a year now.
Nice thought, shame it doesn't really work.
There's a few in my town. It's really the worst when you get out of a car so it just hits you unexpectedly. It actually hurts in some cases.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Quote by Oli_88
We have them in the town next to mine and I can hear them clearly all the time.
I've not been there in about a year now.
Nice thought, shame it doesn't really work.

Seems like a good way to lose customers.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by JamieB
Seems like a good way to lose customers.

Indeed, I've really fancied a Mint Aero Latte recently too. Hmmf.