Page 1 of 2
Sublime's genre has been disputed, spread out over many genres, but i think they are a great band. Discuss stuff about them here.

I personally think that Brad Nowell was somewhat of a genius songwriter, though his technical guitar ability is low. Thoughts?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
well, i absolutely love sublime and have all of their stuff. Bradley Nowell is a brilliant songwriter and singer, and i agree that he is not an amazing guitarist. He is a very underated guitarist. I mean he's no guitar god and doesnt shred, but he can keep a great rhythm and his leads fit the songs absolutely perfectly. Its not how many nps you play or how you shred, but how it sounds and his stuff sounds great.
great band i'm pretty sure i have all there albums, and i agree very underrated guitarist.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
meh, i'd say they fit in modern rock better.

He had style as a guitarists, which will take you much farther than technical ability
You know I always liked sublime, but that was only when I heard some of their mainstream releases. Recently I came into a whole new collection of sublime and oh my god that was a great band. I feel like shedding a tear after every time I finish listening to Smilin and it cuts off.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Greatest Hits is awesome, but the Scarlet Begonias cover and Jailhouse might have to take the win for me
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Sublime is a great 90's band. Jailhouse, Pawn Shop, What I Got, Santeria, and Burritos are sweet songs.
Quote by Myou249
Sublime is a great 90's band. Jailhouse, Pawn Shop, What I Got, Santeria, and Burritos are sweet songs.

Do you have 40 oz. or just self-titled?
I'm just asking because of your song list, dont be offended
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Do you have 40 oz. or just self-titled?
I'm just asking because of your song list, dont be offended

Its cool.
I only have the self titled and an EP by them.
I have heard bits and pieces of their other albums, but not enough to critique them yet.
Quote by Myou249
Its cool.
I only have the self titled and an EP by them.
I have heard bits and pieces of their other albums, but not enough to critique them yet.

You should definitely, DEFINITELY get 40 oz.
I originally was in the same case as you.. I had a good base of the popular songs on the other albums, but I only had self-titled and loved the hell out of it.
However, after listening to 40 oz., you cannot stop. It's one of those albums that engraves itself into your brain and yearns for a listen.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I originally was in the same case as you.. I had a good base of the popular songs on the other albums, but I only had self-titled and loved the hell out of it.
However, after listening to 40 oz., you cannot stop. It's one of those albums that engraves itself into your brain and yearns for a listen.

I keep seeing it at FYE, but I never think about getting it. Sadly, the only songs I know that are on it are Badfish and Date Rape..
Thanks for the suggestion. If I see it there next time, I will snag it.
Sublime was a third-wave ska band (hence the Sublime Thread in the Punk & Ska forum). I don't know why people seem to think they were an alt-rock band or something.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by vintage x metal

I think 40 oz. to Freedom is my favorite album of all time. I mean, none of the songs (except Badfish and Scarlet Begonias) really stand out, it just has the best overall feel I've ever heard in an album. As for my favorite Sublime songs, you can't go wrong with Roots of Creation, Scarlet Begonias, Badfish, What Happened, Get Out!, Falling Idols, STP, or Superstar Punani. Seriously, I know like 99% of their songs backwards and forwards
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Badfish is my favourite sublime song

I can't really listen to sublime for a long time, their songs sound too simular and the style just gets old.
I have a thing where I'll get totally obsessed with them for a month, then they get old and I move on to RHCP for a month. Rinse and Repeat.

I'm in the middle of a Sublime month right now
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I get album obsessed too. I was on a two month 40 oz spree during the summer... and a while before that, a self-titled infatutaion. I havent had one with robbin the hood yet, but i listen to bits and pieces of it constantly, and Saw Red is one of my favorite songs of all time..

But really, there is very little in the music world that can top my listening experiences with that band. My god. 40 oz is like a nice little soundtrack etched into my walls
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Yeah if Robbin' had a little less Soliloquies and a little more music, it would be awesome.

*looks at avatar* but that doesn't mean it's not one of my favorite albums
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Last edited by lushacrous at Feb 13, 2008,
Yeah! That and a lot of the guitar/lyrics is seen again in self-titled
40 oz was well done but you could tell it was a first, then robbin' was all over the place and pretty untouched, and then s/t was the most produced.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Yeah, I'd do just about anything to see what direction they'd head to next. Brad's death was one of the most untimely deaths ever.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Oh man yes. I cant even imagine what they'd make after that.. it progressed so well..
such an unfortunate thing
=[
I guess it leaves them untainted though, which is kinda nice if you look on the bright side.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Peaceful Rocker

one of my favorite songs of all time...
The most talented man on earth...
I think that Sublime is good but overrated by poser high school "hippy" girls around the world (at least, in my high school..)
i agree with everyone that he was a good guitarist in creativity and rhythm, i just meant his technical prowess as a soloist isnt top tier
he is still great, and a musical genius, imo
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Shackman10
I think that Sublime is good but overrated by poser high school "hippy" girls around the world (at least, in my high school..)

My high school has around 400 or so people in it and, being completely honest, no more than 30 of them even know who Sublime was. MTV=Everything they know about music. It makes me sad that people don't know that such great music is out there.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

everyone at my school went from being wanna be gansters to wanna stoners, they all wear grateful dead shirt, and if you ask them their favorite song it will always be casey jones or truckin and thats all they'll know. they all look grungy and dirty haha
My school is might as well be a Sublime fanbase. I started liking them long before I went there, but.. EVERYONE likes them. At least 300 people in it own Sublime shirts. Then again, ym school is also herb central, so.. not surprised.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

all the people at school listen to popular sublime after brad dies, then think they are extremely chill... then they turn around and listen to hip hop
posers
i listened to sublime before brad died, and now i cant stand date rape, they play it so much
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Man, I'd do anything to have someone to listen to Sublime with
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by lushacrous
Man, I'd do anything to have someone to listen to Sublime with

At least you have us
=]

It's good for bonding though. Me and my boy love them so it;s always an easy go-to when we're together
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

does anyone else think it is funny that john frusciante has a colossal thread but a thread about sublime dies young? lol
weird
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
does anyone else think it is funny that john frusciante has a colossal thread but a thread about sublime dies young? lol
weird

That's because the official Sublime thread is in the Punk and Ska forum
It has a substantial amount of posts, but isn't usually on the front page.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

oh.... but still it assuredly has less than the frusciante thread
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by vintage x metal
That's because the official Sublime thread is in the Punk and Ska forum
It has a substantial amount of posts, but isn't usually on the front page.

Because its on the Punk & Ska... I mean there is a not really used 311 thread here and I mean I would put 311 and Sublime in the same boat.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
This is my favorate band.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker

I love jack johnsons cover of that.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate