I just recieved some JJ E34Ls and some TS 12AX7s. Any finesse way to pull these suckers out of there, they're giving me a hard time. The amp is a peavey windsor btw.
Yeah, just pull. Maybe with a little side-to-side wiggle action. If you have a spring-loaded retaining clip, you'll have to push up on that. Note - when you work on amps, you should only use one arm at a time, that way if you get shocked it doesn't have an electrical path across your heart
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yeah, just pull. Maybe with a little side-to-side wiggle action.

thats what i tell my girlfriend

sorry had to.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Really? What kind of amp does she have?

HA
I mean it looks pretty basic. I just don't want to break the old tubes. The pre-amp tube covers pushed right off. The power tubes have those little rings around the bottom of them like in the Marshalls.
yea those rings are there for some support just pull and wiggle. use a rubber glove if you ahve to.
well, it's not exactly "support." They clamp down around the base. You'll have to push them up while wiggling the old tube loose.

Do you have one of those rubber jar openers? That might help, too.
Hi, I'm Peter
Just give them a couple good pulls, but don't man handle them, either.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Good news, all old power tubes are out. How do I remove the preamp tubes? I took the covers off of them and they're sticking out. Theres still half of the cover on them.
The X in 12AX7 must stand for excalibur. These bastards are not coming out. First one zipped right out, the other two are a pain.
HAHA good one. if you want you can unscrew the little things around them so that they are completely exposed and then pull them out that way.
THREADHIJACK5000!!!

when puting new tubes in, do you have to worry about not touching them with your hands cuz of hotspots and such.

you do with powerful lightbulbs
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yeah, can't really mess around with em barehanded. I took that precaution, and now my amp is apprently mute. I've got cabinet hum when I turn the master up, but no sound.
Are the tubes seated properly?
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
IF you have hum coming from the amp I would be lookign at other stuff.... guitar plugged all the way in? DO you have a switch on your cable to turn it off? I do and it gets me every so often
I don't think its that, I tried my fathers guitar, and still nothing, cable works fine too. Both of my cables are brand new. The hum isn't loud either. I turned the master up to 12 and the hum wasnt loud at all.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
THREADHIJACK5000!!!

when puting new tubes in, do you have to worry about not touching them with your hands cuz of hotspots and such.

you do with powerful lightbulbs

No. Not with tubes. They are completely evacuated inside (vacuum) unlike the quartz halogen bulbs you mention. In a bulb such as that, you will get hot spots on the quartz glass due to oil deposits which can shorten bulb life (quartz structure changes due to the extreme heat and can leak the halogen filler gas through that altered structure). Vacuum tubes do not run at that high a heat, and are made of regular glass. If you are concerned, handle them with a cloth, but some will last decades, even after being handled with bare hands over and over. Such treatment to a car headlight bulb is a death sentence.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I think i'm gonna shut it off and see if I put the tubes in right. All of the power tubes were glowing, and all the tubes went in nice and snug. I'm thinking it may be one of the preamp tubes, if anything.
Quote by Vulcan
No. Not with tubes. They are completely evacuated inside (vacuum) unlike the quartz halogen bulbs you mention. In a bulb such as that, you will get hot spots on the quartz glass due to oil deposits which can shorten bulb life (quartz structure changes due to the extreme heat and can leak the halogen filler gas through that altered structure). Vacuum tubes do not run at that high a heat, and are made of regular glass. If you are concerned, handle them with a cloth, but some will last decades, even after being handled with bare hands over and over. Such treatment to a car headlight bulb is a death sentence.

*awards this guy 1000 clever points*
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I think I've pinpointed it. I really couldnt see which way the pre amp tubes pins were aligned. I could clearly see one, and put it in right. It was warm. The other two pre amp tubes werent warm. I'm gonna re adjust them now.
Good to see it's working!
I was going to tell you to check the fuses. I figured I might as well keep this post here, for anyone that searches for a similar problem and finds this thread.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Hey to the Thread Starter, How much did those tungsol tubes increase your gain? Like say by numbers or something and what tube were in before. Just talking preamp here.