I'm changing one of my strat's two tone pots into a master tone, which leaves me with one unused pot. I could just leave it disconnected like I did on my other strat, but it would be nice to use it for something, seeing as it's there anyway.

I was thinking wiring as another tone control (also for all pickups), but with a different value tone cap, so that it has a different range. Other than that, I can't really come up with anything which doesn't involve a push-pull pot or a rotary switch.

Does anyone have any good ideas?
If you could some how put a phaser in there, and have the pot control the speed, that would be EPIC!!!!
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988
If you could some how put a phaser in there, and have the pot control the speed, that would be EPIC!!!!

Or, you could put a better phaser in a pedal, and control the speed with a much more handy expression pedal. And adding any sort of effects or boost is pointless if he dosn't want to worry about 9 volt batteries, which are kinda a pain to get to on a guitar that requires the strings off or very loose to access the underside of the pickguard.

Oh, just thought of an idea. I wired a couple of my squire strats so that the first tone control is wired to the neck, and the other tone is wired to the bridge. Handier than cutting my amps trebble when I flipped to the bridge and got ice-picked by trebble.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Or, you could put a better phaser in a pedal, and control the speed with a much more handy expression pedal. And adding any sort of effects or boost is pointless if he dosn't want to worry about 9 volt batteries, which are kinda a pain to get to on a guitar that requires the strings off or very loose to access the underside of the pickguard.

Oh, just thought of an idea. I wired a couple of my squire strats so that the first tone control is wired to the neck, and the other tone is wired to the bridge. Handier than cutting my amps trebble when I flipped to the bridge and got ice-picked by trebble.

Thanks, but I thought of that already. I much prefer having a master tone.

And I don't want/need effects in my guitar.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Feb 12, 2008,
I'll be in your shoes in a few months.

My solution: Volume control for a Graphtech Ghost piezo system
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
My strat style guitar has two master tones. I can't select between them but I can roll them both down for a very bassy sound or both at 10 for a treblier sound. I usually keep them at max because my caps cut a lot of the treble out, rolling them down does give you a very powerful deep tone.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
I recommend the "Chroma-caster" rotary switch from Deaf Eddie. He's a super nice guy and very helpful. It takes up one position (usually the middle tone) and allows for a wide variety of sought after pickup switching combos on a 3 single coil guitar. He has one for a "Fat Strat" as well if you have a humbucker in the bridge.

Link
Want to see some strange devices of audio electronic mayhem ? Check out my site
You could use the extra pot to do bass cut, instead of treble cut.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

+1, seems like the only mod that would actually be useful.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

How would I wire that (cap value, etc)?
anyone know exactly what kinda rotary switch i would have to buy to do the chromocaster fat strat w/e mod because it looks pretty cool and i dont feel like spenind 20 bucks on a switch when i can get it for like 10 elsewhere(probably even less than that )
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Last edited by mercinariesgtr at Feb 12, 2008,
i have a TBX tone control as my master tone, and a master volume. my other tone control doesn't do anything. it's too far for me to reach anyways.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mr_hankey
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

How would I wire that (cap value, etc)?

I've been wondering that myself...
Last edited by wiliscool at Feb 13, 2008,
could you wire it sos it was a volume knob, But changed the current as oppose to voltage?

it might have the effect of increasing inductance or something.
Quote by mercinariesgtr
anyone know exactly what kinda rotary switch i would have to buy to do the chromocaster fat strat w/e mod because it looks pretty cool and i dont feel like spenind 20 bucks on a switch when i can get it for like 10 elsewhere(probably even less than that )

I considered trying to find my own as well, but the one he sends you comes pre-wired. You only have to change 3 or 4 wires on your guitar and that's it. Worth the extra ten or so bucks if you ask me. You likley won't find the wiring schematic for it either because I looked for it before I bought one.

-Foot
Quote by footspedals
I considered trying to find my own as well, but the one he sends you comes pre-wired. You only have to change 3 or 4 wires on your guitar and that's it. Worth the extra ten or so bucks if you ask me. You likley won't find the wiring schematic for it either because I looked for it before I bought one.

-Foot

is it worth it(not having it wired but how it sounds) and im sure that the people around here could tell me how to wire it i have some deecent experience with electronics ( built a couple pedals and two amps )
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Quote by mercinariesgtr
is it worth it(not having it wired but how it sounds) and im sure that the people around here could tell me how to wire it i have some deecent experience with electronics ( built a couple pedals and two amps )

From what I've read, it's basically a parallel-series/phase/neck-on switch. It would be quite a easy to do it with normal switches, but you'd need at least three of them.

On topic:
I'm not interested in switching options (I've tried them).
Quote by mercinariesgtr

I've found it to be quite usable, but I haven't got to try it a ton because the strat I put it in needs some fret work done. I'm sure that it could be figured out relatively easily, I just like supporting the little buisness guys out there since I'm one too.

-Foot
could put a 3 way switch in there and use it as a tone switch a la the fender esquire
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by fender351
you could put a blender on there

Blender!, try This
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82