So my PC components arrived today so i could buld it. The specs/components are:

NZXT Hush Case
Arctic power 600watts PSU
2 x 1GB OCZ DDR2 6400 RAM
Asus PK5C Mobo
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB HDD
ATI Sapphire X1950 Pro
Intel E8400 2 x 3.0Ghz CPU

So it's all put together (as dictated by the manual) and whe I plug it in the Mobo LED lights up green. But, when I press the power button everything turns on for about half a second then turns off again (the case fans and CPU fan spin).
I've reset the Mobo using the CPU jumping... but im at a loss of what to do...

Any suggestions?

Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I acutally not sure of what it could be, I recognise the problem but dont know a solution...

but another question I have: You have a demo or somthing of your ENGL screamer to share with me? I'm consider buying one... If you have anything to say, write it here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785480
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
hmm i came across this problem before with a PC, i switched out the power supply with one i definately knew was working and it worked, so that may be worth trying.
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

The power supply is fine. The lights turn on and the fan spins so all is good. You might not have the connections made right. Check the wires that go from the power button to the mobo.
Make sure those are all on the right pins.
Make sure you put the motherboard power connectors in the right way. Same thing happened to me, and that was the problem. One way goes in much easier than the other, that should tell you. Hope that helps.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I h ave checked all the connections for the power supply to the mobo, and they're all fine. All plugged in the right way...
I just swapped out the CPU and put the P4 from my current machine in there and the same thing is happening, it's deffinatly something to do with the motherboard.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Did you install a OS? I am pretty sure the HDD is unformatted if you bought it all in parts. Maybe you should start the CPU with your OS disk that you bought right?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Have you tried all the mobo connections? it could be something else not functioning and causing it to not power-on properly.
^ Yeah it used the 4 pin and the 20 + 4 Pin plugs and they're all plugged in at the moment.
I've tried all the components plugged in and not plugged in and the same thing is happening every time.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^ Yeah it used the 4 pin and the 20 + 4 Pin plugs and they're all plugged in at the moment.
I've tried all the components plugged in and not plugged in and the same thing is happening every time.

Get a screwdriver and ground yourself of any static electricity. Find the area where the power pins are located (the pins that connect to your power button), and touch two pins at the same time (ONLY TWO) with your screwdriver until you find the ones that power up the computer. Hold them there, and see if your computer runs fine that way. That's so you can isolate your power-on pins.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
Did you say you tried it with the old CPU? Couldn't quite get the jist of what you said before.

What i would do, is try using an old hard drive, thats already formatted to an OS. See if that works.
^ Yes. I used the Pentium 4 from my old (but still current) computer in the CPU slot in the place of the E8400 i have for the new one.

I dont have the right cablage to do that.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Can you not use the cables from the new HD and just use an old on instead? If you know that works, you can hook up the new one to your old PC and format it on there.
I would still try swapping the power supply.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
OMG install the OS already. I already told you the answer to your problem.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
OMG install the OS already. I already told you the answer to your problem.

Just installing an OS isn't going to stop it powering itself off.

l2computer
No the HD isn't the problem its just not booting. Not even got to the HD reading part yet.
I dont have another PSU.
I can't install the OS, the system wont even get up to the BIOS.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by guitaristclass
No My dell doesn't support SATA HDs it uses some wierd one... it's not IDE either.
I dont have another PSU.
I can't install the OS, the system wont even get up to the BIOS.

Scroll up on this page, do what the guy who suggesting testing the power with screwdrivers did. I read it and it sounds like a good place to start.

Since we know its not the Power supply, the hard drive or the mobo, it would be a good place to start on everything else.

Nice specs on the PC btw. Is it going to be running Vista for gaming?
Id double check all wiring, also do the pin test to test out the PSU. Its the same test for bleeding a watercooled system.

Take out the Graphics card if its in, you can always install this later.

Failing that, kick the **** out of it.
I'm not sure exactly what im being told to do about the Pin test. And It's not the processor either.

No im running XP I can't be bothered with Vista till they sort the compatability out.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Ask on a pc forum, thats youre best bet.

It wont be the processor FFS

You have P-mail.
What I mean is, do you mean the power cables coming from the PSU or the pins on the motherboard itself?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
I'm not sure exactly what im being told to do about the Pin test. And It's not the processor either.

No im running XP I can't be bothered with Vista till they sort the compatability out.

Do you know where the pins that you connect the power button to are located? If you know the area, get a screwdriver and ground yourself from any static electricity. Touch and hold the screwdriver tip to two adjacent pins (any two, but make sure its ONLY two), and your system should power up when you touch the right ones. Take the screwdriver away, and the computer should still be running. Let it run for a few seconds to make sure there are no problems. If all is good, touch the pins again to power down the computer, and connect those pins via the power button connector.

There is a guide online for it, I'll try to find it.

EDIT: The pins on your motherboard.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
Ah i see, yeah i know where they are. I'll go and try it now.

EDIT: Tried it, same thing happened. Power on for .5s then straight off again.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by guitaristclass
Ah i see, yeah i know where they are. I'll go and try it now.

EDIT: Tried it, same thing happened. Power on for .5s then straight off again.

Then there's probably something wrong with the mobo. Try reordering that, and if that's not the case, reorder the PSU.

I hate when computer maintenance is a pain in the ass.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius